• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Racism Towards Whites [W:427, 577]

AmazingMeg

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Why are liberals so much against bringing up the racism and hate crimes that White people endure? Why are liberals so quick to say that White people are privileged when 1/5 White kids in America goes to bed hungry? When White males are overlooked for a job? When colleges take in non Whites, water down the curriculum, to make a status quo? (not to say there aren't intelligent non Whites, there certainly are).

Re: Racism Towards Whites

Why are liberals so much against bringing up the racism and hate crimes that White people endure? Why are liberals so quick to say that White people are privileged when 1/5 White kids in America goes to bed hungry? When White males are overlooked for a job? When colleges take in non Whites, water down the curriculum, to make a status quo? (not to say there aren't intelligent non Whites, there certainly are).

Who is against mentioning hate crimes against white people? And as far as I remember there have been verdicts in favor of Whites that had been discriminated against.

Where are you from? For me, that was a suburb that was majority white. But I used to think the same way as you until I moved to Chicago. Only then did it come as a surprise to me that being white is a huge advantage in the way you're treated by other people.

Or less ancedotally, psychologists have proven that even blacks have an unconscious negative reaction to black people. What they use is a Implicit-association test under the understanding that humans are able to better associate like things than they are able to associate unlike things. EG: Apples to apples, oranges to oranges; or good to beautiful, bad to ugly.

Almost all people at their most basic subconsciousness are better able to associate racial minorities with negative and prejudicial connotations than they are able to do with racial majorities (whites). When it comes to white subjects, we have an implicit negative reactions to just about every minority race. It's rather surprising.

They've also been able to establish implicit negative reactions when humans are confronted with obese people and people with disabilities, which is no surprise. As well as LGBTs, minority religions, age, etc.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/education.html

Almost all people at their most basic subconsciousness are better able to associate racial minorities with negative and prejudicial connotations than they are able to do with racial majorities (whites). When it comes to white subjects, we have an implicit negative reactions to just about every minority race. It's rather surprising.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/education.html

In America, it seems pretty clear that the converse is also true, even if only by reason of constant indoctrination by those who would see their own political fortunes rise by constant hate and racial strife.

Why are liberals so much against bringing up the racism and hate crimes that White people endure?
Racism and hate crimes against White people are almost exclusively brought up by fools and white racists who want to minimize the most enduring form of racism in this country: racism against people of color. Therefore, it's not that liberals are against bringing those issues up as much as we are against fools and racists trying to pretend that white people have to deal with anything even close to what people of color have to deal with.

Why are liberals so quick to say that White people are privileged when 1/5 White kids in America goes to bed hungry?
White people ARE privileged relative to race. Relative to race, white people are the MOST privileged group in this country. What you are referring to when you talk about white kids "going to bed hungry" is class. The class disadvantages that many white people have to deal with does not erase their racial privilege which is what liberals are referring to when we talk about white privilege.

When White males are overlooked for a job?
White males are rarely overlooked for a job due to race.

When colleges take in non Whites, water down the curriculum, to make a status quo?
That's still not what affirmative action does no matter how much white racists try to make it so.

(not to say there aren't intelligent non Whites, there certainly are).
Oh, well how kind of you to acknowledge that not all people of color are dumb ****s. :roll:

it is because you can ask such questions

Why are liberals so much against bringing up the racism and hate crimes that White people endure?
Racism and hate crimes against White people are almost exclusively brought up by fools and white racists who want to minimize the most enduring form of racism in this country: racism against people of color. Therefore, it's not that liberals are against bringing those issues up as much as we are against fools and racists trying to pretend that white people have to deal with anything even close to what people of color have to deal with.
You go too far, Play Drive. It's - what - 30% of Americans that don't have a single friend that is outside of their own race?
Probably a much higher percentage that don't social with groups of diverse people?

One hundred bucks bet that AmazingMeg doesn't live in Harlem or routinely socializes with a lot of non-white people. (Am I right?)

No sensible person wants to perpetuate racism against racial minorities, but that absence of interaction with people of a different race yields no experience. No experience means you're generally clueless about the state of the world. It causes questions like AmazingMeg has. 'Banality' as Hannah Arendt would say.

