• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Racism, is it still a big problem?

democrat17

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
lately i have noticed that the people of today are just as racist as the people of 50 years ago, if not more. some people just like to say the names but a lot of people are just plain racist. What do you think?

Yes it is a problem. Still. As big as a problem as it was 40 years ago during the civil rights movement. Its still there, its just a lot more subtle then it was.

I agree. I think that much of the racism is more underlying in it's nature than perhaps in the 1950's..it is still extremely previlant.

i dont think anyone in this thread was alive 40 or 50 years ago so how would you know?

is it still a problem? yes, but id say about 10% of the problem it used to be.

FiremanRyan said:
i dont think anyone in this thread was alive 40 or 50 years ago so how would you know?

is it still a problem? yes, but id say about 10% of the problem it used to be.

Really? Maybe I better check my pulse to see if I'm still alive. Is 72 too old to be a member of this forum?

Anyway, yes there is still racism, but 40 or 50 years ago it was against blacks, now it is mostly against Orientals and Spanish speaking people. Sure, there is still some racism against blacks but it is minimal. It would probably completely disappear for blacks if they dropped their 'demand' for reparations for slavery back before the civil war.

Were not just as racist as foutry years ago. The media make stories into a race issuse. They make the police like they are out to get every Black person, which is false. We made a lot of progress in race in America.

Not really Ace. You must not speak from experience. I have cousins and an uncle who are extremely racist and I've seen examples of racism in school when it comes to blacks and muslims.

I don't know about the muslims but everytime a black man gets arrested they always blame the white cops. Black cops arrest black suspects you know.

FinnMacCool said:
Not really Ace. You must not speak from experience. I have cousins and an uncle who are extremely racist and I've seen examples of racism in school when it comes to blacks and muslims.

but your family doesnt speak for everyone else's.

if you want to know the real truth, racism actually is still around but not in the way you'd think. growing up i spent half my time in the country with nothing but whites and the other half in the Mission District of San Francisco which is largely black. i learned racism at a young age but it wasnt from the 'red-state' white folks in Sonoma County, it was from blacks. ive been jumped, robbed, and called cracker, white boy, etc. but have yet to see a group of white guys ganging up on a black guy and calling him a n****r. i guess everyone has different experiences and while you might think that whites are still racist because your cousins and uncle are, i could just as easily think that only black people are racist because, well...they are for the most part.

almost every leader of the black community today is racist. they dont even hide it. and of course, their excuse is for the treatment they've gotten from whites generations ago (for most of them). my dads family was driven out of their neighborhood when he was young because the community was Jewish and hated Italians for some reason. that doesnt make it ok for me to be an anti-semite. its time to quite excusing people for their actions. 3/4 of our prisons are filled with black people and thats no coincidence. im far from racist, thats just a fact. im going off on a tangent now but im sure you get what im saying.

FiremanRyan said:
but your family doesnt speak for everyone else's.

if you want to know the real truth, racism actually is still around but not in the way you'd think. growing up i spent half my time in the country with nothing but whites and the other half in the Mission District of San Francisco which is largely black. i learned racism at a young age but it wasnt from the 'red-state' white folks in Sonoma County, it was from blacks. ive been jumped, robbed, and called cracker, white boy, etc. but have yet to see a group of white guys ganging up on a black guy and calling him a n****r. i guess everyone has different experiences and while you might think that whites are still racist because your cousins and uncle are, i could just as easily think that only black people are racist because, well...they are for the most part.

almost every leader of the black community today is racist. they dont even hide it. and of course, their excuse is for the treatment they've gotten from whites generations ago (for most of them). my dads family was driven out of their neighborhood when he was young because the community was Jewish and hated Italians for some reason. that doesnt make it ok for me to be an anti-semite. its time to quite excusing people for their actions. 3/4 of our prisons are filled with black people and thats no coincidence. im far from racist, thats just a fact. im going off on a tangent now but im sure you get what im saying.

The tone of your message, as well as many of the statements ("I could just as easily think only black people are racist because, well...they are for the most part" or "3/4 of our prosons are filled with black people and that's no coicidence" shows my point. That racism is still very prevelant, if not a blatent as before.

Being politically correct may stand in the way of many people. Others may only speak about it with their family and close friends. Others may never utter a racist word, but may switch sides of the street when seeing a black man approaching or use statements like "They are all blah blah blah" when referrring to another race.

I was not around 40-50 years ago. i am also lucky enough to not have had to deal with racism. But that by no means make in any less of a position to be able to say that racism is still a problem.

I don't think until you have stood in the shoes of a black, oriental, spanish, etc. man or woman you can say that racism is no longer a problem.

getinvolved said:
The tone of your message, as well as many of the statements ("I could just as easily think only black people are racist because, well...they are for the most part" or "3/4 of our prosons are filled with black people and that's no coicidence" shows my point. That racism is still very prevelant, if not a blatent as before.

Being politically correct may stand in the way of many people. Others may only speak about it with their family and close friends. Others may never utter a racist word, but may switch sides of the street when seeing a black man approaching or use statements like "They are all blah blah blah" when referrring to another race.

I was not around 40-50 years ago. i am also lucky enough to not have had to deal with racism. But that by no means make in any less of a position to be able to say that racism is still a problem.

I don't think until you have stood in the shoes of a black, oriental, spanish, etc. man or woman you can say that racism is no longer a problem.
I would agree with this if not for assumptions that may just be the result of personal incidents...

If you walked down the street and got mugged by three black guys, then the next week cross the street when you see three black guys coming toward you, you are considered a racist, which would be untrue...

If a cab driver says he doesn't pick up black people because he's been screwed on the tab 10 times in his profession, and they were all black people, he is considered a racist, which would be untrue...

When a waitress doesn't want to serve a black entourage because she has firsthand saw that black people are traditionally bad tippers, she is considered a racist, which would be untrue...

Its personal experiences like this which lead one to consider the patterns formed...It's a shame that more black people don't speak out and say to their own community, "Knock it off!...You give us a bad name."...

We need more Cosbys...

Unfortunately, I think racism is still a problem in the country. I think it's hard to deny. I do think, however, there is much hope and much progress has been made. We do have to remember that it's only been give or take 40 years since the the true civil rights movement. We still have many years to go, but I think we ultimately make progress.

getinvolved said:

i respectully disagree with every word of that. i would like you to tell all of the black people i work with everyday that im racist, im sure theyd disagree as well. in fact, ive said this stuff to most of their faces and they agree. its not racist to say that the overwhelming majority of our prisons are filled with black people because they are. it may be politically incorrect to talk about it but its a hard fact to ignore. its nothing but science, when you see a trend in something it should be investigated. when i say that the problem of racism comes from blacks rather than whites, i might be making a general statement but thats just what ive experienced. when youre an innocent 16 year old and a group of 20 something black guys put 14 stitches in your eyebrow and break your jaw, the whole while calling you white boy (that among many other instances ive seen) you might think the same think. DESPITE my experience, i still have no qualls with blacks and hold no racist views whatsoever.

Last edited:
lately i have noticed that the people of today are just as racist as the people of 50 years ago, if not more. some people just like to say the names but a lot of people are just plain racist. What do you think?

I do not know if that is true.But I beleave things are different now based on historical accounts of what happened.People do not get lynched,Crosses are not burned onto lawns,only nazis and other racist groups call black people the N-word, and there is alot of interacial marriages today.

Yes, racism is a problem today, but not so much about whites hating blacks but the other way around. I mean for instance there is a black entertainment channel(B.E.T), but if there was a white entertainment channel then it would automatically be racist. And it's OK for a black person to call a person a wigger or a cracker or white trash, but if a white person calls a black person a nigger then it's automatically racist. Even tho the Dictionary term for nigger is a stupid or ignorant person. Also black people think people are still racist because of the slaves, but the way i see it is that most of the black people that are still living today were not apart of that although their grandparents and ancestors might have been is irrelevant.

FiremanRyan said:
i respectully disagree with every word of that. i would like you to tell all of the black people i work with everyday that im racist, im sure theyd disagree as well. in fact, ive said this stuff to most of their faces and they agree. its not racist to say that the overwhelming majority of our prisons are filled with black people because they are. it may be politically incorrect to talk about it but its a hard fact to ignore.

Why should it be politically incorrect and automatically assumed as being racist? I mean if a state prison was full of mostly whites, there would be no problem talking about it and it would definetly not be racist, but how come it is when it's about a black person? i mean don't get me wrong i'm just agreeing w/ most of what you saiid. and i am also not racist in any way.

Actually I call kids at my school wiggers (cause they act like they are rappers from the ghetto even though they are jewish) . And regardless of what you think of the word "nigger" in my mind, and pretty much everyone elses mind, a nigger is a black so I choose not to use it as its insulting to black people. I wouldn't call a black guy a nigger anyways even if he was an asshole though.

And as for the whole White entertainment channel thing yeah if there was such a thing it could be considered racist but its also would be really dumb because there are so many television shows devoted to that **** so whatever. besides white is kinda general. When I say black I mean african but if you say white it could mean anybody.

FinnMacCool said:
Actually I call kids at my school wiggers (cause they act like they are rappers from the ghetto even though they are jewish) . And regardless of what you think of the word "nigger" in my mind, and pretty much everyone elses mind, a nigger is a black so I choose not to use it as its insulting to black people. I wouldn't call a black guy a nigger anyways even if he was an asshole though.

