• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Racial Profiling

Which of these statements is true about racial profiling and terrorism?

• Total voters
aquapub said:
I have no vandetta vs Islam, I just understand terrorists. My vandetta is against people (ACLU, liberals in general) who refuse to learn from history and would have us focus on being sensitive to our enemies (while they use that against us) and have our hands tied behind our backs at every turn.

The only problem is you don't know who the enemy is, so you guess, and with that system, most of the time you will guess wrong and cause irreversible social damages to America's already damaged racial make-up.

Racial profiling is everywhere in the US, jobs, colleges, media, etc.

HTColeman said:
The only problem is you don't know who the enemy is, so you guess, and with that system, most of the time you will guess wrong and cause irreversible social damages to America's already damaged racial make-up.

we have a very good idea who it is
young arab males are the most likely candidates and therefor should be scrutinized moreso than a 90 year old lady

DeeJayH said:
we have a very good idea who it is
young arab males are the most likely candidates and therefor should be scrutinized moreso than a 90 year old lady

Yes, the enemy are young arab males, glad we got that cleared up

HTColeman said:

so it's racial profiling that are causing African-American's and Latino's in LA to pummel the hell out of each other in the county jails? Hmmm glad you had the answer to that, considering LA officals still aren't sure what sparked it, and are scared even moreso that the Cripps and the Bloods, both rival gangs, have been seen TOGETHER going out for who.. oh yeah Latino's.

But glad to know racial profiling is sparking such tension. I can sleep better at night :roll:

HTColeman said:

Airline inconveniences = "irreversible social damages?"

Typical hysterical liberal distortion. We are talking about saving thousands of people by more thoroughly searching the one group that has hijacked 100% of America's hijacked planes.

debate_junkie said:
so it's racial profiling that are causing African-American's and Latino's in LA to pummel the hell out of each other in the county jails? Hmmm glad you had the answer to that, considering LA officals still aren't sure what sparked it, and are scared even moreso that the Cripps and the Bloods, both rival gangs, have been seen TOGETHER going out for who.. oh yeah Latino's.

But glad to know racial profiling is sparking such tension. I can sleep better at night :roll:

What are you talking about? I don't believe I ever mentioned any of the above subjects...Gangs and the cause of them, no, I never even remotely went into that subject. Maybe you could connect the dots?

aquapub said:
Airline inconveniences = "irreversible social damages?"

I have already addressed this exactly

HTColeman said:
Yes, the argument is that focusing on arab males in airports is only an invonvenience, but what could be put in place to guaruntee that it stops there? In the past, such discrimination only escalates if the problem gets worse.

Typical hysterical liberal distortion. We are talking about saving thousands of people by more thoroughly searching the one group that has hijacked 100% of America's hijacked planes.

Oh yes, if we don't discriminate we will all die, typical use of fear by those who are scared themselves.

HTColeman said:
Oh yes, if we don't discriminate we will all die, typical use of fear by those who are scared themselves.

This policy could have prevented 9/11. Call it scare tactics if you think that impresses anyone here, but it just plain isn't.

HTColeman said:
Originally Posted by HTColeman
Yes, the argument is that focusing on arab males in airports is only an invonvenience, but what could be put in place to guaruntee that it stops there? In the past, such discrimination only escalates if the problem gets worse.

Um, the same way you ensure that no one is doing anything improper now. You make rules and punish anyone who violates them. Not rocket science.

If we are talking airport security, I don't see the point. I think we need better technology, if we can't sniff out a bomb, or pick up a metal, we are screwed, that is all!

Just as I said in another thread where a man was shot for apparently having a bomb, if the technology that is supposed to pick that up is not working, it's no use, we are dead in the water.:shock:

HTColeman said:

So I suppose you would have been insisting to Robert Kennedy that the Justice Department refrain from only investigating white people when looking into Klan violence-under the guise that federal agents might somehow abuse their power if allowed to single out Southern whites?

Would you also then oppose the police having the right to single out known sex offenders in child rape investigations?

I suppose that you can see the inherent stupidity of what you are suggesting as long as it is not being applied to the left's beloved, bloodthirsty "religion of peace."

By your logic, you can justify opposing anything our authorities might need to do to prevent or prosecute anything from mass murder to molestation. There is always the risk that some individual(s) might abuse their power, but fear of that kind of deviation certainly should not be the basis for whether or not we use common sense in defending ourselves.

Would you base your opinion on whether or not we should have liberated Iraq on the possibility of something like Abu Ghirab? If this is what keeps Democrats opposing every single national security measure Bush has taken, siding with every single enemy this country has had for the last fifty years, appeasing all our nightmarishly scary enemies like North Korea, and doing nothing about a decade of Al Queda attacks, I think you have plenty of evidence that this, "play nice with the bloodthirsty savages" approach doesn't work and isn't worth it.

What exactly is it you are afraid might be done to these people if they are allowed to be searched more thoroughly than the 0% of the rest of the population hijacking American planes? If you are worried that they will be abused by bigoted security guards once they are behind closed doors (which is still nowhere near as grave a risk as mass murder), we could always insist that terror suspects be interrogated/searched by multiple agents in the room at the same time and at least one supervisor.

Still not enough? We could take it a step further and insist that one of the agents present must be black (which would nearly guarantee them to be a Democrat) to ensure that someone with maximum racial oversensitivity is present and approves of the methods being used. And just to make sure liberals are fully satisfied, we can even make sure all the blacks we hire to meet this mandate are less qualified than all the white applicants we reject.

Last edited:
aquapub said:
So I suppose you would have been insisting to Robert Kennedy that the Justice Department refrain from only investigating white people when looking into Klan violence-under the guise that federal agents might somehow abuse their power if allowed to single out Southern whites?

Obviously southern and white was not the only criteria that was used, or else it would have been a complete waste of time and money. They looked into whites with clear ties to Klan activities. They did not investigate random white people.

Would you also then oppose the police having the right to single out known sex offenders in child rape investigations?

However, if you only focus on sex offenders, you greatly decrease your chance of finding the actual rapist. For example, in 1994 only 5.3% of the sex offenders released were rearrested for a new sex crime within 3 years of release.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#sex

I suppose that you can see the inherent stupidity of what you are suggesting as long as it is not being applied to the left's beloved, bloodthirsty "religion of peace."

Don't put your stereotypes on me, it has nothing to do with political parties, it is a matter of opinion.

By your logic, you can justify opposing anything our authorities might need to do to prevent or prosecute anything from mass murder to molestation. There is always the risk that some individual(s) might abuse their power, but fear of that kind of deviation certainly should not be the basis for whether or not we use common sense in defending ourselves.

No, I justify opposing it that any benefit of racial profiling is merely speculation and therefore is not worth the risk of future social harms. There is no study that racial profiling actually leads to finding the offender. The Supreme Court has already ruled that separate is inherently unequal, this include treatment. By discriminating, you are treating them separately, and therefore inherently unequal.

Would you base your opinion on whether or not we should have liberated Iraq on the possibility of something like Abu Ghirab? If this is what keeps Democrats opposing every single national security measure Bush has taken, siding with every single enemy this country has had for the last fifty years, appeasing all our nightmarishly scary enemies like North Korea, and doing nothing about a decade of Al Queda attacks, I think you have plenty of evidence that this, "play nice with the bloodthirsty savages" approach doesn't work and isn't worth it.

This is about what we are doing to our own citizens not foreign policy, keep the debate relevant. If you want to talk about Democrats foreign policy, start a thread.

What exactly is it you are afraid might be done to these people if they are allowed to be searched more thoroughly than the 0% of the rest of the population hijacking American planes? If you are worried that they will be abused by bigoted security guards once they are behind closed doors (which is still nowhere near as grave a risk as mass murder), we could always insist that terror suspects be interrogated/searched by multiple agents in the room at the same time and at least one supervisor.

It is not the act, it is the principal that you believe that race is enough evidence to be accused of terrorist activity. Terrorists are cowards, evil, twisted bastards. And this is what you associate the arab race with? They have a right to go about their day just as you or I.

Still not enough? We could take it a step further and insist that one of the agents present must be black (which would nearly guarantee them to be a Democrat) to ensure that someone with maximum racial oversensitivity is present and approves of the methods being used. And just to make sure liberals are fully satisfied, we can even make sure all the blacks we hire to meet this mandate are less qualified than all the white applicants we reject.

Was that an attempt to insult me? It just shows your ignorance.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Of course profiling of any sort is evil and should not be countenanced by a civilized society.

