Slayer of the DP Newsbot
- Aug 27, 2005
- Reaction score
- Houston, TX
- Political Leaning
U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul says he is a "board-certified" ophthalmologist -- even though the national clearinghouse for such certifications says he hasn't been for the past five years.
Rand Paul, who practices in Bowling Green, says he is certified by the National Board of Ophthalmology, a group that he incorporated in 1999 and that he heads. But that entity is not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, which works with the American Medical Association to approve such specialty boards.
Now, before everyone starts blasting away at Rand Paul, let me make a couple of points.
1) Rand Paul WAS certified up until about 5 years ago.
2) Certification with a sponsored group costs a lot of money.
3) Rand Paul saw this as extortion.
4) So Rand Paul created his own specialty board, and certified himself.
5) Rand Paul is still the same guy, with the same abilities he had 5 years ago.
Rather than telling me that Rand Paul is incompetent, it tells me that he practices his Libertarian views in real life. He is going to take a lot of heat here, and this may very well cost him his Senate race, but kudos to him for practicing what he preaches. If I lived in Kentucky, I would still vote for him.
Article is here.