• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Racial hatred imposed on Zimmerman case from the beginning.

Capster78

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It occurred on both sides. Do I believe Zimmerman racially profiled Martin? I think the obvious answer is yes. But what I keep hearing is the black community lashing out at the racial profiling that occurs and not on the reasons why they are racially profiled. They blame society for racially profiling them and put the blame in societies lap in solving the issue when they are not dealing with the issues in their own communities that cause them to be racially profiled. I will not post the statistics because they are well known and it would only be beating a dead horse. The statistics are staggering and I think those who continue to ignore the problem and blame everyone else for it are doing a great dis-service to their own people. That, I think is the core issue that we are failing to deal with. What needs to be done in the black community to get them out of the violent cycle that many of them fall into? How far should society go to help bring about change and how do we create a measured response where the answer does not turn into entitlement? What kind of response can we have in order to come halfway and encourage those in need to come half way so we can all solve this problem. The real problem here is not being dealt with. Blaming society for profiling a problem within your community does not solve the problem and will only continue to be a problem if it is not solved.

The media has also played a large role in this mess. The media played off the underlying racial issues and played both sides like a fiddle. They do so unappologetically and even after it was pointed out to them, they continue to do it even today. Just look at who they interview. All the interviews I have seen have been purposefully staged in order to bring in the racial divide. It all rests in the primary evil called greed. A no name reporter in Florida blew the whistle and pulled the race card. All journalists are looking for that one story that will launch their careers. And we as a society feed it by giving them the attention the seek. Which in turn brings in advertising which brings in revenue. So in essence, we are feeding the problem while at the same time complaining about it. I think this falls on deaf ears with many people because they are just so ignorantly caught up in the mess we call American society that they fail to see the glaring contradictions in it. This case is a perfect storm of many of those contradictions and the media mess in our country is just another one of them.

We imposed our own personal biases on this case and Zimmerman is paying for that. A case that was so glaringly obvious as a case of self defense gets turned into something it should have never been. Should there have been a trial, yes, I believe there should have been even if I think a trial is a waste of time. In any case where someone is killed, there should always be an investigation and a trial. We should always give the deceased that attention and respect simply out of human decency. If we value life at all, it should be important to explore all the evidence in the death of a person even if that person may or may not deserve it. As an individual, they may not deserve it but all humans should be given that respect as a whole. But I think we let this one get out of hand. Many tried to impose their beliefs by using this case as a springboard / podium to express their skewed views. The usual suspects appeared and tried to turn this into something it should have never been. There does need to be a discussion about racial issues, but to use this trial and a persons life as a sounding board for that discussion was wrong. The real problem is having this discussion brings out many issues that many do not want to deal with.

Only when we remove emotion from the discussion will we ever get to the real issues that need to be dealt with. The main problems lie in the African American community. There is a lot of sensitivity surrounding the issue, much of it from the civil rights era which have for a long time put much of the discussion off limits out of political correctness. It's unfortunate that there are so many people out there that are still unwilling to put the issues out on the table and handle them subjectively. They still prefer to handle everything with emotion rather that subjectively. That is why there will be more Trayvon Martins out there, not because society is racially biased against blacks, but because the black community is failing to deal with the issues within their own communities.

You greatly oversimplify the situation. Substitute Muslim for black and test that theory of yours. The vast majority of Jihad terror attacks are carried out by a tiny minority of the Muslim population, just as the vast majority of black crime is carried out by a tiny minority of the black population. Surely both good Muslims and good blacks can make a difference, yet until that miracle occurs, then all Muslims and all blacks will be forced to suffer for the actions of a tiny minority based on "profiling".

TM was not in a minority community, he was in a mixed community, and you seem to buy into that minset of the ONLY reason that TM was "suspicious" was because of his race. I suspect that his age, gender, manner of dress and "evasive" actions made him much more suspicious than his race did.

The simle fact that there are black communities should tell you something is wrong with your basic theory - you want them to be both separate and equal. I blame their "leaders" that want them to remain separate, take pride in that (self?) separation and celibrate the code of the hood that makes it a "street justice" DP offense to rat out a brother/sister to law enforcement and then blame others (whitey?) for the resulting conditions.

You greatly oversimplify the situation. Substitute Muslim for black and test that theory of yours. The vast majority of Jihad terror attacks are carried out by a tiny minority of the Muslim population, just as the vast majority of black crime is carried out by a tiny minority of the black population. Surely both good Muslims and good blacks can make a difference, yet until that miracle occurs, then all Muslims and all blacks will be forced to suffer for the actions of a tiny minority based on "profiling".

By saying this YOU are actually simplifying the issue. I would not argue that crime in the black community is commited by a minority group of people in that community but by saying that you are actually trying to diminish it. When crime committed by a particular group of people is so disproportionate as it is when it comes to crime committed by people who identify as black it is a problem that needs to be looked at. Not excused and explained away as you and many others are trying to do. And I agree that the majority should not suffer at the hands of the minority, but to say that actions that have a large effect which come from a minority group are not going to lead to profiling is I think intellectually dishonest. There is obviously a problem there and it needs to be dealt with. And since many of those within that community wish to keep their stranglehold of social power over that community, they continue to rebuke any real outside help in order to maintain control. Only the people within that community can create an environment conducive for change. That is why I think they need to throw those leaders out of influence and start looking at the issues subjectively. Only then will they be able to stem the cycle many of these young black children fall into. By creating and environment where accountability is dodged and imposed on society instead on the individuals committing the crimes, we create and environment were more Travon Martins will die.

TM was not in a minority community, he was in a mixed community, and you seem to buy into that minset of the ONLY reason that TM was "suspicious" was because of his race. I suspect that his age, gender, manner of dress and "evasive" actions made him much more suspicious than his race did.

Well, I will not pretend I know the mind of Zimmerman, but I think the above statement is probably mostly correct. I still think race had an impact because he mentioned the suspects race in his rant with the dispatcher when he first called the police.

The simle fact that there are black communities should tell you something is wrong with your basic theory - you want them to be both separate and equal. I blame their "leaders" that want them to remain separate, take pride in that (self?) separation and celibrate the code of the hood that makes it a "street justice" DP offense to rat out a brother/sister to law enforcement and then blame others (whitey?) for the resulting conditions.

I agree with this completely. I never said that I wanted them to be separate. I just acknowledge that the reality is they are separate for the very reasons you mention above.

By saying this YOU are actually simplifying the issue. I would not argue that crime in the black community is commited by a minority group of people in that community but by saying that you are actually trying to diminish it. When crime committed by a particular group of people is so disproportionate as it is when it comes to crime committed by people who identify as black it is a problem that needs to be looked at. Not excused and explained away as you and many others are trying to do. And I agree that the majority should not suffer at the hands of the minority, but to say that actions that have a large effect which come from a minority group are not going to lead to profiling is I think intellectually dishonest. There is obviously a problem there and it needs to be dealt with. And since many of those within that community wish to keep their stranglehold of social power over that community, they continue to rebuke any real outside help in order to maintain control. Only the people within that community can create an environment conducive for change. That is why I think they need to throw those leaders out of influence and start looking at the issues subjectively. Only then will they be able to stem the cycle many of these young black children fall into. By creating and environment where accountability is dodged and imposed on society instead on the individuals committing the crimes, we create and environment were more Travon Martins will die.

Well, I will not pretend I know the mind of Zimmerman, but I think the above statement is probably mostly correct. I still think race had an impact because he mentioned the suspects race in his rant with the dispatcher when he first called the police.

I agree with this completely. I never said that I wanted them to be separate. I just acknowledge that the reality is they are separate for the very reasons you mention above.

Here is the SPD dispatcher transcript including all that GZ initially said about race (I have even bolded it for you):

Dispatcher

Sanford Police Department.

Zimmerman

Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, uh, it's Retreat View Circle, um, the best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher

OK, and this guy is he white, black, or hispanic?

Zimmerman

He looks black.

Dispatcher

Did you see what he was wearing?

Zimmerman

Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's here now, he was just staring.

Transcript of George Zimmerman 911 Call - by Oliver Closoff - Newsvine

Back
Top Bottom