• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rand Paul to travel to Canada for hernia surgery

lurchadams

Zoom Warrior
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/politics/rand-paul-canada-surgery/index.html

So Rand Paul is an American doctor. He and his fellow GOP nutbirds are always bashing the Canadian healthcare system and here he is going there for surgery.

There are so many things I hate about Rand Paul. First of all he's a ****ing wimp with bird bones. Remember when his neighbor tackling him on a lawn left Paul with several broken ribs? Can you imagine if a football player broke his ribs every time they're tackled on grass?

Then there's Paul's "fake maverick" act. He'll pretend to oppose the draconian horse**** his party is doing because he's a malignant attention whore who actually thinks he's going to get elected president someday - then he changes his mind and falls in line with the GOP when it really matters.

I really hate Paul.

And McConnel, and Nunes, and Grassley, and Cruz, and oh my gosh - Louie Gohmert? That guy is a major cuckoo ****face!

I have a lot of consternation built up, I guess.

So Rand Paul is an American doctor. He and his fellow GOP nutbirds are always bashing the Canadian healthcare system and here he is going there for surgery.

There are so many things I hate about Rand Paul. First of all he's a ****ing wimp with bird bones. Remember when his neighbor tackling him on a lawn left Paul with several broken ribs? Can you imagine if a football player broke his ribs every time they're tackled on grass?

Then there's Paul's "fake maverick" act. He'll pretend to oppose the draconian horse**** his party is doing because he's a malignant attention whore who actually thinks he's going to get elected president someday - then he changes his mind and falls in line with the GOP when it really matters.

I really hate Paul.

And McConnel, and Nunes, and Grassley, and Cruz, and oh my gosh - Louie Gohmert? That guy is a major cuckoo ****face!

You should have to deal with BOTH Turtleman and Birdbrain robin as your Reps.....it is embarrassing.

I really hate Paul.

You seem to miss the part where the hospital he is going to is a private, for cash, hospital. If you are trying to use this to promote socialized medicine then you picked the wrong story and the wrong hospital.

You seem to miss the part where the hospital he is going to is a private, for cash, hospital. If you are trying to use this to promote socialized medicine then you picked the wrong story and the wrong hospital.

I missed nothing. There are many great hospitals in The States. He and his party have been bashing the Canadian healthcare system. The hospital Paul is visiting is Canadian.

I think the above about sums up the malignant hypocrisy of the GOP party and by extension, the conservative movement that embraces it.

I missed nothing. There are many great hospitals in The States. He and his party have been bashing the Canadian healthcare system. The hospital Paul is visiting is Canadian.

I think the above about sums up the malignant hypocrisy of the GOP party and by extension, the conservative movement that embraces it.

No, he has bashed their socialized healthcare system. He is using a private facility OUTSIDE that system. While I am personally in favor of universal healthcare, Paul isn’t being hypocritical in this case.

LOL. So what you really want in the US is more concierge Hospitals like the one in Canada? That isn't the narrative you are looking for....

No, he has bashed their socialized healthcare system. He is using a private facility OUTSIDE that system. While I am personally in favor of universal healthcare, Paul isn’t being hypocritical in this case.

Ok, please bear with me on this: Appearances matter in politics, right? Again, bear with me.. you'll see where I'm going with this momentarily...

LOL. So what you really want in the US is more concierge Hospitals like the one in Canada? That isn't the narrative you are looking for....

I'm looking for nothing. When I see blatant hypocrisy I point it out. That's why I love this forum so much and people like you I can metaphorically "bash over the head" with this stuff.

Thank you!

I'm looking for nothing. When I see blatant hypocrisy I point it out. That's why I love this forum so much and people like you I can metaphorically "bash over the head" with this stuff.

Thank you!

HAHAHA! Who do you think you are fooling, lurch?

