• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Randy Cunningham admits to taking bribes

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
SAN DIEGO - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock, pleaded guilty to graft and tearfully resigned Monday, admitting he took $2.4 million in bribes mostly from defense contractors in exchange for government business and other favors.

"The truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my office," the 63-year-old Republican said at a news conference. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."

He could get up to 10 years in prison at sentencing Feb. 27 on federal charges of conspiracy to commit bribery and fraud, and tax evasion.

Investigators said Cunningham, a member of a House Appropriations subcommittee that controls defense dollars, secured contracts worth tens of millions of dollars for those who paid him off. Prosecutors did not identify the defense contractors.
I think they should reveal who these defense contractors are.

Cunningham, a swaggering former flying ace with the Navy during the Vietnam War, was known on Capitol Hill for his interest in defense issues and his occasional outbursts.

In court documents, prosecutors said Cunningham admitted receiving at least $2.4 million in bribes paid in a variety of forms, including checks totaling over $1 million, cash, antiques, rugs, furniture, yacht club fees and vacations.

Among other things, prosecutors said, Cunningham was given $1.025 million to pay down the mortgage on his Rancho Santa Fe mansion, $13,500 to buy a Rolls-Royce and $2,081 for his daughter's graduation party at a Washington hotel.

"He did the worst thing an elected official can do — he enriched himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put him there," U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/ap_on_go_co/congressman_s_house_19;_ylt=AqYhFL.6fjR_0FfwBxomDumGbToC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

SAN DIEGO - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock, pleaded guilty to graft and tearfully resigned Monday, admitting he took $2.4 million in bribes mostly from defense contractors in exchange for government business and other favors.

"The truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my office," the 63-year-old Republican said at a news conference. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."

He could get up to 10 years in prison at sentencing Feb. 27 on federal charges of conspiracy to commit bribery and fraud, and tax evasion.

Investigators said Cunningham, a member of a House Appropriations subcommittee that controls defense dollars, secured contracts worth tens of millions of dollars for those who paid him off. Prosecutors did not identify the defense contractors.
Now this is one outrageous story. Remember the GOP's "Contract With America"?
As Republican Members of the House of Representatives and as citizens seeking to join that body we propose not just to change its policies, but even more important, to restore the bonds of trust between the people and their elected representatives.
OK Republicans...please spin your magic out of the current events of the day with so many GOP politicians under indictment or already pleading guilty?

Here's the new GOP credo:
Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely

Didnt he used to quarterback for the Eagles?
Cant trust those sports stars....

They should reveal those defense contractors. They should be forced to work for chump change if at all.

26 X World Champs said:
OK Republicans...please spin your magic out of the current events of the day with so many GOP politicians under indictment or already pleading guilty?

Why assume that there will be spinning? If he broke the law, which is what he is admitting to, then he needs to go to jail. Sounds like the only spin is coming from you, Champs. Save your hate for another day.

The Dukester goes down, the Dukester goes down.

Didn't I hear Rush (maybe it was Hannity??) just last week tell me how this was nothing but a left wing smear campaign and that Cunningham was completely innocent?

Well corruption just doesn't feel good does it?

Under what authority might one be FORCED to work for chump change? That's a silly hope. In that case, I hope a fish appears on your head while you are sleeping. Now THAT would be funny. Too bad my will has no effect on matter.

The defense contractors are a concern however, as they have been. I am curious if anyone knows the history of America's dependance on the arms industry? I find it very frightening that our survival is propped against the necessity of conflict. Conflict, that can have very adverse affects on the economy of ecology ;) .

Once again, the liberals take a situation they don't agree with and jump at the oppurtunity to demonize "another piece of corporate swine." This is self destructive. Liberals: Nobody is going to listen to you. It's not because they don't want to hear it. It's because they CAN'T hear it. You are a princess screaming for justice from your ivory tower. Act in this world which you profess to either have mastered or remark that it's ways enslave us. It's not a question of what SHOULD be done, it's HOW you do it that matters.

One might ask; is this a diversionary tactic? What's really at work here? Instead of getting your panties in a rut, ask why.

The above statements are directed to the whiners.

2.4 Million is chump change to these guys, by the way. :2wave:

Pacridge said:
The Dukester goes down, the Dukester goes down.

Didn't I hear Rush (maybe it was Hannity??) just last week tell me how this was nothing but a left wing smear campaign and that Cunningham was completely innocent?

Did you? Gosh, I bet there would be a link to that. Please provide it. Thanks.

KCConservative said:
Why assume that there will be spinning? If he broke the law, which is what he is admitting to, then he needs to go to jail. Sounds like the only spin is coming from you, Champs. Save your hate for another day.

Agree, If he broke the law, which is what he is admitting to, then he needs to go to jail...... Whats to spin?

akyron said:
Agree, If he broke the law, which is what he is admitting to, then he needs to go to jail...... Whats to spin?
Could it be the left just can't get enough bashing?:thinking

KCConservative said:

Yeah, I always have links to stuff I hear on the radio.