And as for the whole White entertainment channel thing yeah if there was such a thing it could be considered racist but its also would be really dumb because there are so many television shows devoted to that **** so whatever. besides white is kinda general. When I say black I mean african but if you say white it could mean anybody.

can u name one t.v. show that is devoted only to white entertainers? and why should it be ok for a black person to call themself a nigger but not for a white person to say it, and also how can u say that u won't say nigger to insult a black person but a black person could refer to you as white trash which in a sense is basically just calling u a nigger but saying it in a different way because u are white.

No but I'm sure there a few dedicated to only Irish people and german etc.

Besides I call my fellow white people white trash anyways. If a black guy called me white trash I would laugh at him, to be quite honest.

And I really don't give a **** what they call each other, to be quite honest. If they dont' want me to call them that I won't. However, I know a friend who hangs out with black guys and he called them niggers and they didn't care. Perhaps its because if you don't know them very well and you call them a nigger, it would be perceived as an insult? thats my guess anyways.

i may be coming off as a racist person, I am not, but i just think it's dumb how most black people use racism as an excuse for everything. I'm not saying it's right to call a black person a nigger, i just think it's messed up how if it has to do with blacks then it is automatically assumed racist if it's something bad, like say you don't like a person that is black, then it's considered racist. i just don't understand and proably never will

Look if you go up to someone and call them a nigger, 99 percent of the time its meant as an insult I mean come on. In this day and age, who in the world goes around calling black guys niggers unless they are at a distance? I think if your friends of the black guys its alright.

yea i agree with you i'm just talking about in general i'm off the whole calling someone a nigger thing, i meant just saying "oh i don't like that person" and the person happening to be black then most of the time the people around u and most likely that person would think that you were racist.

Well I dunno about that. I go to a school that is very mixed and there are a lot of black guys around and I have never personally had that experience with any of them. Perhaps its different elsewhere but unless somethign has personally happened to you then well thats that.

Unfortunately, slavery is a part of our history that's a stain that can't be washed away. It was the catalyst that produced racism that is still alive today. Are things better than they use to be, I would think definitely so. Anyone, no matter their color, can succeed in America today if they: 1) graduate high school; 2) get a job and work hard; and 3) obey the law. It really is that simple, and not all that hard to do.

Someone made a point earlier about the media perpetuating racism by over-reporting any story that includes people of different races, and doing so under the headline that insinuates "black vs. white". This does nothing but takes small events and turns them into blockbuster media stories in order to fill pages of newspapers, or airtime on 24-hour news channels. It's truly a pathetic act on the part of the media.

As long as we have the likes of Je$$ie Jack$on and Al $harpton there will not be much more harmony than we have now between the races. Their whole basis for power is predicated around racial tension. No matter how much cooperation and mutual respect between blacks and whites might go on, you can always count on the race pimps to rein in blacks in order to remind them that whites aren't to be trusted, only the pimps are to be so. If ever we had great relations between the races these two characters would be out of a job and would no longer have the vast influence they do. So, don't count on them or the NAACP to formulate racial harmony and celebrate it. To do so would put them out of business...and it's a profitable business they would be out of.

Red State Sage said:
Unfortunately, slavery is a part of our history that's a stain that can't be washed away. It was the catalyst that produced racism that is still alive today. Are things better than they use to be, I would think definitely so. Anyone, no matter their color, can succeed in America today if they: 1) graduate high school; 2) get a job and work hard; and 3) obey the law. It really is that simple, and not all that hard to do.

Someone made a point earlier about the media perpetuating racism by over-reporting any story that includes people of different races, and doing so under the headline that insinuates "black vs. white". This does nothing but takes small events and turns them into blockbuster media stories in order to fill pages of newspapers, or airtime on 24-hour news channels. It's truly a pathetic act on the part of the media.

As long as we have the likes of Je$$ie Jack$on and Al $harpton there will not be much more harmony than we have now between the races. Their whole basis for power is predicated around racial tension. No matter how much cooperation and mutual respect between blacks and whites might go on, you can always count on the race pimps to rein in blacks in order to remind them that whites aren't to be trusted, only the pimps are to be so. If ever we had great relations between the races these two characters would be out of a job and would no longer have the vast influence they do. So, don't count on them or the NAACP to formulate racial harmony and celebrate it. To do so would put them out of business...and it's a profitable business they would be out of.

on point. its sad that the modern leaders of the black community like the NAACP, Sharpton, Jackson etc. do nothing but insinuate racism and set their people back 100 years, yet the community still trusts them and allows them to speak on their behalf. these people arent 'martin luther kings'. MLK fought for equality while they fight for separation.

if we as a society continue to allow african americans to lean on the crutch of social advancement programs (i.e. affirmative action) and excuse their actions based on mistakes made hundreds of years ago, they will never have the equality that they fight for. its honestly sickening that african americans have to be less equal than whites in the 21st century because of their own devises.

like Red State Sage said, if you go to school (which is provided by the government so theirs no excuse), work hard, and abide by the law, you can succeed in America today no matter what your race is. its true...no excuses.

Back
Top Bottom