• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Radcen's pasta sauce recipe

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Radcen's pasta sauce recipe (inspired by Maggie to post mine)

1/2 cup olive oil
2 large onions
1 bunch celery
1 medium size jar sliced green olives
2 large pkgs fresh mushrooms
crushed/minced garlic
sea salt
fresh coarsely ground pepper
oregano
5 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 med size can tomato paste

- Saute celery in olive oil for a few minutes, then add onion and continue sauteing.
- Add mushrooms , garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, near the end, continue until semi-firm.
- Combine all ingredients in large baking pan, and simmer in oven for 2 hrs. I used to do it on the stove, but always had a problem with burning no matter what I did, so I switched to the oven. Just don't go beyond 2 hrs or it reduces too much.

I make this large batch and freeze most of it. Lasts me 3-4 months before I make the next batch.

I like to chop my onions and celery somewhat large for a 'chunky' sauce.

Always start sauteing the celery first, as it takes longer... then add onions... then add mushrooms.

I purposely do not add meat at this stage. I wait until I use some for a meal, then brown and add the type of meat I want for that meal. Or, no meat at all if I'm in that mood. Gives me more flexibility this way.

I purposely do not add any type of sugar. One, I don't like my sauce too sweet, but if you plan to eat some right away you can add finely grated carrot for sweetness, or a bit of apple juice. If you are freezing the natural sweetness of the tomatoes will come out over time, and no additional sweeteners are necessary.

I started making my own sauce about 5-6 years ago when I realized it was almost impossible to get store-bought sauce without way too much added sugar as the primary ingredient.

That's heading down the road toward a Puttanesca and it's kind of an acquired taste. Nothing personal but olives belong in gin, not tomato sauce.

I'm still waiting for whoever it was who said it's $90 spaghetti sauce recipe :shock:

never have had celery in pasta sauce.

Everyone can make a great spaghetti sauce. Ex. some tomatoe sauce or stewed tomatoes, tomatoe paste, fresh basil, fresh oregano, little onion, little bell pepper, little lemon juice, little brown sugar, little red whine, some cooked italain sausage: bingo spaghetti sauce and modify to suit your tastes.

Serve with pepperoncini peppers and garlic bread and parmegian cheese.

Back
Top Bottom