• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rachel Maddow On Keith Olbermann’s Suspension (Video)

She acts as if America didn't already know that about FOX. Duh????

FOX is the republican channel. Who in their right mind denies that? Theres no law against claiming to be fair and balanced when you're not. That's called free speech.

They are not obligated to enforce MSNBC rules of integrity across the street at FOX. They are free to run their business as they see fit. If FOX was to succomb to MSNBC's journalistic integrity they would lose millions. It is not what their viewers want to hear. As long as they want to buy snake oil, FOX would be a fool not to sell it to them.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

But Hannity is an TV editorialist. He is not a news man... he is an opinion man. He never pretends to be anything other than a partisan Republican. Though I dislike his show(s), I don't have any problem with him having them.

For this same reason I find MSNBCs policy and firing of KO to be very odd, though within their rights.

Does Maddow ever come off as biased? I don't watch her either. I mean from the few clips I have seen I think about rocks and glass houses and such.

Raising my glass to Rachel Maddow this morning. Well done.

Just to let you know, most of what I'm reading from the right about the suspension, criticizes NBC for using such a cheesy excuse to suspend the guy. The consensus seems to be, that the ethics rule being applied to opinion hosts such as Olbermann is ridiculous, which I happen to agree with. The rule was put there to preserve the integrity and impartiality of their journalists, but Olbermann is no more a journalist than Hannity or Rush Limbaugh is. He is paid for his impartiality and partisan viewpoint, so such a standard should not apply.

Don't get me wrong though... I still think he's a douche.

Last edited:
That seems to be the same position that noted conservative William Kristol has also taken in support of Olbermann. Although the douche part was not included in his brief statement of support.

Reactions: mpg
That seems to be the same position that noted conservative William Kristol has also taken in support of Olbermann. Although the douche part was not included in his brief statement of support.

I have yet to read his take on things. As for my comments, having a dislike for someone doesn't change the reality of the situation. Everything I've posted about this issue is based on reality of what happened.

NBC had the right to suspend him.
Olbermann should have known better, since he signed an agreement with them.
As I pointed out yesterday, I don't think that was the real reason NBC suspended him, but rather just an excuse to do so.
I think the rule shouldn't be applied to him or other political opinion hosts, because they are not journalists.
This isn't the same as the Juan Williams issue.
And I don't think his rights were violated... He traded his rights for the $$$

As I said in the other thread about this, MSNBC was perfectly within their rights for firing Olbermann for violating their ethics policy. That said, I think it is silly for MSNBC to apply that specific policy towards commentators who have no pretense of being neutral, objective, or unbiased. We all know where Olbermann leans, just like we all know where Hannity leans. I don't see how allowing either of them to get involved in the political process through donations or endorsement damages their credibility or their ability to do their jobs. They are paid to give their opinion on a daily basis.

But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what I think. The folks that run MSNBC make the policy and Olbermann is obligated to follow it.

VERY much so.

Without a doubt. Maddow is extremely biased. Although her reporting is factually indisputable, for the most part, due to her impeccable (sp?) research staff, it is always pointed at the flaws on the right. The flaws of the left goes unmentioned on her show.

Just to let you know, most of what I'm reading from the right about the suspension, criticizes NBC for using such a cheesy excuse to suspend the guy. The consensus seems to be, that the ethics rule being applied to opinion hosts such as Olbermann is ridiculous, which I happen to agree with. The rule was put there to preserve the integrity and impartiality of their journalists, but Olbermann is no more a journalist than Hannity or Rush Limbaugh is. He is paid for his impartiality and partisan viewpoint, so such a standard should not apply.
Agreed.

Don't get me wrong though... I still think he's a douche
That's okay, you hero Glenn Beck is a douche in my opinion.

Without a doubt. Maddow is extremely biased. Although her reporting is factually indisputable, for the most part, due to her impeccable (sp?) research staff, it is always pointed at the flaws on the right. The flaws of the left goes unmentioned on her show.
Yes, she's extremely accurate. She does excellent interviews. When beginning an interview she states what she thinks the position of the interviewee is then asks the person if there is anything she had gotten wrong. And she is always well prepared.

Two different networks, two different sets of editorial policies and ethical standards. NBC's seem far superior to those of Fox, it's a real news provider rather than a propaganda vehicle. Olbermann appears to have misread the very nature of the network for which he works/worked. There's little point in Maddow defending Olbermann by comparing him to Hannity IF you are claiming that MSNBC is something or anything other than just another propaganda vehicle.

Suspending or sacking the guy sends entirely the right message that MSNBC is a more trustworthy, less partisan network than Fox. Good for them!

So extreme bias is OK as long as it is accurate and agrees with the personal disposition of the listener. It is not OK if it goes against the personal disposition of the listener.

And Networks think it makes sense to fire people for expressing anything away from the camera that would harmonize with the way they act ON camera, or for being honest.

I do think I have lost my mind.

Lets see...According to Maddow...

Fox does NOT prohibit their employees from contributing to political parties. NBC does. Check.
Fox editorialists are conservative and dont hesitate to express those points of view. Check.
By her own admission Maddow and Olberman are liberal and dont hesitate to express their points of view. Check.
MSNBC, Olbermann, and Maddow as well as many others have been hypocritically banging on Fox news for being poilitical while they themselves ARE ADMITTEDLY liberal, vocal, and damn proud of it. Check.
Olbermann has made a career and built what little viewership he has by venting his spleen for years againts conservatives and Fox news. Check.
SO her 7 minute long blather basically says...FOx does NOT have rules against contributing to political parties...NBC does (unless you get permission) and Olbermann violated those rules and should have been suspended. Check.

And for the record...I WANT Olbermann back on the air. He is an asshole and makes Fox news (and any other media outlet) look sane and rational by comparison. I cand speak for or against NBC company policy. It is what it is...you know it, you follow it, or you face the consequences just like every other job in the world. But for me...free Keith!

Oh...and also...for the record...from what I have read in the last two weeks the leftists are incredibly hypocritical for their bleating about Juan WIlliams being fired for expressing a personal opinion (while in the same breath DEFENDING ALL MUSLIMS and pointing out it was the extreme fundamentalist Muslims responsible for the terror acts) and then feigning outrage when Olbermann got suspended not for expressing an opinion (for 'Petes' sake...he has been ON AIR for years demonstrating his impotent rage against conservatives and nothing but praise from NBC) but because he violated corporate rules. Not fired. Suspended. For violating rules. And the liberals here lose their minds over it.

Not fired. Suspended. For violating rules. And the liberals here lose their minds over it.

Are you reading a different thread to the one I'm reading? Could you quote me a liberal who has lost their mind over this? Just been through the main Olbermann Suspended thread and there's one single noob, called haymarket, supporting him and criticising the suspension. Where are your hordes of mind-losing liberals Vance? Or was that something known as a rhetorical device?

Two different networks, two different sets of editorial policies and ethical standards. NBC's seem far superior to those of Fox, it's a real news provider rather than a propaganda vehicle.
Really, are you serious? For the past 7-8 years, I've seen MSNBC as nothing more than the Anti-Fox :lol: It seems that the vast majority of their "news" and commentary since the '04 Pres election has simply been devoted to discrediting Fox hosts, :lamo: Once the Bush Era came to an end, people like Maddow, Chris Matthews and Olbermann became sycophants at the altar of the Obama Administration and were then free to focus nearly ALL of their efforts on Fox. Without Fox to provide them with material, how much "relevance" do you think any of these hosts would have? :shrug:

Last edited:
MSNBC is obviously the anti-Fox-commentary. MSNBC doesn't have a 'news division' or headline news 'anchors' in any ethical sense, just blah blah. Fox also actually reports news in a non-insane fashion; one can go to their website and not be repulsed, unlike MSNBC or Huffington. Yes, I put MSNBC in the same group as MoveOn, AirAmerica and the rest of that genre - because their anchors/headlines are shameless pundits. Only CNN, Fox (no Beck or Hannity), Comedy Central and Drudgereport.com are worth perusing. MSNBC is for full-on nutbags, it's worse than Fox and as bad as Fox's worst all the time. When I watch it for even a bit, to "see the other side", I feel like such an idiot. I might as well be watching Soap Operas, Springer, Americal Idol or Reality Island/House. It's that stupid. It's like trying to listen to AirAmerica. No sane person can do it. Perhaps political children, who are easily excited and perfer to Godwin most arguments.

/rant

I might go as far as to say that I would rather read a Boo or Demon post than watch MSNBC for a few minutes. Serious.

Last edited:
Really, are you serious? For the past 7-8 years, I've seen MSNBC as nothing more than the Anti-Fox :lol: It seems that the vast majority of their "news" and commentary since the '04 Pres election has simply been devoted to discrediting Fox hosts, :lamo: Once the Bush Era came to an end, people like Maddow, Chris Matthews and Olbermann became sycophants at the altar of the Obama Administration and were then free to focus nearly ALL of their efforts on Fox. Without Fox to provide them with material, how much "relevance" do you think any of these hosts would have. :shrug:

Well, they clearly know the difference between expressing an opinion and actively supporting one side of the political spectrum. That seems to be a distinction Fox have no interest in making. As I said, Good for NBC!

MSNBC is obviously the anti-Fox-commentary. MSNBC doesn't have a 'news division' or headline news 'anchors' in any ethical sense, just blah blah. Fox also actually reports news in a non-insane fashion; one can go to their website and not be repulsed, unlike MSNBC or Huffington. Yes, I put MSNBC in the same group as MoveOn, AirAmerica and the rest of that genre - because their anchors/headlines are pundits.

I would respectfully disagree. MSNBC is not my cup of tea at all but, at an institutional level, they clearly have some ethical standards. Unlike Fox.

MSNBC is obviously the anti-Fox-commentary. MSNBC doesn't have a 'news division' or headline news 'anchors' in any ethical sense, just blah blah. Fox also actually reports news in a non-insane fashion; one can go to their website and not be repulsed, unlike MSNBC or Huffington.

Nothing more clearly demonstrates that fact, than the election coverage from both networks last Tuesday.

Raising my glass to Rachel Maddow this morning. Well done.

She did nothing new. Her whole show is "Republicans bad, Liberals good, Bend over MSNBC good, Fox bad"

I knew she would end up turning on Fox instead of her own people who fired her best bud.
It's not Fox's fault that Keith's contract contained something he didn't know about or chose to ignore.
She's just jealous because MSNBC will never have the ratings Fox does and it's because of shows like hers. If they didn't have Fox and Conservatives to bash, at least 5 of their shows would be dead silence.

She's right about one thing. Fox and MSNBC are not mirror images of each other. Fox spends little time bashing MSNBC compared to MSNBC bashing Fox.
Fox spends time actually discussing things that are going on. MSNBC spends their time discussing Fox discussing things.

Reactions: mpg
Back
Top Bottom