White people ARE privileged relative to race. Relative to race, white people are the MOST privileged group in this country. What you are referring to when you talk about white kids "going to bed hungry" is class. The class disadvantages that many white people have to deal with does not erase their racial privilege which is what liberals are referring to when we talk about white privilege.

White males are rarely overlooked for a job due to race.

That's still not what affirmative action does no matter how much white racists try to make it so.

Oh, well how kind of you to acknowledge that not all people of color are dumb ****s. :roll:

Whites are privileged? Privileged to pay the most taxes, and put up with the charges of racism that many aren't to blame for. How about asians, they're doing pretty good. By people of color, you means blacks don't you?

I'm 33 years old. My entire life, I was brought up to believe that racism was wrong, that people shouldn't be judged by the color of their skin (or anything physically that they can't change), and that those that did those things were ignorant bigots, to be critical towards. Well, I bought into it. I believe that. Parents, teachers, after school specials, and influential people throughout the years: you convinced me. I'm firmly on your side.

But as I grew up, I came to find that more and more, there are some people on the left that don't really believe that racism in and of itself was wrong, but that racism against a demographic with less economic and/or political power was wrong. They don't really believe that judging people by the color of their skin (or anything physically that they can't change) in and of itself was wrong, but that judging people by the color of their skin (or anything physically that they can't change) and they were part of a demographic with less economic and/or political power was wrong. They don't really believe that those that did those things were ignorant bigots, to be critical towards, but that those people were only ignorant bigots, to be critical towards, if they were part of a demographic with more economic and/or political power.

Of course this isn't everyone that believes that racism was wrong. Not by a longshot. But there are some. And they want to say that the only bad racism is the kind that goes against a race that has less economic and/or political power. Well, that wasn't part of the deal that you taught me growing up. And I'm not buying it. I believe that racism is wrong across the board, regardless of the power inequality between the parties. I believe that judging people by the color of their skin (or anything physically that they can't change) is wrong across the board, regardless of the power inequality between the parties. I believe that those that did those things were ignorant bigots, to be critical towards, regardless of the power inequality between the parties.

Don't try to shoehorn this anti-power inequality bull**** into anti-racism, because they're two different issues, and I'm only supportive of one of them.

The reason is because its bull****. While individual discrimination exists, white people don't face racial persecution on a systemic level in the U.S. whatsoever. Overwhelming majorities that hold all the power trying to pretend they are persecuted victims is just pathetic. Try living in South Korea or Japan to get a taste of real discrimination.

Do you have any sort of evidence or sources to cite for this bro? If not, you sound like you're spouting off what you FEEL while sitting in your living room watching O'Reilly. You gotta support your argument with more than feeling.

While of course, by the sheer numbers game of probability, there are hate crimes against whites, it's a pretty minor problem and most times it's brought up, it's very much engrained within the conservative persecution complex that some right wingers suffer from.

Which is to say that because the political power of the Christian white male is beginning to shrink, they are under attack.

Racial conflict is a two way street. The only way to stop it is to create harmony and actually get it so race doesn't matter. As the group in power, I would say that this falls more on whites to solve. So let's not complain so much and solve the problems.

Do you have any sort of evidence or sources to cite for this bro? If not, you sound like you're spouting off what you FEEL while sitting in your living room watching O'Reilly. You gotta support your argument with more than feeling.

So now a person can't ask a question without having some sort of link to back up their contention?

Where did you get the idea that every statement or question needs to be backed up by somebody elses opinión?

When it comes to white racism against minorities vs. minority racism against whites, there is one glaring difference I see in our society... How the offender is treated.

If you are a white person who says something racist, or commits an act motivated by racism, you are chastised by society and the courts, as well as savaged by the media if you are a public figure or what you've done makes the news... Something I not only don't have a problem with, but I fully endorse... When the shoe is on the other foot however, I'd say the majority of the time when the racism comes from a minority offender against a white person, you just don't see it treated with the same level of disdain. In fact, in far too many instances the racist aspect of a news worthy event is totally overlooked by society and the media, which in effect gives the offender silent approval for their hatred, justifying their actions.

