• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RANKING: Countries Where the Media is Most Free.

The myth about how "free and fair" the US media is.. needs to be shaken up and the truth needs to be brought to light.
According to your profile you currently live in Spain which is ranked even lower than the US. You may want to work on the media in your own nation before pompously lecturing us about ours.

so we can return to the day where US media (along with the BBC) was the cornerstone of freedom and democracy in the world... the days of Cronkite and Bernstien.
Oh yes Walter Cronkite. I agree, let's go back to the "good old days" when three network anchormen had a monopoly over the news. :roll:

that the administration goes after reporters. It puts them in line with Russia and other governments that do the same.
Except for the fact that Russian is over 100 notches lower on the list than the US is.

there is a myth in the heads of Americans that they are so perfect?
Just because Americans don't instantly bow at the altar of self-righteous rantings and longwinded bitchfests by people like yourself about how horrible we supposedly are does not mean that Americans believe that the country is "perfect."

How about owning up to the problems and try to fight to fix them? How about calling your congressman and demanding that he/she does something about the massive media companies that stifle competition in local areas?
Fine, now how about you write one single sentence acknowledging Spain's journalistic problems seeing as how you're even lower on the list than we are. Or do you only embrace smug criticism providing that the finger is pointed elsewhere?

The rankings have little to do with the actual journalists, but their working conditions. So yes population means nothing in that regard. If Liechtenstein has 5 journalist (that is quite insulting btw) and the government restricts them totally, owns all media and censors everything.. then they will be ranked at the bottom of the list.. regardless if they are 10k people or 100 million.

[...]

In the interest of avoiding a page long post, I've shortened the above quotation. Please reference post #24 for the original quote. I'll reference which paragraph I'm responding to via #s.

1. It's not insulting to Lichtenstein, it's probably the truth. How many domestic journalists can exist in a country of not even 40,000 people. Understand that your point is more about the institution of a free press rather than journalists themselves. Don't you think the number of domestic news outlets present in a country is direct indicator of that country's freedom of press? More of a quantitative measure, than subjective questionnaire...no?
2. So you don't believe that companies should be able to own news outlets? Maybe government should own the news? I don't understand why you think corporate news ownership is so bad.
3. The purpose of those questionnaires is to retrieve REAL DATA for REAL indicators. This questionnaire is SUBJECTIVE. Not useless, but again, more symbolic.
4. So you think that police and military in those situations intentionally targets journalists? So, if a journalist embeds him or herself in or around an enemy location, and that location is "hit", that is violence against journalists?
5. You assume that journalists can't be linked to terrorist organizations. In fact, they can. In this persons particular case, it sounds like he was detained based on legitimate circumstances to begin with. However, I do agree with your general point that these people need to be tried in some way to really determine guilt or innocence based on evidence available. That is beyond the scope of this thread though.
6. Same response at #2
7. And I conceded that point. I think that's more of a question about the transparency and legality of this administration than an indicator of the freedom of our press. It has had no effect on it's freedom...if anything, once uncovered BY THE PRESS, it only benefited the freedom of press by reaffirming its freedom.
8. Comparing us to Russia? Not even close. Most of Russia's big media outlets are state-owned or subsidized by the state. If they don't report positively, they get shutdown...simple as that. It's not administrative posturing...it's government control. I'm not saying our media is perfect, that is a straw man counterargument of course, but it is far freer than you suggest and those subjective rankings report. I'm also not arguing that European media sucks, so try not to be so sensitive.

We are down to #20 (Canada) that is a loss of 10 spots what the hell did we do? The one flaw to Reporters Without Borders is that they seem to massively flip out over small things and things that are common sense they see as evil.

I wouldn't worry about it. In reality, with the methodology they are using, there's not one bit of meaningful difference between #1, #20 and #40. Actual scores ("notes") stay under 25 for all of them ("25.17" being #53, Japan - not exactly a place known for rampant persecution of journalists - or non-journalists).

http://fr.rsf.org/IMG/pdf/classement_2013_gb-bd.pdf

Last edited:
According to your profile you currently live in Spain which is ranked even lower than the US. You may want to work on the media in your own nation before pompously lecturing us about ours.

Oh yes Walter Cronkite. I agree, let's go back to the "good old days" when three network anchormen had a monopoly over the news. :roll:

Except for the fact that Russian is over 100 notches lower on the list than the US is.

Just because Americans don't instantly bow at the altar of self-righteous rantings and longwinded bitchfests by people like yourself about how horrible we supposedly are does not mean that Americans believe that the country is "perfect."

