• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rangel, ethics panel lawyers talking settlement

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON – New York Democrat Charles Rangel made a last-minute effort Tuesday to settle his ethics case and prevent a House trial that could embarrass him and damage the Democratic Party.

The talks between Rangel's lawyer and the House ethics committee's nonpartisan attorneys were confirmed by ethics Chairman Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif. Lofgren said she is not involved in the talks, and added that the committee's lawmakers have always accepted the professional staff's recommendations in previous plea bargains.

Rangel, a 40-year House veteran who is 80 years old, would have to admit to multiple, substantial ethics violations for any plea bargain to be accepted. Earlier negotiations broke down when Rangel would only admit to some allegations — not enough to satisfy the committee lawyers, according to people familiar with those talks who were not authorized to be quoted by name.

If the talks are not successful, trial proceedings for the Harlem congressman would begin Thursday with a reading of alleged ethics violations that are still confidential.

Rangel, ethics panel lawyers talking settlement - Yahoo! News

You want to know what the problem is in DC? Well friends you're looking at it. Best not to listen to dem leadership who constantly whine about Reps hold them up, and more toward slime like Rangel, who in Pelosi's most ethical congress in history, is tagged with numerous ethics charges. He said he wouldn't step aside, then he did. He said he wouldn't take a deal, now he is. What a dictionary definition of a corrupt slime ball.

j-mac

Funny really as soon as the media begins to take up a story, those affected also begin to seriously think of their own standing within their community, as for instance John 'The Foreign built Yacht' Kerry, now we have Rangel who desperately wants his 'record' to be seen, as having been totally above board throughout his distinguished career
I wonder how long he can spin negotiations out before he finally has to actually accept some minute responsibility for those misdeeds he will doubtless be accused of?

Last edited:
Funny really as soon as the media begins to take up a story, those affected also begin to seriously think of their own standing within their community, as for instance John 'The Foreign built Yacht' Kerry, now we have Rangel who desperately wants his 'record' to be seen, as having been totally above board throughout his distinguished career
I wonder how long he can spin negotiations out before he finally has to actually accept some minute responsibility for those misdeeds he will doubtless be accused of?

If the past is any indicator, Rangel will get a standing ovation on the floor of the house, and a promotion within the dem party back to his chairmanship....

However, had this been any republican in that position the calls for their resignation would be deafening.

j-mac

I do seem to recall a Democratic politician who was found to have (I believe) some $90,000 in his deep freeze.
As I recall that case took an inordinate length of time to be settled.
And even when some form of justice was delivered, this gentleman was still able to enjoy the pension attached to his job as a politician

IMO I believe that these people imagine that they are elected so that instead of them serving us, we should serve them.

You want to know what the problem is in DC? Well friends you're looking at it. Best not to listen to dem leadership who constantly whine about Reps hold them up, and more toward slime like Rangel, who in Pelosi's most ethical congress in history, is tagged with numerous ethics charges. He said he wouldn't step aside, then he did. He said he wouldn't take a deal, now he is. What a dictionary definition of a corrupt slime ball.

j-mac

The only deal Rangel should be allowed to have is one that includes prison time. Yea, we might have seen a lot of corruption under Bush, but guess what? Bush isn't in office. Obama is, and he promised to clean this crap up. Well, Barack? What are you going to do? The same? Yea, I thought so. So much for change.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Back
Top Bottom