• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Raghead' Remark Causes Latest Flap In SC Gov Race

Just so you know - you're right that Arabs and Indians are different peoples. However, Sikhs (who are Indian) wear turbans and are frequently called "ragheads". Indeed, a Sikh in Arizona was murdered by idiot racists after 9/11 because they equated his Sikh attire to Arabic traditional garb.

So, it's misplaced, yes. But it's not as if racists are known for their intelligence (or their "good jokes").
You to are correct.

Moving on from the raghead criteria argument what is with the two guys coming forth and revealing past sexual relationship with the candidate? Not usually seen with a female candidate.

Maybe she did, maybe she didn't but why now do they feel the need to tell everyone? Perhaps she should come forth and tell us about their shortcomings.

Sikhs are not indians. Jindal is an Indian. Therefore the slur does not work.

And Houston sucks :D

Houston's cool. I've been to Dallas. Don't want to go back. It is pure crap.

Look at it this way. When you think of the University of Houston, the first thing that comes to mind is Dr. Paul Chu, the Nobel prize winning scientist on superconductivity. When you think of Rice University, the first things that comes to mind is Charles Smalley, the Nobel prize winning scientist on nanotechnology. On the other hand, when you think of Southern Methodist University, the first thing that comes to mind is preachers. :mrgreen:

Next, we take a look at professional football and baseball...... Never mind, you win. :mrgreen:

South Carolina. The state that just continues to embarrassing itself.

Ted Kennedy, Senator Byrd, Joe Biden, Waxman, whichever idiot was worried about the island sinking, Nancy Pelosi, I could go on and on...

Embarassing politicians who are NOT from SC.... so y'all can go **** a ***** and *** ****** and die.

Ted Kennedy, Senator Byrd, Joe Biden, Waxman, whichever idiot was worried about the island sinking, Nancy Pelosi, I could go on and on...

Embarassing politicians who are NOT from SC.... so y'all can go **** a ***** and *** ****** and die.

I know there are politicians from other states, but as a resident, it just seems as those the past year SC has done nothing right.

So where do Sikhs come from? Sikhstan? No.. they come from India, hence they are Indian.. Now some Sikhs also come from Pakistan, since the area where Sikhs originate from is kinda disputed between India and Pakistan.

LOL Sikhs are not Indians. Their culture, traditions and way of life are nothing like Indians whatsoever.

If you had ever met a Sikh you would know this but I wouldn't recommend calling them Indians if I were you.

And Houston does suck, as does all of Texas. :)

Who beat you up? Perhpas we can find him and get him to apologize.

LOL Sikhs are not Indians. Their culture, traditions and way of life are nothing like Indians whatsoever.

If you had ever met a Sikh you would know this but I wouldn't recommend calling them Indians if I were you.

You better tell that to these guys.

Sikhs are represented in Indian politics, with the current Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is the de facto head of the government and wields the supreme authority , including the nuclear button, and the Deputy Chairman of the Indian Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia, both hailing from the community. The current Chief-minister of Punjab, Parkash Singh Badal, is a Sikh. Past Sikh politicians in India have included Giani Zail Singh, the former President of India, Dr. Gurdial Singh Dhillon, Speaker of the Parliament of India. Pratap Singh Kairon, Union minister, famous Sikh Indian independence movement leader and former Chief-minister of Punjab (India).

Though it is probably more accurate to say that some Sikh's are Indian.

I would think that it is more like being Jewish - while it is primarily a religion there is an ethnic component to it.

Who beat you up? Perhpas we can find him and get him to apologize.

India is a widely diverse country with a wide variety of ethnic and religous groups. Indians of the north west tend to appear alot like Persians and historitcally culturally similar to Iran (excluding the Islam part).

Then you have those closer to Nepal whose appearance is quite a bit different.

You also have Sikkim which is culturally similar to Tibet and I believe ethnically similar as welll

Overall there is no standard Indian culture or tradition. The so called dot heads (hindu's) make up around 80% of the population of India, but they have wide cultural and ethnic background beyond their religion

You better tell that to these guys.

Though it is probably more accurate to say that some Sikh's are Indian.

I would think that it is more like being Jewish - while it is primarily a religion there is an ethnic component to it.

Sikhs in India are of course Indian, those in Canada are Canadian

As for the ethnic background of Sikhs, being a religion founded in the 15 th century I dont think they have had the time to become truely ethnically different then most other Punjabis

Back
Top Bottom