Racial hatred and discrimination are wrong no matter who the offender is, or who that racism is directed toward. History has taught us that tolerating racism hurts a lot people, encourages violence and fractures societies. So how in the hell could anyone, especially those in the media, possibly think that turning a blind eye to any racism, no matter what form it takes, is the right thing to do? Does anyone really think that's going to lead to a better, more harmonious society?

Racism will never be eliminated. It's an unfortunate part of human nature for people to believe that what they are, is better than what someone else is, so all we can do is teach people that those feelings or beliefs are wrong, an show no tolerance for them what so ever in out society... And that goes for ALL racism... Are you listening Reverend Al?

Whites are privileged? Privileged to pay the most taxes, and put up with the charges of racism that many aren't to blame for. How about asians, they're doing pretty good. By people of color, you means blacks don't you?

of course. there are plenty of minorities that are doing just fine in the US. I always find it funny that they try to hide behind the term "minorities" when what they really mean is "blacks".

Isn't it odd that every group of people (whites, asians, hispanics, etc, etc, etc) ,even blacks themselves, have the same unconscious negative reaction to black people? I've seen it myseslf. When we first got our two adopted sons, they were around 3 years old. raised in an all black community and had virtually no contact with anyone other than other blacks. Neither of them showed any fear or anxiety to being around whites but they were both virtually terrified of adult black males. They would either hide behind me or try to climb into my arms any time we passed a black guy on the street or in the mall. To this day, the older one is still uncomfortable around adult black men and he is freakin 18 years old.

Racism and hate crimes against White people are almost exclusively brought up by fools and white racists who want to minimize the most enduring form of racism in this country: racism against people of color.

It's interesting that you say that. some of our very close friends who moved back to the states from Okinawa are now complaining to us about how she (the wife) hates going to church because of how racist they are (she's black, and goes to a black church - our church in Oki was about 1/3 white, maybe 1/3 Japanese, maybe 1/3 Black, maybe 1/3 hispanic, I realize that's 120%, but we had lots of mixes, and Filipinos, and generally it was often just impossible to break it down reliably). Do you think that my black female friend who holds two degrees is a fool, or a white racist in an exceptionally good disguise?

I've never heard O'Reilly make this argument - have you?

Actually, you're listing some of the very things liberals consider to be their shining accomplishments. Why would any liberal speak against the liberal agenda?

Thus my eyes deceive me? A conservative Canadian. We should've been neighbours when I, as a conservative American, spent nearly 12 years living near liberal Toronto? Life must be very tough for you in TO. What always gets to me is when Arab immigrants are racist to Whites in the city. It happened to my friend, and she's the most open minded person ever. Oh, that reminds me. So, I lived near TO in a 2nd home (my dad was a businessman, we have multiple houses, but sadly sold the one in Canada which was my favourite) and I speak fluent Spanish (and fluent French). Some wineries wanted to hire me because of my Spanish skills, so I got a letter from them and from the chamber of commerce in the Canadian town. I then went to immigration. They took 3 weeks to respond saying they needed the $150 cheque. Afterwards, it took them only 3 days to respond saying that I am refused, even after having lived there 11 years at that time (part time, holidays, weekends, etc) and that they thought I wouldn't turn to NY when my work visa at the wineries (where I would give tour groups in Spanish). The name on the refusal letter. A Muslim.

Oh, no they wouldn't.

First, my bona fides. I'm white, retired Navy, and was raised in the MS Delta. I was strongly conservative for many years - frankly, I've yet to see any whites from where I grew up who weren't strongly conservative. I was certainly one of them. I also remember one time I almost lost my career in the Navy thanks to a black racist. But my time in the Navy forced me to unlearn so much I'd been taught in my strongly-conservative youth - including my own racism.

That said, the reason why whites don't get why it seems that there's so much more attention to racism against blacks (and other minorities) than to the racism against whites...is because the racism against minorities in America IS WORSE than the racism against whites.

Read that again, guy - the racism against whites in America is not nearly so bad as it is against minorities and especially blacks.

