• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Racist white liberals...[W:338]

Hogwash. Does Enrollment Diversity Improve University Education? as published in The International Journal of Public Opinion Research finds:

As the proportion of black students enrolled at the institution rose, student satisfaction with their university experience dropped, as did assessments of the quality of their education, and the work efforts of their peers. . . .

The same pattern held for the faculty sample's evaluation of the educational milieu. Among faculty members enrollment diversity was negatively related to perceptions of the quality of education, the academic abilities of students, and the work efforts of students, . . .​

So, is your solution to keep the school lily white?

Hey, why not just exterminate the blacks? After all, trying to usher them into our culture might shortchange a white dude.

Methinks you like playing victim. And, it's sort of embarrassing.

When you're losing an argument, why can't you just concede defeat instead of turning your attack onto the commenter that you're debating?

Like Steve Colbert...have recently made racist remarks of Asians, and I think the response from Asian groups are absolutely spot on...I dont care to post the tweet, but it can be found here... Racist ‘joke’ has people calling for Comedy Central to #CancelColbert; Update: Tweet deleted | Twitchy

The reply however, was striking...

We know many liberals support racist laws like race based preferences and affirmative action, but leftists also feel justified in using racist remarks against others IF it suits their narrative. I suspect Steve Colbert will ride out the storm, but it might make him and other liberals a little more reluctant to judge people based on skin color.

:lamo

Run with it! Run with it! Run with it! Maybe you can score some points!!!

lmao, you guys are hilarious.

Hey, why not just exterminate the blacks? After all, trying to usher them into our culture might shortchange a white dude.

Why don't you say thank you? You made a claim, I showed you that you were wrong. You learned something. Now you won't make that same mistake again.

See, I did you a favor.

If you want to argue for affirmative action you now have to find some other supposed benefit, and if you're an honest debater, you should acknowledge from the outset that the increased diversity will make the school experience worse for everyone. The good factor that you believe results though should outweigh the bad factors caused by the increased levels of diversity.

Getting all pissy doesn't help your case nor your reputation.

I'm not saying that blacks are any more racist than whites, but neither can I accept that only whites that have racist attitudes (or that only white racists should be criticized).

Pretending bigotry in a minority is the same thing as oppression is nonsense. Calling blacks racists is using only the most basic and broad definition of racism known to man. Bigotry doesn't constitute racism - an oppression.

Claiming that the oppressed spewing crap is the same as the oppressor doing so is ignoring all context. It's intentional ignorance in the pursuit of a simplistic flame.

Last edited:

Its notable that you dont appear to think that each and every individual regardless of race or sex can earn their place based on merit. Kinda makes the OP's point, doesn't it?

Pretending bigotry in a minority is the same thing as oppression is nonsense. Calling blacks racists is using only the most basic and broad definition of racism known to man. Bigotry doesn't constitute racism, as it is known to mankind - an oppression.

It is my goal to one day be part of a group that by my very membership precludes me from any guilt even when engaging in actions that are condemned when others do it.

It is my goal to one day be part of a group that by my very membership precludes me from any guilt even when engaging in actions that are condemned when others do it.

You aren't listening X. The OP is confusing stereotyping with racism. No one is trying to give Colbert a pass. They are saying that what he did is not racism.

LMAO this is a funny thread

first thing is first

racism is racism . . . PERIOD
but also be clear that there are levels or racism and prejudice and a difference between a racist and a racist remark, thought, act etc.

that being said the race of the person being racist is meaningless and doesnt change anything

now if one wants to address exactly what colbert did, what it means and how they feel about it thats fine
but crying about this for the good or bad and starting the domino effect to lead to liberal, lefties, righties, conservatives, affirmative action etc etc is a mentally retarded correlation and one that cant be backed up

lastly there are clearly some people here that have zero clue what racism is, aa/eeo is, what the actual law is or what peoples rights actually are and its hilarious.
Please keep this show going. WOw

Hogwash. Does Enrollment Diversity Improve University Education? as published in The International Journal of Public Opinion Research finds:

Hogwash is using one study to make a claim counter to the obvious.

Data were obtained from a 1999–2000 survey of a structured random sample of over 4,000 US students, faculty, and administrators, and from the National Center for Education Statistics. When student, faculty, and administrators; evaluations of the educational and racial atmosphere were correlated with the percentage of minority students enrolled at a college or university, the predicted positive associations of educational benefits and inter‐racial understanding failed to appear.

There are many factors.

Thus, the findings failed to support the argument that enrollment diversity improves the education and racial milieu at American colleges and universities. Our study also raises questions about survey instruments and designs that affect inferences about respondents' beliefs and behavior.

Yes, well, this hardly proves diversity fails to improve schools. One study that doesn't even counter the claim. That's weak sauce. I can't believe someone would claim to prove a negative in the first place; that's funny.

No one ever suggests this, but you often slay it. It's your favorite strawman and you flail at it with all the righteous indignation any man could muster.

But, seriously, no one suggests that.

Hogwash is using one study to make a claim counter to the obvious.

Simply because something appears "obvious" does not relieve one of the burden of proof. The earth was obviously flat to some. The comments made by Colbert are obviously racist to some asians.

If we're going to dissect racist white liberals, let's spice things up a little bit by turning our attention to where these people live and where they send their kids to school. To help us along, let's also consider the following:

Community psychologists are interested in creating contexts that promote both respect for diversity and sense of community. However, recent theoretical and empirical work has uncovered a community-diversity dialectic wherein the contextual conditions that foster respect for diversity often run in opposition to those that foster sense of community. More specifically, within neighborhoods, residential integration provides opportunities for intergroup contact that are necessary to promote respect for diversity but may prevent the formation of dense interpersonal networks that are necessary to promote sense of community. Using agent-based modeling to simulate neighborhoods and neighborhood social network formation, we explore whether the community-diversity dialectic emerges from two principles of relationship formation: homophily and proximity. The model suggests that when people form relationships with similar and nearby others, the contexts that offer opportunities to develop a respect for diversity are different from the contexts that foster a sense of community. Based on these results, we conclude with discussion of whether it is possible to create neighborhoods that simultaneously foster respect for diversity and sense of community.​

We see this in liberal nirvanas like Portland. Liberals love the place because of the vibe, the lifestyle, the sense of community, and you know what, Portland is one of the whitest cities in America. That whole sense of community evaporates once you introduce diversity into the mix. That's when we see people cocooning, not interacting with their neighbors, not trusting the local government leaders. Society fragments when you introduce diversity.

Simply because something appears "obvious" does not relieve one of the burden of proof. The earth was obviously flat to some. The comments made by Colbert are obviously racist to some asians.

No one has time to take you through a semester or two of sociology. Believe what you want. This is a debate.

I dunno what Colbert said, I am debating the implications of the title. I would note, though, that Colbert is a Poe. Clearly, openly, clownishly so. And I would take that into consideration before getting excited about something he said. You do know that, right?

Nobody has advocated such a thing. This is why you come off like a hysterical ninny sometimes. I think diversity is a great thing, I really do, but it isn't those that constantly insist we pay attention to race above all else or insist that I'm constantly victimizing someone just by virtue of the color of my skin or that others are perpetually victims no matter what they do are accomplish that really do much to promote better race relations.

No one ever suggests this, but you often slay it. It's your favorite strawman and you flail at it with all the righteous indignation any man could muster.

But, seriously, no one suggests that.

Please, if you say I have a favorite strawman that makes all the other strawmen I routinely work with jealous so please refrain from saying that. No one suggests what? That's what you're saying isn't it? Your definition of racism precludes anyone but whites (in the US) from being guilty of it.

Nobody has advocated such a thing. This is why you come off like a hysterical ninny sometimes. I think diversity is a great thing, I really do, but it isn't those that constantly insist we pay attention to race above all else or insist that I'm constantly victimizing someone just by virtue of the color of my skin or that others are perpetually victims no matter what they do are accomplish that really do much to promote better race relations.

I part company with you here. I don't think diversity is a good thing. Here's a primary reason why - a central feature of diversity is the insistence that we monitor race all the damn time, that there be appropriate ratios of representation, that people do this or do that and all of that nonsense is clutter in my life. I don't want to play that game. Secondly, another central feature of diversity is the victimization culture and its corresponding blame culture. I get blamed for a minority's bad outcomes. This tends to piss me off for I didn't actually cause their bad outcomes and neither did white culture. Being blamed for something I didn't do tends to rub me the wrong way.

Being able to brag to my friends about a great new restaurant featuring Fulani cuisine isn't compensation enough for dealing with the negative fallout which rains down on me from diversity. A culture which lacks that racial diversity also lacks the aggravation of all the busybodies constantly harping on about racial representation and blaming me for any disparity they observe. I can once again work in enterprises where merit is respected and people aren't hired to be tokens in order to please the racial bean-counters.

No one has time to take you through a semester or two of sociology. Believe what you want. This is a debate.

I dunno what Colbert said, I am debating the implications of the title. I would note, though, that Colbert is a Poe. Clearly, openly, clownishly so. And I would take that into consideration before getting excited about something he said. You do know that, right?

I took sociology, and anthropology in college. You didn't even read the op.

Well done. :cool:

Please, if you say I have a favorite strawman that makes all the other strawmen I routinely work with jealous so please refrain from saying that. No one suggests what? That's what you're saying isn't it? Your definition of racism precludes anyone but whites (in the US) from being guilty of it.

1. It's not my definition of racism.
Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. Blacks can be racist when they are the majority.
3. Black bigots, like all bigots, should be condemned.

No one ever claims that blacks can be bigots and no one can criticize them. That's ridiculous. That's not what anyone is was or ever will argue for.

You aren't listening X. The OP is confusing stereotyping with racism. No one is trying to give Colbert a pass. They are saying that what he did is not racism.

I actually wasn't taking about Colbert at all and I'm already fully aware that if a liberal says it, it can't be racist. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom