• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raising the Salary of Police, Firefighters, and Servicemen

braymoore

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So why don't we raise the salary of police officers, firefighters, and servicemen?? They are out there putting their lives on the line each and everyday. They are protecting us and our rights! Doing much more than lots of other jobs that make much more than them. You think that this is just? Would their be any problems with raising their salaries? I think that they deserve more than what they are making today for what they do each and everyday.

Most of them already make more than 60k per year, in addition to health insurance, life insurance, pension, etc.

That would require raising taxes and Americans hate that even if its raised on a very very small minority of us..

The cost to a community now days is about 1/2 of a police man's salary. A "cop" might make $65,000 here in CA but the city is paying out $130,000 in tax dollars due to expensive benefits, retirement obligations, training requirements, insurance (liability) and more. I personally think all public employees should take a 10% pay cut, drop defined benefit plans in exchange for a 401k/403b contribution they can manage on their own, and start paying about 20% of their health care costs like the rest of society.

What are their current salaries and what do you propose instead?

So why don't we raise the salary of police officers, firefighters, and servicemen?? They are out there putting their lives on the line each and everyday. They are protecting us and our rights! Doing much more than lots of other jobs that make much more than them. You think that this is just? Would their be any problems with raising their salaries? I think that they deserve more than what they are making today for what they do each and everyday.

Perhaps you have not noticed but for every local gov't employee that is now working we the sheeple are paying another not to, in retirement benefits. Unlke the federal gov't, that may freely borrow and print money, the states/counties and cities must raise taxation to do this "nice" thing, or no longer do some other "nice" thing.

What are their current salaries and what do you propose instead?

Well I know that they don't make what they should. My uncle is a police officer and with all the things he goes through and all the life-threatning situations he should make more than what he gets paid. I think that them making an extra 20K would be more just.

Maybe people think a 10% across the board cut is a bit harsh. Ok, I'd settle for a 10% cut on those making over $100,000 a year, and a 5% cut on those making less. If they abandoned the "defined benefit" fiasco and adopted a simple matching 401k type of plan then local governments (and I dare say the FEDS) would save billions. Add to this a minimum of 20% in health care costs should be the recipients so they understand what their health care burden really is in this over regulated fiasco of a system. Those changes would probably enable us to cut some taxes - I'm not even for that - I'd be happy with less debt and balanced local / state budgets.

$20K more than what? What is he paid now? Be sure you include his total income. My son just took a job at the university. He was upset because his last job paid over $100K and this one he had to fight just to get $77K. But they pay both halves of the 401K plan and give him 60 days vacation that he can be paid double for so I pointed out to him that he still "makes" over $100K a year.

More just? Because he's your uncle you want to bump everybody up $20K? Why don't you up my Social Security by $20K? Why don't we just make the minimum wage $100K?

Well I know that they don't make what they should. My uncle is a police officer and with all the things he goes through and all the life-threatning situations he should make more than what he gets paid. I think that them making an extra 20K would be more just.

Most of them already make more than 60k per year, in addition to health insurance, life insurance, pension, etc.

Still ain't enough. CEO's make millions upon millions. Gangsta ass sports figures make even more.

I would add teachers to that list.

Have an awesome weekend!

Yeah, they are really terribly underpaid. I'll cry myself to sleep tonight. The poor guy on the bottom of the list has to struggle on a mere $194K a year. His children must be starving.

LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE ANTHONY STAVROS $81,981.20 $0.00 $270,888.08 $352,869.28
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE LEHTINEN MARTIN $94,939.60 $4,640.27 $236,221.50 $335,801.37
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE KALLAS DAVID $61,728.00 $0.00 $175,480.29 $237,208.29
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE LEACH DANIEL $82,467.12 $45,996.42 $106,513.66 $234,977.20
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE JETT RODERICK $202,616.08 $0.00 $30,392.41 $233,008.49
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE SEBBY ROBERT $107,559.62 $51.58 $120,792.32 $228,403.52
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE HARPER BRUCE $99,898.20 $3,739.86 $122,808.88 $226,446.94
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE ROGAN MARILYN $109,869.16 $0.00 $114,555.74 $224,424.90
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE MCCLARY MICHAEL $188,546.40 $0.00 $31,982.88 $220,529.28
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE ALBA RICHARD $29,741.00 $276.80 $189,750.98 $219,768.78
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE FLYNN RAYMOND J III $188,546.40 $0.00 $30,918.20 $219,464.60
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE CAVALIERI DAVID $108,833.20 $1,267.15 $104,718.33 $214,818.68
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE ROBERTS LEWIS $131,896.27 $52,203.62 $30,684.63 $214,784.52
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE MOODY THEODORE $188,546.40 $0.00 $24,092.10 $212,638.50
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE MAGILL DENNIS $67,616.60 $16,814.97 $125,078.64 $209,510.21
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE SCHOLER J $82,856.20 $0.00 $119,986.01 $202,842.21
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE MCCURDY GREGORY $175,392.00 $0.00 $26,081.60 $201,473.60
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE LOUCKS CINDA $166,124.32 $0.00 $34,069.47 $200,193.79
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE SMITH BOBBY $110,022.70 $62,999.94 $26,493.70 $199,516.34
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE O'CONNOR KATHLEEN $175,238.00 $0.00 $23,579.86 $198,817.86
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE FLYNN DENNIS $120,033.50 $43,931.26 $34,764.93 $198,729.69
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE OWENS JAMES $175,392.00 $0.00 $23,031.20 $198,423.20
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE SCHOFIELD GARY $173,558.00 $0.00 $24,210.32 $197,768.32
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE MARSHALL KENNETH $55,070.50 $2,734.20 $136,441.51 $194,246.21
LAS VEGAS METRO POLICE JOSEPH MARC $175,392.00 $0.00 $18,676.00 $194,068.00

Why not let market forces work? As long as police departments are able to recruit good people, the entry pay is obviously enough. And public sector unions represent them once they've joined the force. I wouldn't surprise me in the least if most police departments across the country have waiting lists...because they don't have the money to hire new ones.

