• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rape Culture: Brock Turner gets Six Months

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Six. Months. Not years. Three counts of sexual assault, and this scumbag will be out of county detention in three months.

Yep. That's the Rape Culture in the USA.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brock-turner-rapist-court-treated-120000230.html

Most reasonable people do not agree that the sentence fits the crime (three counts of felony sexual assault carry a maximum sentence of 14 years in state prison, and the prosecution had asked for six). But this is just the tip of the iceberg in an incredibly horrific rape case that highlights, at every step of the way, why rape culture is alive and well in the United States.

Here are 10 reasons why this case is even more awful than it looks at first glance.

Eh. Same old, same old. First off, are we even getting the whole story here? What was the judge's reasoning for handing out such a light sentence?

Secondly, even if everything being said here were true, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as the end result of "rape culture," so much "sports hero-worship culture"/corruption on the part of campuses themselves. Simple speaking, they are reluctant to lose they investment they've put into top athletes. The problem is that they basically treat hyper-aggressive meatheads like royalty just for being able to throw balls really well. Of course, that causes problems when they take that entitled attitude, and ultra-aggressive behavior, elsewhere.

Lastly... (Politically incorrect as it may be to point out), there legitimately are some women out there who are into having seriously rough, coercive, sex. They find it a turn-on to be "dominated." Given that they're often not pursuing that in the context of anything so structured as formal BDS&M, that can result in legitimate misunderstandings where a guy might think he's giving a girl what she wants, when he's really not.

I'm actually dating a girl right now who likes to play all like "No, no!" when she really means "yes"... Right up until she actually means "no." I almost got in trouble with it at one point.

It's like "Uuuummm... Maybe you should have a 'safe-word,' or something. I can't read your freaking mind."

Last edited:
Lastly... (Politically incorrect as it may be to point out), there legitimately are some women out there who are into having seriously rough, coercive, sex. They find it a turn-on to be "dominated." Given that they're not pursuing that in the context of anything so structured as formal BDS&M, that can result in legitimate misunderstandings where a guy might legitimately think he's giving a girl what she wants, when he's really not.

I would be willing to bet that an overwhelming percentage of people that are not predisposed to believing that rape culture is a myth would note this as a fairly prime example of rape culture.

It's like "Uuuummm... Maybe you should have a 'safe-word,' or something. I can't read your freaking mind."

Yes, you should have a safe word if that is a fantasy for your particular relationship.

Eh. Same old, same old. First off, are we even getting the whole story here? What was the judge's reasoning for handing out such a light sentence?

Secondly, even if everything being said here were true, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as the end result of "rape culture," so much "sports hero-worship culture"/corruption on the part of campuses themselves. Simple speaking, they are reluctant to lose they investment they've put into top athletes. The problem is that they basically treat hyper-aggressive meatheads like royalty just for being able to throw balls really well. Of course, that causes problems when they take that entitled attitude, and ultra-aggressive behavior, elsewhere.

The rape happened off campus.
Lastly... (Politically incorrect as it may be to point out), there legitimately are some women out there who are into having seriously rough, coercive, sex. They find it a turn-on to be "dominated." Given that they're often not pursuing that in the context of anything so structured as formal BDS&M, that can result in legitimate misunderstandings where a guy might think he's giving a girl what she wants, when he's really not.

I'm actually dating a girl right now who likes to play all like "No, no!" when she really means "yes"... Right up until she actually means "no." I almost got in trouble with it at one point.

How is that even remotely related to this case?

The woman he raped was intoxicated and unconscious.

I would be willing to bet that an overwhelming percentage of people that are not predisposed to believing that rape culture is a myth would note this as a fairly prime example of rape culture.

Yes, you should have a safe word if that is a fantasy for your particular relationship.

The fact of the matter is that it happens, dude. I wouldn't say that the popularity of things like "50 Shades of Gray" in our current culture - and all the unrealistic attitudes it espouses - really help much in that regard either.

Keep in mind. I'm a pretty freaking shy, and generally "hands off" guy. She told me she wanted me to be a bit more aggressive and domineering.

Then, when I actually tried that, she complained about it afterwards, telling me I was too "in her face," and "not listening." I'm just glad she managed to convey a firm "no" in a way I could understand before things went too far.

Yeah... Make no mistake. I'll bet these kinds of misunderstandings aren't exactly rare, especially when alcohol's involved. A lot of women fantasize about "bodice ripper" sorts of guys and romances, without really understanding what that's actually like in reality.

Last edited:
The rape happened off campus.

How is that even remotely related to this case?

The woman he raped was intoxicated and unconscious.

I was speaking generally. Like I said, can anyone point out the specific reasoning for letting him off so easy in this case?

She was unconscious according to the two witnesses who intervened in the sexual assault. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Well... Again, what was the judge's reasoning for letting him off so easy then?

Good lawyers with a lot of money behind them...plus, he's a dude.

Good lawyers with a lot of money behind them...plus, he's a dude.

What was the real justification? :roll:

All you posted was a completely one-sided opinion piece, basically calling the guy a "terrible person" half a dozen times, while saying next to nothing about the actual ruling.

What was the real justification? :roll:

All you posted was a completely one-sided opinion piece, basically calling the guy a "terrible person" half a dozen times, while saying next to nothing about the actual ruling.

The ruling was in there. A bunch of crap about clean record, upstanding citizen and showing remorse. Of course, that's exactly what the "rape culture" argument is about. How can a rapist be an upstanding citizen? And, the remorse....he blames the victim. The judge probably does too.

You mean like Mike Tyson? Or Brian Banks?

No, more like Kobie Bryant, Michael Jackson, Woody Allen, Charlie Sean and Sean Penn...although the last two only shot and/or beat women while holding them captive.

No, more like Kobie Bryant, Michael Jackson, Woody Allen, Charlie Sean and Sean Penn...although the last two only shot and/or beat women while holding them captive.

All of those were unproven. Rumors and he said/she said. You can't do any better?

The ruling was in there. A bunch of crap about clean record, upstanding citizen and showing remorse. Of course, that's exactly what the "rape culture" argument is about. How can a rapist be an upstanding citizen? And, the remorse....he blames the victim. The judge probably does too.

You betcha:

Addressing Turner, she said: "I made silly faces, let my guard down, and drank liquor too fast not factoring in that my tolerance had significantly lowered since college," she said. "The next thing I remember I was in a gurney in a hallway. I had dried blood and bandages on the backs of my hands and elbow. I thought maybe I had fallen and was in an admin office on campus. I was very calm and wondering where my sister was.
Brock Turner's father says son shouldn't suffer for '20 minutes of action'

They were both wrong. The sentence seems about right to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but weren't they minors? And so were sentenced under minor rules?

Their sentencing was light even under juvenile standards and they received preferential treatment throughout the process. One of them was even allowed to be temporarily released from detention so he could go to an All Star sporting event in California before the trial.

Their sentencing was light even under juvenile standards and they received preferential treatment throughout the process. One of them was even allowed to be temporarily released from detention so he could go to an All Star sporting event in California before the trial.

Understood. But they were, in fact, juveniles. Not unheard of that leniency be applied.

Understood. But they were, in fact, juveniles. Not unheard of that leniency be applied.

Leniency is for crimes like statutory rape involving these age ranges. It's not for privileged athletes who repeatedly rape a minor all night, post photos and videos of and about it while they laugh all over social media, then dump her unconscious body on her parents' lawn the next morning. Releasing such people so they can have a fun vacation before their trial is unheard of. At least, I'd never heard of such a thing before that case. It should also be noted that they wouldn't have been charged at all had it not been for the public outrage that exposed the crime, coverup, and lack of legal action.

We see the same sort of unwarranted leniency and special treatment in this case. An unremorseful athlete unquestionably guilty of rape who's yearbook photo is circulated instead of his mugshot and given a negligible sentence because the Judge is concerned about what prison time would to his future prospects rather than what is just.

Last edited:
Leniency is for crimes like statutory rape involving these age ranges. It's not for privileged athletes who repeatedly rape a minor all night, post photos and videos of and about it while they laugh all over social media, then dump her unconscious body on her parents' lawn the next morning. Releasing such people so they can have a fun vacation before their trial is unheard of. At least, I'd never heard of such a thing before that case. It should also be noted that they wouldn't have been charged at all had it not been for the public outrage that exposed the crime, coverup, and lack of legal action.

Again, we've all seen kids (especially rich ones) get away with (literally) murder. But it's not because of 'rape culture' but rather 'wealth and priveledge' culture.

how about "no," "stop," or "i'm passed out, so don't try to **** me?" those seem to work ok for most of us.

Back
Top Bottom