• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rain, Rain Go Away

Fisher

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I have not been keeping up with the weather. I live on the east coast and it seems like there have been only one or 2 days in the last three weeks where we have not had rain. I do not recall it ever being this rainy for this long.

Is anybody else experiencing this? What is going on?

While the mud and the driving conditions suck, the cloud cover is the only thing keeping the heat from being intolerable here.

I hate the summer sun. It boils my brains and often feels like it could set the grass on fire.

I have not been keeping up with the weather. I live on the east coast and it seems like there have been only one or 2 days in the last three weeks where we have not had rain. I do not recall it ever being this rainy for this long.

You're having a British summer, whilst we get an American one for the only time ever.

There was a trough pulling moisture up from the Gulf through the eastern seaboard. In FL we were getting it for a few weeks but we've been clearing up. Now there's some remnants of a tropical storm coming, so expect more.

The heat hasn't been record setting but it does feel unusually hotter this year. Without cloud cover the air feels like it could bake bread.

yes. i've only had to water the garden three times since early May. it looks like a jungle, and the pumpkin plant has overtaken much of the back yard. last year, i was struggling just to keep it alive.

yes. i've only had to water the garden three times since early May. it looks like a jungle, and the pumpkin plant has overtaken much of the back yard. last year, i was struggling just to keep it alive.

I am at the point that I think the rain (and lack of hot/sunny weather) is holding my garden back. I guess it is keeping the deer well-nourished though for so far the only things they have done to our garden is eat every single bit of foliage off the sunflowers but left all the stems so I have a row of these five foot tall green, leafless sticks.

:mrgreen:

02.03-09-06-043.jpg

There was a trough pulling moisture up from the Gulf through the eastern seaboard. In FL we were getting it for a few weeks but we've been clearing up. Now there's some remnants of a tropical storm coming, so expect more.

The heat hasn't been record setting but it does feel unusually hotter this year. Without cloud cover the air feels like it could bake bread.

Thanks. It actually isn't that bad as long as we keep the AC on to keep the humidity out of the house. I don't notice it when I am outside, but it will hit you inside if we cut the AC off. We really wouldn't need it but for the dehumidifying effect on most days. My kids are in and out the doors so often it is hard to keep the dampness out.

I am at the point that I think the rain (and lack of hot/sunny weather) is holding my garden back. I guess it is keeping the deer well-nourished though for so far the only things they have done to our garden is eat every single bit of foliage off the sunflowers but left all the stems so I have a row of these five foot tall green, leafless sticks.

i've heard that bloodmeal will scare them off. have heard the same thing about urine, though that seems sort of a gross thing to do near the garden. bloodmeal kept the rabbits away last year. this year, i have been feeding a feral cat back there. i have seen neither rabbit nor bird all year.

Thanks. It actually isn't that bad as long as we keep the AC on to keep the humidity out of the house. I don't notice it when I am outside, but it will hit you inside if we cut the AC off. We really wouldn't need it but for the dehumidifying effect on most days. My kids are in and out the doors so often it is hard to keep the dampness out.

I really feel it in the car. Without a garage every time I go somewhere it doesn't get cool in the car till I'm already there.

We just put sod down.

It won't rain in Chicago again until September.

i've heard that bloodmeal will scare them off. have heard the same thing about urine, though that seems sort of a gross thing to do near the garden. bloodmeal kept the rabbits away last year. this year, i have been feeding a feral cat back there. i have seen neither rabbit nor bird all year.

I am in the same boat with the cats. On the plus side, I have also noticed that my cricket problem has resolved itself and the kittens like chasing and munching on crickets :)

I did deodorant soap, pie pans, and that crime scene tape this years as those are always the 3 things recommended. The sunflowers were right along the edge of the tape so they did not have to cross it to get to them really. I strung a lot of the pie pans right next to the tomato cages so if the wind blows or something shakes the strings they are on, they clank up against the cages pretty loudly.

I really feel it in the car. Without a garage every time I go somewhere it doesn't get cool in the car till I'm already there.

It takes me like 10 minutes to get to work so I don't even bother with the AC

We just put sod down.

It won't rain in Chicago again until September.

:) What kind of grass did you use?

I am in the same boat with the cats. On the plus side, I have also noticed that my cricket problem has resolved itself and the kittens like chasing and munching on crickets :)

I did deodorant soap, pie pans, and that crime scene tape this years as those are always the 3 things recommended. The sunflowers were right along the edge of the tape so they did not have to cross it to get to them really. I strung a lot of the pie pans right next to the tomato cages so if the wind blows or something shakes the strings they are on, they clank up against the cages pretty loudly.

one of these years, i'm putting up a scarecrow. i don't really care if it works or not; i just want an old 1930s cartoon style scarecrow out there because they're cool. :lol:

I probably should just row down all the windows.

Except on really hot days (95+) that feels like a sauna with the fan on. :cool:

one of these years, i'm putting up a scarecrow. i don't really care if it works or not; i just want an old 1930s cartoon style scarecrow out there because they're cool. :lol:

I thought about that but in my area if you fill it with straw you are guaranteed to have a billion ants in the thing. Straw is a magnet for those things and those armadillo looking ear wig things.

I thought about that but in my area if you fill it with straw you are guaranteed to have a billion ants in the thing. Straw is a magnet for those things and those armadillo looking ear wig things.

i didn't know that. i might do it anyway, lol.

i didn't know that. i might do it anyway, lol.

A couple years ago it was suggested to me that instead of planting potatoes in the ground (we have heavy clay soil), that I plant them in bales of straw with some dirt in the middle. It was like ant nip. I am pretty sure every ant in a three county radius ended up in my backyard.

:) What kind of grass did you use?

Oh, I don't know. The garden stores just bring in whatever grows, I think.

Oh, I don't know. The garden stores just bring in whatever grows, I think.

Well where I live leaving it up to them can become mighty expensive, so I will take that as a "Whatever Tommy Boy or the Landscaping Company picked out"

I've heard about the urine. Urine is sterile and a source of nitrogen (ammonia). Just be careful not to nitrogen-burn the leaves or soil - dilute at ~1:10.

I've heard about the urine. Urine is sterile and a source of nitrogen (ammonia). Just be careful not to burn the leaves or soil - dilute at ~1:10.

you're correct. even with my science background, though, i feel a little odd about pissing around my garden, lol.

you're correct. even with my science background, though, i feel a little odd about pissing around my garden, lol.

Pissing around the garden will nitrogen-burn the soil and roots.

Dilute!

:)

Send it here please. I'll take it.

Back
Top Bottom