As an Ontarian citizen, I can go this hospital and pay exactly the same amount I'd pay at a standard hospital - zero for the basic treatment, a bit extra for the frills. I know, because I contacted them yesterday to research for a duplicate thread. You can too - they have live chat on their website. :)

As an Ontarian citizen, I can go this hospital and pay exactly the same amount I'd pay at a standard hospital - zero for the basic treatment, a bit extra for the frills. I know, because I contacted them yesterday to research for a duplicate thread. You can too - they have live chat on their website. :)

And by "frills" you mean "schedule surgery sometime before 2024"? :2razz:

And by "frills" you mean "schedule surgery sometime before 2024"? :2razz:

No...I mean, upgrading to a semi-private room, and additional nights accommodation, above and beyond what the same surgery would receive in a standard hospital (standard is one night, this hospital recommends 3, so I'd pay for the extra 2). Those appeared to be the only costs associated, above and beyond what our health care system covers.

EDIT: And the upcharge is the same as you'd pay at a standard hospital for the same upgrades.

Can you provide us with some examples where he bashed private doctors in Canada?

No...I mean, upgrading to a semi-private room, and additional nights accommodation, above and beyond what the same surgery would receive in a standard hospital (standard is one night, this hospital recommends 3, so I'd pay for the extra 2). Those appeared to be the only costs associated, above and beyond what our health care system covers.

EDIT: And the upcharge is the same as you'd pay at a standard hospital for the same upgrades.

Yeah, I was just reading up on their website. And what do the additional days cost, out of curiosity? They don't list the costs on their website.

Ah, so it's you then. Gotcha.

I'm sorry? What's me? Someone who's not afraid to call out my own party when it's ****s up? You should look into that, friend!

Can you provide us with some examples where he bashed private doctors in Canada?

That's a non-sequitur dodge my friend. It's the Canadian healthcare system as a whole the GOP continually bash, because they're afraid to do some real work and fix ours. I've never heard one of the ****ed up GOP attack a doctor, but to do so is not beyond the modern criminal GOP.

Yeah, I was just reading up on their website. And what do the additional days cost, out of curiosity? They don't list the costs on their website.

I can't remember...to be honest, I had a root canal on Monday, so was stoned AF on pain killers yesterday...hehe... They did say that the cost was the same as requiring extra nights beyond what is covered by a hospital though...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to charge Ontario more than a standard hospital would. We try very hard not to have multi tier health care here.

That said, it's at a hospital, so I'm guessing it's not cheap. Anything outside of what our healthcare system covers is always high budget.

Right, so while you can still get treated at this hospital that would be illegal in Canada if it were not grandfathered in, your insurance isn't as good.

That's a non-sequitur dodge my friend. It's the Canadian healthcare system as a whole the GOP continually bash, because they're afraid to do some real work and fix ours. I've never heard one of the ****ed up GOP attack a doctor, but to do so is not beyond the modern criminal GOP.
Nope. You claimed
"So Rand Paul is an American doctor. He and his fellow GOP nutbirds are always bashing the Canadian healthcare system "
Now, back it up. Show us where he bashed this part of the Canadian healthcare system.

Right, so while you can still get treated at this hospital that would be illegal in Canada if it were not grandfathered in, your insurance isn't as good.

No, it's exactly the same as it would be at a normal hospital, who would also charge extra for anything above what they cover, at the same rate this specialized hernia hospital is.

So, a hernia treatment plus three days in a semi private room at this hospital would cost me exactly what it would at a standard hospital.

Nope. You claimed
Now, back it up. Show us where he bashed this part of the Canadian healthcare system.

First see your post above, admit you must moved the goal posts, and I'll respond.

No, it's exactly the same as it would be at a normal hospital, who would also charge extra for anything above what they cover, at the same rate this specialized hernia hospital is.
Right, same as it would be at a normal hospital in Canada. I've never been charged extra for a "semi-private room" in the US, or been given anything other than a completely private room (and I've had several surgeries). So you would get the same care as someone from the US at this hospital, you'd just be charged extra for something that would be likely be covered by insurance for the US patient.

But that's really beside the point, which is that this hospital exists in Canada in spite of your healthcare system, not because of it. It would be illegal if it weren't grandfathered in.

Back
Top Bottom