• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rahm Traded Favors with Blago: Report

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Rahm Traded Favors with Blago: Report | NBC Chicago

President Barack Obama's chief of staff, then a congressman in Illinois, apparently attempted to trade favors with embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich while he was in office, according to newly disclosed e-mails obtained by The Associated Press.

Emanuel agreed to sign a letter to the Chicago Tribune supporting Blagojevich in the face of a scathing editorial by the newspaper that ridiculed the governor for self-promotion. Within hours, Emanuel's own staff asked for a favor of its own: The release of a delayed $2 million grant to a school in his district.

The 2006 discussion occured with Blagojevich's top aide, Deputy Gov. Bradley Tusk, and doesn't appear to cross legal lines; Emanuel couldn't speed up the distribution of the funds. But it offers a peek at ties between two high-profile Illinois politicians — one now the president's right-hand man, the other facing years in prison if convicted of political corruption.

...and yet Democrats hardly blink an eye. This is your Democrat party of today.

I know politics are an ugly dance, but I've never had such a feeling that Tony Soprano and his goons were running the free world as I do now. Is anything real coming out of the oval office and the administration anymore?

It's like watching a horribly acted soap opera....except it's for real.

I know politics are an ugly dance, but I've never had such a feeling that Tony Soprano and his goons were running the free world as I do now. Is anything real coming out of the oval office and the administration anymore?

Maybe that's because it seems like business as usual...

DeLay Steps Down From House Post - chicagotribune.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...o_tony_hayward_over_white_houses_20_bill.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/02/1561100/crist-requests-probe-of-gop-mess.html

I blink, of course, because I'm a moderate, and I think both parties are corrupt as hell.

Why is it, Erod, that you only seem able to identify hypocrisy and corruption when it exists in the Democratic party, and not in your own?

Last edited:

Texas Rep. Joe Barton apologizes for apologizing to BP CEO Tony Hayward over '$20B shakedown'

Crist requests probe of GOP `mess' - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

I blink, of course, because I'm a moderate, and I think both parties are corrupt as hell.

Why is it, Erod, that you only seem able to identify hypocrisy and corruption when it exists in the Democratic party, and not in your own?

What a topic derailment. There are plenty of threads on the board about Republican corruption, this is not one of them. Both parties are corrupt, that is a given, however this particular thread is about corruption among Democrats, for Republican corruption threads, just do a quick search, there are plenty.

I don't, not at all. But I will ostracize those who f-up in the supposedly conservative party, like most conservatives do. I don't defend them to the end, a la Clinton, until they actually become more popular as a result of the transgressions.

Name the Democrats who have been dogpiled by Democrats as a result of their shady actions or transgressions. Ted Kennedy, anyone? Mayor Berry? Sharpton? Clinton? Hillary? Edwards?

And now look at Obama and his closest friends......Emanuel, Blago, Ayers, the priest, Rezko, Jeremiah Wright, and on and on and on. This man is our president for gawd's sake.

What a topic derailment. There are plenty of threads on the board about Republican corruption, this is not one of them. Both parties are corrupt, that is a given, however this particular thread is about corruption among Democrats, for Republican corruption threads, just do a quick search, there are plenty.

You might have a point about thread derailment if Erod's stated goal was to discuss Rahm Emmanuel. However, his own comments, inserted after the linked article, made it clear that he wishes to discuss the Democratic Party's blindness to internal corruption:

I know politics are an ugly dance, but I've never had such a feeling that Tony Soprano and his goons were running the free world as I do now. [/B]

In my opinion, the only appropriate response, then, is to note that corruption is widespread in both parties, and that neither party seems to have the interests of the country at heart. Both seem primarily interested in winning elections, accumulating power, and lining their pockets with lucrative donations from oil companies and other corporate sectors.

Last edited:
I don't, not at all. But I will ostracize those who f-up in the supposedly conservative party, like most conservatives do. I don't defend them to the end, a la Clinton, until they actually become more popular as a result of the transgressions.

Name the Democrats who have been dogpiled by Democrats as a result of their shady actions or transgressions. Ted Kennedy, anyone? Mayor Berry? Sharpton? Clinton? Hillary? Edwards?

And now look at Obama and his closest friends......Emanuel, Blago, Ayers, the priest, Rezko, Jeremiah Wright, and on and on and on. This man is our president for gawd's sake.

All the US needs is that he act like one.

I am sorry but what is the problem here?

He wrote a letter of support in return to have money that his district was supposed to get being released

My god the horror, put this guys on death row.

From the little part quoted, no money was exchanged for personal gain. No taxypayer money was stolen, no one was defrauded of anything. Neither had any personal monetary gain from exchange and yet it is corruption

Back
Top Bottom