You asked, "Why?" And I'll tell you why - it's because we whites are (currently) on top, socially and economically...and because we have the power, the racism we commit is more effective (has a greater effect) than the racism committed by the minorities. And this is NOT - repeat, NOT - only a 'white' people thing, nor is it a matter of race at all. ANY group - whether racial, religious, political, ethnic, social, economic - that is on top will do what it can (if in different ways, whether good or bad) to stay on top, and will look down on those who are not a part of the group on top.

In other words, in the global game of "King of the Hill", the group on top looks down on those who aren't a part of that group.

But I digress - let's get back to races. The racism by the race on top has a greater effect than the racism by the other races...and those who belong to the race on top tend to react with anger or even violence at any threat to their status...whereas the race(s) who are not on top bear the brunt of the more effective racism by the race on top - and they can't help but see how wrong it is, just as a victim of a bully sees how wrong the bullying is...and as a result they tend to be less racist. I saw this firsthand when I went to an all-white school in a 71%-black county (Indianola Academy in Sunflower County, MS), and then the very next year went to a public school in the same county where only 20 of us were white out of a student body of 480. I saw (and participated in) a LOT of racism in the all-white school...but saw very little racism in the 95% black school.

BUT THIS ISN'T A WHITE OR A BLACK THING. I put that in caps to get your attention. My point is proven not just by our experience here in America, but in nearly every nation in the world, by the experiences of the Ainu in Japan, the Tibetans in China, the Roma (derisively called 'gypsies') in Europe, the Hakka and Uighurs in China, the Jews in much of the Middle East, the Palestinians in Israel...and the Hutus in Rwanda.

In almost all of the above cases, the less-powerful races and ethnicities face strong discrimination even when their rights are protected by the government and given what we Americans would call Affirmative Action - heck, in China, the Tibetans are the only ones who are allowed to have more than one child! But in every case, the dominant race or ethnicity as a whole still does what it can to stay on top.

I emphasized the Hutus in Rwanda - they may be of the same race, but they're a fairly distinct ethnicity. The more powerful Tutsis had been the moneyed and powerful (by local standards) for generations...until one day the powderkeg's fuse got lit and there was that genocide in Rwanda in the early 1990's. But this is the EXCEPTION to the rule - in almost all cases, it's the more powerful race/ethnicity/religion/political group that does what it can to keep under its boot those that it sees as a threat to its supremacy.

Whatever racism against you or your fellow whites you may have heard about or even experienced, it does not come close to what blacks experience - what we do to them IS worse than what they do to us, because we are socially and economically more powerful. But if history teaches anything, it's that the great wheel turns, and those who are on top today will someday not be on top. Just something to remember....

The reason is because its bull****. While individual discrimination exists, white people don't face racial persecution on a systemic level in the U.S. whatsoever. Overwhelming majorities that hold all the power trying to pretend they are persecuted victims is just pathetic. Try living in South Korea or Japan to get a taste of real discrimination.

They don't? Are males of "white" races covered by Affirmative action? There are United Negro College Fund schools, are there any United Caucasian College Fund schools? Can a crime against a heterosexual Caucasian be classified as a "hate crime" under hate crime statutes? Are there grants and scholarship programs that are available only to people of "white" races?

They don't? Are males of "white" races covered by Affirmative action? There are United Negro College Fund schools, are there any United Caucasian College Fund schools? Can a crime against a heterosexual Caucasian be classified as a "hate crime" under hate crime statutes? Are there grants and scholarship programs that are available only to people of "white" races?

name one point in time in our nations history where whites were a minority and persecuted for the color of their skin.

Whatever racism against you or your fellow whites you may have heard about or even experienced, it does not come close to what blacks experience - what we do to them IS worse than what they do to us, because we are socially and economically more powerful. But if history teaches anything, it's that the great wheel turns, and those who are on top today will someday not be on top. Just something to remember....

And this is exactly what I was talking about: racism is wrong, regardless. It's not "wronger" depending on power dynamics. It's wrong either way. If you want to insert power dynamics in there after the fact, do so, but don't be surprised when people just so "No, racism is wrong and I'm not going to listen to any justifications about how it's less wrong in certain instances".

there are more whites on food stamps then blacks but if you say anything negative about food stamps you are a racist

Back
Top Bottom