I probably could find a link with something to the effect. But it's not going to come from rush.com or hannity.com. It's going to come from someplace like mediamatters.com or some other left leaning site. I'll save myself the time and not bother.

If you want to believe it wasn't said, doesn't effect me. I sleep fine at night knowing I'm certain as to what I heard.

I wonder how many other defense contractors have bought out politicians. Our national security could easily be based on which contractors give the best bribes rather than which ones do the best jobs.

TheSushiKing said:
Under what authority might one be FORCED to work for chump change?e:

Fines after being charged and found guilty with tampering with government contracts. It shouldnt be too hard since the guy just admitted it. Many of these contracts have been going for years and much work has already been done. Hence the rebate angle.

I thought Duke's resignation speech was pretty good although the crocodile tears reminded me of Jimmy Swaggert
swaggart.jpg

The culture of corruption is finally coming to the surface. It's amazing how long it took to get out to the corporate media, but it's finally coming out.

Pathetic speech. He managed to apologize to his family, but not the American people!

Binary_Digit said:
He managed to apologize to his family, but not the American people!

I noted that as well. He seemed more distraught at being caught than anything else.

26 X World Champs said:
OK Republicans...please spin your magic /QUOTE]

Looks like he got caught. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Looks like the Republicans here are all saying he should pay. Looks like your hate is showing champs. Nice try.

KCConservative said:

Why can't you take Pacridge at his word? In situations like this I feel the onus is on the questioner to prove something wrong. And if you do THEN go for the throat. We should on this site give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Otherwords, what's the point? Links are damn near useless IMO. I can show you a link supporting Billo's back hair being attractive to the ladies.

Pacridge said:
I probably could find a link with something to the effect. But it's not going to come from rush.com or hannity.com. It's going to come from someplace like mediamatters.com or some other left leaning site. I'll save myself the time and not bother.

Translation: No.

teacher said:
Why can't you take Pacridge at his word? In situations like this I feel the onus is on the questioner to prove something wrong.

Then you still have a few things to learn about debating. The one making the claim has the burden to prove. He didn't hear Rush or Sean say any such thing and he's already said he isn't going to bother supplying anything to substantiate his claim...because he can't.

KCConservative said:
Then you still have a few things to learn about debating. The one making the claim has the burden to prove. He didn't hear Rush or Sean say any such thing and he's already said he isn't going to bother supplying anything to substantiate his claim...because he can't.

Whatever, I believe him. Debate styles differ.

Water is wet. Shall I provide a link?

teacher said:
Why can't you take Pacridge at his word? In situations like this I feel the onus is on the questioner to prove something wrong. And if you do THEN go for the throat. We should on this site give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Otherwords, what's the point? Links are damn near useless IMO. I can show you a link supporting Billo's back hair being attractive to the ladies.
What about those buttocks on his head? That could get tough to find.

teacher said:
Whatever, I believe him. Debate styles differ.

Water is wet. Shall I provide a link?

If I wanted to take issue with your statement and challenge you on whether water is wet, then yes, you would have to support your claim. I know better, though. Water is wet and no one disputes that.

Pacridge, however, is claiming that Rush and Hannity defended Cunningham on the air, declaring him innocent. I do take issue with that claim and have asked Pacridge to support it. He said he could if he wanted to, but that he doesn't want to. So, he chose not to. :roll:

That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Last edited:
galenrox said:
yeah, but you're also taking issue with Pacridge asking a question. He said "Didn't Rush or Hannity say something about this being left wing smear and that Cummingham was completely innocent?", if you recall correctly. Now if he was trying to state that as fact, wouldn't he have decided whether it was Rush or Hannity talking?

And in post #10, pacridge went further, clarifying his claim:

"If you want to believe it wasn't said, doesn't effect me. I sleep fine at night knowing I'm certain as to what I heard."

try and keep up, gale. ;)

galenrox said:
Still, he wasn't stating it as certain clear fact. If he was doing something that required a link, he would've said if it was Hannity or Rush dude!

You did get me though.:doh
Hannity and Limbaugh both have links to their full show transcripts. If pacridge heard either one of them say it, then he could easily produce the quote. The reason he isn;t coming forward with anything is because it didn't happen. It is customary to run off after being backed into a corner. Case in point: Pacridge. ;)

galenrox said:
Or it could be that he did hear it, but doesn't want to read through the entire transcripts of the Hannity and Rush shows.
Plus, considering that the transcripts of these shows are posted by people who work under Rush and Hannity, wouldn't it be reasonable to believe that they might delete something once it proved to be wrong?

:roll: Hey, look over there. Was that someone running from the grassy knoll?

Come on gale, you're really reaching now.

Back
Top Bottom