When the cops are searching for a rapist, they should interrogate equal numbers of men and women. The description of the rapist should not include any information that would tell the reader what sex the suspect is, how tall they are (short people got rights too, eh?), skin color, hair color (bald guys can get it up, too), etc. Concentrating law enforcement efforts only on those likely to be a rapist is discriminatory and should not be permitted.
:rofl Ever consider a profession as a stand up comedian?

HTColeman said:
Obviously southern and white was not the only criteria that was used, or else it would have been a complete waste of time and money. They looked into whites with clear ties to Klan activities. They did not investigate random white people.

What if they were willing to exclude black, Chinese, and native American people from their investigation and only look at white people? Sounds stupid, to even ask, right? Well, when you demand that we look at people who are hijacking 0% of America's planes just as much as we do those that have hijacked 100% of them, you are being equally stupid.

HTColeman said:
1)However, if you only focus on sex offenders, you greatly decrease your chance of finding the actual rapist. For example, in 1994 only 5.3% of the sex offenders released were rearrested for a new sex crime within 3 years of release.

2)...any benefit of racial profiling is merely speculation and therefore is not worth the risk of future social harms. There is no study that racial profiling actually leads to finding the offender.

3)The Supreme Court has already ruled that separate is inherently unequal, this include treatment. By discriminating, you are treating them separately, and therefore inherently unequal.

:rofl

1) So you don't look at the perverts when a kid has been raped, you don't look at the thieves when something has been stolen, and you don't look at young, Arab, Muslim men when infidels are being slaughtered by the thousands-and you think that's effective?

You are a liberal. :doh

2) Speculation?!?!? Yeah, looking at the ONLY people commiting the crime you are investigating has no demonstrable benefit. What was I thinking?

Some things are just too damn obvious to do studies on.

3) The Supreme Court also legalized slavery. Their judgement is far from infallible. Besides, they aren't the ones charged with preventing mass murder. Also, what you are calling, "discrimination" is an extra 5-20 minutes in line at the airport. What a tragedy.

Last edited:
PROFILING - is an essential tool in law enforcement - wether you're a civilian police officer, military police, or even a security guard (in a high security facility - i.e. a nuclear power plant) ---

not profiling is like putting on blindfolds - the criminals will take theirs off while the rest of us stay in the dark.

by the way - racial profiling doesn't necessarily mean "minority" profiling.

***armed robbery at a 7-11: the clerk said the suspect was - male about 6' 3" tall - probably about 280 lbs. - shaved head & goatee - AND was white - wearing a navy blue sweat shirt & torn jeans - he was dirty & had a very raspy voice - drove away in mid 80s mustang: very rusty - with plastic covering the rear window.***

who you going to for?

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
PROFILING - is an essential tool in law enforcement - wether you're a civilian police officer, military police, or even a security guard (in a high security facility - i.e. a nuclear power plant) ---

not profiling is like putting on blindfolds - the criminals will take theirs off while the rest of us stay in the dark.

by the way - racial profiling doesn't necessarily mean "minority" profiling.

***armed robbery at a 7-11: the clerk said the suspect was - male about 6' 3" tall - probably about 280 lbs. - shaved head & goatee - AND was white - wearing a navy blue sweat shirt & torn jeans - he was dirty & had a very raspy voice - drove away in mid 80s mustang: very rusty - with plastic covering the rear window.***

who you going to look for?

If nothing else, it's clearly ok to prevent mass murder. ;)

Airport security is a complete PC waste of time. would be faster and cheaper to pull security from the airports all together. Your not going to find anything strip searching the granny. Your not allowed to actually check those that fit the current profile of a terrorist. So instead of wasting the money making the liberals and terrorist feel better lets use it for something that actually might make a difference. And the next time a plane kills a few thousand people..... "thats just the price ya pay if you want to be free":doh :doh

Calm2Chaos said:
Airport security is a complete PC waste of time. would be faster and cheaper to pull security from the airports all together. Your not going to find anything strip searching the granny. Your not allowed to actually check those that fit the current profile of a terrorist. So instead of wasting the money making the liberals and terrorist feel better lets use it for something that actually might make a difference. And the next time a plane kills a few thousand people..... "thats just the price ya pay if you want to be free":doh :doh

Amen. If we were just talking about one child being raped or a mere murder here, Democrats might be able to get away with selling this PC crap like they usually do, but when what's at stake is mass murder, there's no way.

Back
Top Bottom