I have a surprise for you. Just because you pay me another $8,000 a year doesn't mean I'm going to work any harder or smarter. If those are the kind of people that are in the force, they don't belong there anyway.

Look I'm just saying I think it's stupid that other jobs get paid tons more than these good people who are putting their lives on the line. Why do sports players make so much?? What are they doing to make that much?? What would happen if these three professions decided to go on a major nation-wide strike?? What would happen then?? You also have to remember the training these people have to do and all the stuff they need to learn. I'm just trying to say that I think they deserve more than they make.

As a cop....
I wasn't making 60k a year.... and my life insurance/health insurance/pension came out of my pocket.

I had to pay over 400 bucks a month for health insurance out of my paycheck.......

Not that I am advocating for increasing the salaries..... just thought I would point out a few things that I get the impression you believe are free.

As a cop....
I wasn't making 60k a year.... and my life insurance/health insurance/pension came out of my pocket.

I had to pay over 400 bucks a month for health insurance out of my paycheck.......

Not that I am advocating for increasing the salaries..... just thought I would point out a few things that I get the impression you believe are free.

You must have a lot of kids...I don't pay that much for health insurance, with a wife and two kids on the policy. Didn't even pay that much when I had Cobra, one of the worst policies money can buy. Not calling you a liar. Just shocked.

As for pay, that is, of course, dependent on where you lived. In CT, officers START at 45k, and with OT, that number goes up.

You must have a lot of kids...I don't pay that much for health insurance, with a wife and two kids on the policy. Didn't even pay that much when I had Cobra, one of the worst policies money can buy. Not calling you a liar. Just shocked.

As for pay, that is, of course, dependent on where you lived. In CT, officers START at 45k, and with OT, that number goes up.

I also just have a wife and two kids to cover.......
I started out, back in 2006... at 32k.

Look I'm just saying I think it's stupid that other jobs get paid tons more than these good people who are putting their lives on the line. Why do sports players make so much?? What are they doing to make that much?? What would happen if these three professions decided to go on a major nation-wide strike?? What would happen then?? You also have to remember the training these people have to do and all the stuff they need to learn. I'm just trying to say that I think they deserve more than they make.

I've wondered myself so many times why high school dropout actors are paid $20 million a film when first-responders generally earn so little. Whatever we say we value most, where we spend our money tells the story.

their salaries should be raised significantly.

As a cop....

I've long been of the opinion that public sector unions don't fight for start pay. They don't care much about that. It's how quickly employees work themselves up the ladder that matters to them. More politically correct. It's difficult for the general public to find ongoing pay schedules and why they are what they are. But starting salary? By being artificially low, it keeps the sheeples happy.

JMVHO.

That would require raising taxes and Americans hate that even if its raised on a very very small minority of us..

That's right. Americans think that it's a bad idea to let the majority vote to raise taxes only on a very, very small minority because democracy isn't working very well when people can vote to raise taxes only on "other people" in order to pay for the things they want the government to do.

I've wondered myself so many times why high school dropout actors are paid $20 million a film when first-responders generally earn so little. Whatever we say we value most, where we spend our money tells the story.

Films make a lot of money if people go to see them. Make a film featuring first responders in the lead role and see how you make out at the box office. If an actor somehow made the big time among the countless thousand wannabes and becomes a known box office attraction, he'll make big money. It's a rare thing. Pay him 20 million and you'll make money on a decent movie. Try to figure out how you can capitalize on the talents of a first responder to make millions and you'll probably figure out why some movie stars make millions while first responders just make middle class money.

Films make a lot of money if people go to see them. Make a film featuring first responders in the lead role and see how you make out at the box office. If an actor somehow made the big time among the countless thousand wannabes and becomes a known box office attraction, he'll make big money. It's a rare thing. Pay him 20 million and you'll make money on a decent movie. Try to figure out how you can capitalize on the talents of a first responder to make millions and you'll probably figure out why some movie stars make millions while first responders just make middle class money.

I've known some first responders to go on to make a good buck as hollywood consultants... :mrgreen:

I've known some first responders to go on to make a good buck as hollywood consultants... :mrgreen:

Clever people seek out opportunities and capitalize on them. People that go out and look for opportunities are usually going to be the people that find them. People that sit on their duff and complain about how the deck is stacked against them and that they can't get ahead will usually always have plenty to complain about in that regard. It can seem that frequently what happens is that people just "luck into" opportunities. Usually, this luck happens because they did something that put them into a position to be cognizant of the opportunity and then capitalize on it. That rarely happens while someone is sitting on a sofa or sucking suds in a bar.

Cops are overpaid. Firemen and first responders are definitely underpaid though.

Cops are overpaid. Firemen and first responders are definitely underpaid though.

And why is that?

Out of the three sets of first responders:

Police - Answering calls, when not answering calls they are patrolling for crime. Their job deals with all of the dangers in society. Highest level of personal risk of the three.
Firemen - 2nd highest level of personal risk. When not answering calls they are sleeping, eating, hanging out. Many of their calls are medical calls.
EMS/Paramedic - Lowest level of personal risk of the three. Answer calls related to people being injured or sick. If there is a potential threat to them, they back off and wait for police to respond.

Makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom