• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Racism

Racism is primarily defined by

• What we think

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • What we do

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • The results of our actions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Racism is primarily defined by:

1. What we think
2. What we do
3. The results of our actions.

Vote is anonymous.

through out time, various people have been treated differently, due to their color, height, weight, hair color, or a whole host of other things. It is only in the last couple of decades, that people have made a big deal over what is just natural for people to do. To comment on others differences from themselves. No big deal. Get over it, and get out there and mow that lawn. People have to much time on their hands now day. so they worry about every little thing.:(

Gah, I screwed up the poll, the top option should be "think" not say :doh

Racism is an action, thus "What we do."

But to act, one must think...Thus, "What we think" is a key part of racist action, while not being "racism".

The results of our actions are simply that - results.

Not really any of the above to me, but more of a belief.

I firmly believe that it's about what you think. Racism isn't just about action, because actions may not have racist intent behind them.

For instance, if you accidentally say the word "boy" to a black person, it is not a racist comment because the intention was not racist. Now, if you knew that black men don't like being called "boy" and you say it, there's racism behind it - meaning you thought he'd be offended by it. In the first scenario, the action is calling a black man "boy", but that action without intent to insult cannot be considered racism.

That's why there are a lot of soapbox retards out there when damn near anything happens. Like when the LAPD threw an ass whipping on Rodney King, all you could see is a handful of white cops beating a black man. It's considered racism, even though King was high as a kite, evading, and resisting arrest. People judged the action, but not the thought.

Racism is primarily defined by:

1. What we think
2. What we do
3. The results of our actions.

Vote is anonymous.

It's a mix of all 3 in different amounts for different people.
My Grandfather was a racist prick - he was in thought for countless years, apparently, before he vocalized his thoughts . . . and then he acted on it eventually when he sliced the tires on his neighbor's car because he was black.

Prejudice is thought.

Racism is action.

What? It's prejudice until it comes out in action and then it's racism??

Prejudice AND racism can either be in just thought or in both - or just action, you don't have to think that your acts are prejudice or racist in order for it to BE prejudice or racist.

Racism?...what the pandering left defines it as.

That's why there are a lot of soapbox retards out there when damn near anything happens. Like when the LAPD threw an ass whipping on Rodney King, all you could see is a handful of white cops beating a black man. It's considered racism, even though King was high as a kite, evading, and resisting arrest. People judged the action, but not the thought.

Please tell me you do not condone the police tossing an ass whipping to anybody? And the way you said this? Makes me really feel you do not think it was about race when you should know that it damn sure was:3oops:

According to ordinary language philosophy, 'racism' applies in any sense it can be used intelligibly.

So, if we are referring to actions that may not result from racist intent but which stem from disregard for (and negatively impact) the material or cultural situation of a race, it is intelligible for us to describe that action as racist even though the person who performed it has no commitment to the belief, and therefore may not be intelligibly referred to as racist even though their actions are racist. This would cover 'what we say' as well, because speaking is an action.

However, if a person has racist intentions but lacks the power to impose them in any damaging manner, we would describe that person as racist but would be unable to determine any of his actions to be racist, because, again, he lacks the power to perform significantly racist actions.

With its politically, morally, and historically loaded connatations, clarity and emphasis on context on a case-by-case basis is the closest you can come to discovering the nature of an attribute like racism.

According to ordinary language philosophy, 'racism' applies in any sense it can be used intelligibly.

So, if we are referring to actions that may not result from racist intent but which stem from disregard for (and negatively impact) the material or cultural situation of a race, it is intelligible for us to describe that action as racist even though the person who performed it has no commitment to the belief, and therefore may not be intelligibly referred to as racist even though their actions are racist. This would cover 'what we say' as well, because speaking is an action.

However, if a person has racist intentions but lacks the power to impose them in any damaging manner, we would describe that person as racist but would be unable to determine any of his actions to be racist, because, again, he lacks the power to perform significantly racist actions.

With its politically, morally, and historically loaded connatations, clarity and emphasis on context on a case-by-case basis is the closest you can come to discovering the nature of an attribute like racism.

So...what do you think about racism?

So...what do you think about racism?

I don't have a general opinion about racism, other than the token, "It's bad." How much empathy I have for racist persons or actions, and what I think should be done or not done about it, is situational.

As a soft non-essentialist (someone who disbelieves concepts describe entities with an essential nature), I take an ordinary language approach to terminology. I don't think 'racism' refers to anything other than what the speaker, whether an individual or culture, means for it to mean in any given context. I start out any conversation by approximating what they mean.

This may be esoteric, but it is an esoteric question. We are trying to discover the nature of an attribute. Non-essentialists would say there is no nature, in the strictest sense.

Last edited:
Are you implying that it does not really exist?

Not at all. I'm not racist, but I've been labeled racist by the left because I do not support their ideology.

So, I must conclude that racism is defined by what leftist's need to forward an agenda.

In my opinion you don't have to act in a racist fashion to be racist. You can still think that your race is superior or another is inferior and not act on those beliefs. I believe if you think in a racist fashion, you are a racist; from there these people can act.

Back
Top Bottom