Fine, now how about you write one single sentence acknowledging Spain's journalistic problems seeing as how you're even lower on the list than we are. Or do you only embrace smug criticism providing that the finger is pointed elsewhere?

Couldn't agree more. Not that foreign opinions aren't important or useful, but when they come on here and only try to convince AMERICANS that AMERICA is crap, forgive us for not taking you seriously anymore.

My nation is far above the US.. Denmark.

I was talking about the respect that he and others had in the population and around the world. Yes the media landscape was very different then, but journalists were real journalists who actually did investigative reporting. Now days most are pretty faces promoting sensationalism than real news.

Yes because the amount abuses Russia does to its press is far far greater than the US.. hence it is justified they are so much lower, but that does not change the fact that there are isolated organised abuses in the US as well.

Bull****.. the fact that you are defending your countries abuses of the media, and digging into nationalism and attack "my country".. which it was not.. shows that you are in denial of the problems in the American media and think everything is better than everywhere else.. it is not..far from it.

Oh there are plenty in Spain. They are more than often politically motivated, owned by even fewer companies than in the US and so on. But to my knowledge they have not attacked, imprisoned or killed journalists.. the US has. I am in no way gonna defend Spain and its ranking because I think it is justified. PLus it aint my country... I just live here.

My nation is far above the US.. Denmark.
Your profile does not say "Denmark." And that's what I was going off of.

but journalists were real journalists who actually did investigative reporting. Now days most are pretty faces promoting sensationalism than real news.
I saw an interview with Bob Woodward where he claims that there's more investigative journalism going on now than there ever has been before. All the journalists want to expose the next big scandal in order to make a name for themselves.

the fact that you are defending your countries abuses of the media, and digging into nationalism and attack "my country".. which it was not.. shows that you are in denial of the problems in the American media
The fact that I'm disagreeing with some of your rants and not just saying, "Oh yes Mr. European man, we Americans are just so terrible aren't we."...doesn't mean I believe the US media is perfect.

and think everything is better than everywhere else.. it is not..far from it.
Yes, I know. And you seem EXTREMELY eager to point that out to us....ad nauseam, possibly in order to compensate for some personal insecurity and/or butthurt.

Next time try taking the smugness level down by about 18 notches. You'll be better received.

In the interest of avoiding a page long post, I've shortened the above quotation. Please reference post #24 for the original quote. I'll reference which paragraph I'm responding to via #s.

1. It's not insulting to Lichtenstein, it's probably the truth. How many domestic journalists can exist in a country of not even 40,000 people. Understand that your point is more about the institution of a free press rather than journalists themselves. Don't you think the number of domestic news outlets present in a country is direct indicator of that country's freedom of press? More of a quantitative measure, than subjective questionnaire...no?

You are dismissing the study because it is a questionnaire, but it is more than just that.. there are quantitative measures also, like laws, ownership and more.. all that is quantitative.

Plus the amount of people in a country and possible news outlets is irrelevant as long as there are no barriers to starting and running a news outlet and being a journalist. There are no such rules in Lichtenstein. And I would suspect there are more than 5 people employed at the newspapers and tv news, plus lets not forget part of the quantitative issue is if the country has access to international news organisations and how they are treated both by the government and population at large.. which they have, and that is unrestricted.

2. So you don't believe that companies should be able to own news outlets? Maybe government should own the news? I don't understand why you think corporate news ownership is so bad.

No I dont.. I believe that corporate news ownership by mostly 5 corporations is bad. Consolidating news outlets in fewer and fewer ownerships is bad and especially bad when those owners actively go in and influence what can and can not be on the news and how it is portrayed. ... yes that is Newscorp.

3. The purpose of those questionnaires is to retrieve REAL DATA for REAL indicators. This questionnaire is SUBJECTIVE. Not useless, but again, more symbolic.

It is still a questionnaire asking the opinions of those being asked. Who says they are telling the truth.. hence the "real data" can be massively flawed because it is based on highly subjective answers. A good example.. in Saudi Arabia the census is a guy going around asking how many live in your home.. much like in the US. However women are not always counted as people so the actual population in Saudi Arabia is actually higher than what the census says it is.

Another good example of quantitative information is how media are treated. Remember this?

Nasdaq Joins in Ban of Al Jazeera - Los Angeles Times

or this?

Al Jazeera sues AT&T for dropping its American cable news network from U-verse 'in bad faith' | The Verge

or this?

Time Warner Cable Drops Current TV Upon Sale To Al Jazeera

Yes it is all about Al Jazerra but it shows that even in the private sector there is is defacto attempts on censorship.

Not to mention in the US military... blocking access to several news organisations, not only Al Jazzera.

4. So you think that police and military in those situations intentionally targets journalists? So, if a journalist embeds him or herself in or around an enemy location, and that location is "hit", that is violence against journalists?

Yes, US military forces intentionally targeted journalists in Iraq and Afghanistan. There is plenty of evidence of this. Of course they only targeted journalists that were not embedded.. and usually those news sources that were on the banned list... like Al Jazerra.

5. You assume that journalists can't be linked to terrorist organizations. In fact, they can. In this persons particular case, it sounds like he was detained based on legitimate circumstances to begin with. However, I do agree with your general point that these people need to be tried in some way to really determine guilt or innocence based on evidence available. That is beyond the scope of this thread though.

No I dont assume anything of the sort. Let me point out that he was grabbed in a non war zone, well knowing he was a journalist and he was held for 8 years with no trial and then released without being charged. How on earth can any of that be justified?

7. And I conceded that point. I think that's more of a question about the transparency and legality of this administration than an indicator of the freedom of our press. It has had no effect on it's freedom...if anything, once uncovered BY THE PRESS, it only benefited the freedom of press by reaffirming its freedom.

And when it is not? Lead up to the Iraq war.. massive amount of self censorship and chest thumbing by most US media. The US media were cheerleaders for the Bush administration and hounded those that disagreed with the Bush administration. I remember when some music stars stood up and were opposed to the war, they were hammered in most of the media as anti-American and worse.

8. Comparing us to Russia? Not even close. Most of Russia's big media outlets are state-owned or subsidized by the state. If they don't report positively, they get shutdown...simple as that. It's not administrative posturing...it's government control. I'm not saying our media is perfect, that is a straw man counterargument of course, but it is far freer than you suggest and those subjective rankings report. I'm also not arguing that European media sucks, so try not to be so sensitive.

It is not a comparison per say.. might be a language issue... I am trying to point out .. one or two abuses is one or two too many and hence the US is in the same boat as the mass abusers like Russia.

And to be fair.. Russian media is not fully government owned, far from it.. but it is owned by loyalists.. and how is that different from 5 companies owning most of the big media in the US? Most of the owners of big media in the US are allied with the right wing in one way or another. Some use their media empires to promote the right wing ideology, where as others dont.. for now.

I wouldn't worry about it. In reality, with the methodology they are using, there's not one bit of meaningful difference between #1, #20 and #40. Actual scores ("notes") stay under 25 for all of them ("25.17" being #53, Japan - not exactly a place known for rampant persecution of journalists - or non-journalists).

I'd have to agree. We're really talking about small variations in ranking between the westernised nations.

If I remember correctly they opposed our Youth Criminal Justice Act because it made it illegal to publish the names of youth offenders.

You are dismissing the study because it is a questionnaire, but it is more than just that.. there are quantitative measures also, like laws, ownership and more.. all that is quantitative.
Please explain how laws are quantitative other than number of laws. Please explain how ownership is quantitative in interpreting how that's relative to press freedom. These are either subjective outright or their interpretation is subjective.

Plus the amount of people in a country and possible news outlets is irrelevant as long as there are no barriers to starting and running a news outlet and being a journalist. There are no such rules in Lichtenstein. And I would suspect there are more than 5 people employed at the newspapers and tv news, plus lets not forget part of the quantitative issue is if the country has access to international news organizations and how they are treated both by the government and population at large.. which they have, and that is unrestricted.
I'm unaware that there are significant barriers to starting a news organization in the US. Good for Lichtenstein, apparently its 5 news outlets not 5 people Liechtenstein: 5 newspapers and other news sources, Kidon Media-Link. Must be quite hard to regulate such a prolific news state. Getting back to my original post saying if you are a small western nation, there is no excuse to have your stuff together.

No I dont.. I believe that corporate news ownership by mostly 5 corporations is bad. Consolidating news outlets in fewer and fewer ownerships is bad and especially bad when those owners actively go in and influence what can and can not be on the news and how it is portrayed. ... yes that is Newscorp.
So if you "believe" that is bad, isn't that subjective? Yes. Do you have any evidence that these 5 companies are in cahoots to steer public opinion toward something? In fact these companies have different opinions highlighted by the big media outlets biased in different ways. Here's a list of news organizations in America American Media Companies - See who owns the news media

It is still a questionnaire asking the opinions of those being asked. Who says they are telling the truth.. hence the "real data" can be massively flawed because it is based on highly subjective answers. A good example.. in Saudi Arabia the census is a guy going around asking how many live in your home.. much like in the US. However women are not always counted as people so the actual population in Saudi Arabia is actually higher than what the census says it is.

Another good example of quantitative information is how media are treated. Remember this?

Nasdaq Joins in Ban of Al Jazeera - Los Angeles Times

or this?

Al Jazeera sues AT&T for dropping its American cable news network from U-verse 'in bad faith' | The Verge

or this?

Time Warner Cable Drops Current TV Upon Sale To Al Jazeera

Yes it is all about Al Jazerra but it shows that even in the private sector there is is defacto attempts on censorship.

Not to mention in the US military... blocking access to several news organisations, not only Al Jazzera.

3 points. 1. You're being dismissive now and disingenuous 2) Al Jazerra is experiencing some good old fashioned capitalism. The free market is free to decide if they want it or not. I guess your freedom of press includes forcing the market to except things they don't want. No wonder your such a Russian press fan. 3. If by "news organizations" you mean wiki-leaks, then ok. I don't include them among news organizations. They are an anarchist drop box.

Yes, US military forces intentionally targeted journalists in Iraq and Afghanistan. There is plenty of evidence of this. Of course they only targeted journalists that were not embedded.. and usually those news sources that were on the banned list... like Al Jazerra.

No I dont assume anything of the sort. Let me point out that he was grabbed in a non war zone, well knowing he was a journalist and he was held for 8 years with no trial and then released without being charged. How on earth can any of that be justified?

BS. If there is sooooo much evidence of this, where is it? I'm unaware of an organized military attempt to murder a bunch of journalists. BS. Do you have evidence that this guy is totally innocent of the accusations? Like I said, I agree with your view of GITMO generally, but I don't think you or I have the evidence to pass judgement on this one case.

And when it is not? Lead up to the Iraq war.. massive amount of self censorship and chest thumbing by most US media. The US media were cheerleaders for the Bush administration and hounded those that disagreed with the Bush administration. I remember when some music stars stood up and were opposed to the war, they were hammered in most of the media as anti-American and worse.
I agree that they could have done a better job in this one. However, the media can't just make up information. There was a lack of information available in this case, so they chose to believe the administration. Big mistake turns out. Regardless, self-censorship really has no relationship to freedom...because they do it to themselves. Not forced to do it.

It is not a comparison per say.. might be a language issue... I am trying to point out .. one or two abuses is one or two too many and hence the US is in the same boat as the mass abusers like Russia.

And to be fair.. Russian media is not fully government owned, far from it.. but it is owned by loyalists.. and how is that different from 5 companies owning most of the big media in the US? Most of the owners of big media in the US are allied with the right wing in one way or another. Some use their media empires to promote the right wing ideology, where as others dont.. for now.

Well, that is a false comparison or analogy..whatever your point is. A couple things you label as bad in our system and then comparing it to Russia is a ridiculous generalization...and I think you know that. Loyalists that benefit from their cooperation...as its been shown if you do not cooperate, you get shutdown. Also, most mainstream media is NOT right leaning....that is just false. Most of it leans liberal in fact.

Feel free to respond, but I can't get back to another response today.

If I remember correctly they opposed our Youth Criminal Justice Act because it made it illegal to publish the names of youth offenders.

That too. You have to remember, this is not about freedom of speech per se; this is about the ease of practicing journalism. Strongly connected, but not the same thing.

Don't understand. All civilised countries look after their citizens' health, obviously. What sort of sick bastards would do otherwise?

I don't consider waiting a year for surgery, or having the plug pulled on me after a certain age, as being "looked out for."

I don't consider waiting a year for surgery, or having the plug pulled on me after a certain age, as being "looked out for."

You must be too drunk to be considered. What on earth are you drivelling about? Been at the Fox, have we?

We look after our citizens health with a system that created the most advanced medical services system in the world. We have the most advanced research and development companies, the best equipped hospitals and if someone get sick it's law that they have to be treated in any hospital that receives federal grants. Most municipalities have hospitals that receive federal money.

Now we have Obamacare which forces people to buy a product that many don't want to buy, which takes profit out of healthcare and supporting industries, restricting budgets for R&D and limiting the ability of hospitals to keep up with technology or replace aging equipment. Just like Europe.

Unless you are poor, in which case you can just bloody die, hypocrite. I know people who've been there and seen your bloody wonderful system, which costs twice as much as ours and fails nearly everyone except the very rich.

"Reporters Without Borders" Press Freedom Index 2013

Top Ten Countries
--------------------------
1) Finland
2) Netherlands
3) Norway
4) Luxembourg
5) Andorra
6) Denmark
7) Liechtenstein
8) New Zealand
9) Iceland
10) Sweden

Worst Ten Countries
1) Eritrea
2) North Korea
3) Turkmenistan
4) Syria
5) Somalia
6) Iran
7) China
8) Vietnam
9) Cuba
10) Sudan

The United States ranked #32 between Suriname and Lithuania.

So they're saying we rose in the ranks. Nordic-bent of the study noted. Surprising that France wasn't in the list. You can't thank Obama for this.

For similar reasons, the United States rose
15 places to 32nd, recovering a ranking more
appropriate to the “country of the First Amendment.”
Its previous year’s fall was due to the fact
that the crackdown on the Occupy Wall Street
movement did not spare reporters in the field.
Canada, on the other hand, fell 10 positions
to 20th, losing its status as the western hemisphere’s
leader to Jamaica (13th). This was due
to obstruction of journalists during the so-called
“Maple Spring” student movement and to continuing
threats to the confidentiality of journalists’
sources and Internet users’ personal data, in
particular, from the C-30 bill on cyber-crime.

Yup, Scandanavia are the most perfect, never anything bad with them. :roll: It's just too good to be true.

You must be too drunk to be considered. What on earth are you drivelling about? Been at the Fox, have we?

Resorting to personal insults are we?

On several measures, the NHS came out the worst of all the systems examined. For example, it ranked worst for five-year survival rates in cervical, breast and colon cancers. It was also worst for 30-day mortality rates after admission to a hospital for either hemorrhagic or ischemic stroke. On only one clinical measure was it best: the avoidance of amputation of the foot in diabetic gangrene.

This hardly seems like a cause for national rejoicing, yet according to the report, the British were the most satisfied with their healthcare of all the populations surveyed. They were the most confident that in the event of illness, they would receive the best and most up-to-date treatment; and they were the least worried that their personal finances would prevent them from receiving proper treatment.

So, how is it that the population most confident that it will receive treatment of the highest possible standard, featuring the latest medical advances, actually has the worst survival rates in precisely those diseases that require the most up-to-date treatments?

Traditionally, the NHS has been inexpensive compared with most healthcare systems. But this reality is changing quickly. The NHS was inexpensive in part because it rationed care by means of long waiting lists. I once had a patient who had waited seven years for a hernia operation. The surgery was repeatedly postponed so that a more urgent one might be performed.

So in otherwords, great job. You guys have the best "feel good" healthcare system with the worst results.

Not all rosy in Britain's healthcare system - Los Angeles Times

Unless you are poor, in which case you can just bloody die, hypocrite. I know people who've been there and seen your bloody wonderful system, which costs twice as much as ours and fails nearly everyone except the very rich.

Ignorance detected. Why don't you look up the rates of survival for nearly every form of cancer in the book and tell me how many of them the UK fairs better then the US in?

Ignorance detected. Why don't you look up the rates of survival for nearly every form of cancer in the book and tell me how many of them the UK fairs better then the US in?

Because every right-wing extremist has already quoted that. It is the one thing they've been able to find, as they watch the poor die. Poor sick buggers!

"Reporters Without Borders" Press Freedom Index 2013

Top Ten Countries
1) Finland
2) Netherlands
3) Norway
4) Luxembourg
5) Andorra
6) Denmark
7) Liechtenstein
8) New Zealand
9) Iceland
10) Sweden

Worst Ten Countries
1) Eritrea
2) North Korea
3) Turkmenistan
4) Syria
5) Somalia
6) Iran
7) China
8) Vietnam
9) Cuba
10) Sudan

The United States ranked #32 between Suriname and Lithuania.

Shows you how biased that index is.

Because every right-wing extremist has already quoted that. It is the one thing they've been able to find, as they watch the poor die. Poor sick buggers!

Get back to me when you check out how abysmally low your cancer survival rates are.

So what evidence have we that this craphound knows anything about the matter? Typical right-wing American bilge.

Typical left-wing rage, attack the messenger. Sorry you guys have a feel good healthcare system with piss poor results.

Get back to me when you check out how abysmally low your cancer survival rates are.

We have more cancer. Without the NHS we'd be like you poor sad sick sods, or worse. Are you rich enough to stay alive as long as we do, groveller?

We have more cancer. Without the NHS we'd be like you poor sad sick sods, or worse. Are you rich enough to stay alive as long as we do, groveller?

Our average life expectancy is 79 years, and yours is 80. Huge ****ing difference there, eh?

Back
Top Bottom