• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rachel Maddow is a moron.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Last night she had a fife and drum 2-person band on that aren't playing together at tea parties anymore supposedly because they disagree over a local election (they both support conservatives). She tried SOOOOOO hard to make their little break-up (which didn't seem like a break-up since they were laughing together and played together at the end of her show) somehow connected to tea parties as a whole breaking up. Too bad they didn't give her what she was itching to hear.

So, Rachel has a story that doesn't meet your approval and now shes a moron in your eyes? Two bits says you held that view of her before you saw the piece.
I saw the piece and it was a good story and definitely not a gotcha story, it was a human interest story. I loved it when she asked them to play their drum and fife.

So, Rachel has a story that doesn't meet your approval and now shes a moron in your eyes? Two bits says you held that view of her before you saw the piece.
I saw the piece and it was a good story and definitely not a gotcha story, it was a human interest story. I loved it when she asked them to play their drum and fife.

Yes, I had that opinion of her before that because I've watched her show and listened to her before last night.

And I also loved it when they played. I love that kind of music.

Rachel also offered to pay for their beer.

Last night she had a fife and drum 2-person band on that aren't playing together at tea parties anymore supposedly because they disagree over a local election (they both support conservatives). She tried SOOOOOO hard to make their little break-up (which didn't seem like a break-up since they were laughing together and played together at the end of her show) somehow connected to tea parties as a whole breaking up. Too bad they didn't give her what she was itching to hear.

I'm sure it was almost as good as when Beck had that interview with Eric Massa. I'm sure you called him a moron afterwards, huh?

She's a moron alright!

Rachel also offered to pay for their beer.

Yes, that was nice. That doesn't change the fact that she had them on to try to show how the tea party is breaking up. It was a stupid premise and she's still a moron.

I am not a big fan of hers, but she is certainly smarter, better presented and better spoken than any of the commentators on FOX. Compared to a moron like Beck, she is pure Mensa caliber intellect, and a moderate. Of course, Beck makes almost every one look moderate in comparison, and intelligent.

I'm sure it was almost as good as when Beck had that interview with Eric Massa. I'm sure you called him a moron afterwards, huh?

I was screaming at him to stop the interview. The difference between the two is that Beck admitted that the show was a waste of time and apologized. Rachel Maddow probably thinks she did something "totally awesome". :)

Well, actually, I think Maddow IS a moron. Maybe not to the scale of a Beck or Hannity but a moron none-the-less. That's a shame too. Her facts, research and exposes are pretty much indisputable, (unlike her counter-parts,) yet she insists on acting like a moron when presenting them. I can't stand watching her. But that's just me.

Well, actually, I think Maddow IS a moron. Maybe not to the scale of a Beck or Hannity but a moron none-the-less. That's a shame too. Her facts, research and exposes are pretty much indisputable, (unlike her counter-parts,) yet she insists on acting like a moron when presenting them. I can't stand watching her. But that's just me.

I can agree with that. Her intellect seems to be wasted on such crappy material. But I guess that's what is called "reporting" today.

I can agree with that. Her intellect seems to be wasted on such crappy material. But I guess that's what is called "reporting" today.

I fear the days of journalistic dignity are long behind us. If Maddow could conduct herself in a mature manner foregoing on the mockery, smart-ass'ness, she would be the wingnut's worst nightmare. As I, as well as others here, have mentioned, her facts are usually dead-nut's on. But her presentation takes that all away. What a moron.

She mocks and and tries makes asses out of the very people that NEED to hear the truth. All they hear is contempt. I can't blame them for not listening to what she has to say.

Last edited:

Mellie, what part of the video are you talking about where she was itching to try to get them to say that this is a bigger picture thing where the whole tea party is breaking up? I didn't get that vibe at all. She only asked one question about it and didn't ask any follow ups on it at that. She didn't even talk about the tea party breaking up. She was asking about the conservative movement in general and if there are arguments between the sides that demand conservative "purity" (as she put it, which admittedly is a rather lousy and loaded word in my opinion) and the side that is willing to give and take.

In my opinion, your assessment couldn't be further from the truth. You're either making up alot of stuff in your head about the interview and it's clouding up what really happened or you watched that segment and let your preconceived notions win the battle.

Exactly what question and exactly what parts of that video do you think shows just how much of a moron Maddow is?

Why do you think she had those two guys on her show, rough?

Mellie, what part of the video are you talking about where she was itching to try to get them to say that this is a bigger picture thing where the whole tea party is breaking up? I didn't get that vibe at all. She only asked one question about it and didn't ask any follow ups on it at that. She didn't even talk about the tea party breaking up. She was asking about the conservative movement in general and if there are arguments between the sides that demand conservative "purity" (as she put it, which admittedly is a rather lousy and loaded word in my opinion) and the side that is willing to give and take.

In my opinion, your assessment couldn't be further from the truth. You're either making up alot of stuff in your head about the interview and it's clouding up what really happened or you watched that segment and let your preconceived notions win the battle.

Exactly what question and exactly what parts of that video do you think shows just how much of a moron Maddow is?

better get your lantern and sleeping bag.

Why do you think she had those two guys on her show, rough?

I asked a question. What part of it specifically do you find so offensive and off putting that it makes her a moron? Where was she itching to bash the tea party?

I'll gladly answer yours when i get an answer.

rough, you seem to think she had them on her show simply because she wanted them to play together again and put aside their differences. Is this what you think?

I'd put her above Hannity (who I think is an idiot), don't know about Beck (never listened to him) - but well below some of the other conservative talking heads. The problem isn't with the "facts and research" - but what insights she tries to draw from them.

I get the impression she tries to do her own version of John Stewart in how she presents - amusing with Stewart, annoying with Maddow.

Ok, bold the areas in her transcript that show that that was her intent. How about that. I've already told you that I'll gladly anwer your question after you answer mine, even if I don't like your answer or agree with it.

MADDOW: Last night, we talked about the peculiar phenomenon of 18th century syndrome, whereby the tea party-affiliated facets of the moderate conservative movement have been trying to make the aesthetics of the revolutionary war their very own.
It‘s not just the double-breasted pants, the tricorne hats that are so in fashion at tea party events, or tea partiers pushing this year‘s conservative conspiracy theories on the poor, beleaguered, have-to-stay-in-character, historic re-enactors at places like colonial Williamsburg.
It‘s not just every other new conservative thing now being printed on fake parchment, so people might think it‘s time-tested. You guys, just because you named your thing after Thomas Payne or George Washington doesn‘t mean that actual historic feature approves of you. Step off. They‘re everybody‘s, not just yours.
Still, the tea party‘s 18th century affect, at times, is very literal right down to the fife and drum players, showing up in period costume at tea party events. You know, fife, right. And drum, right? Fife and drum. There‘s one fife and drum duo in Colorado that has been playing at tea party events for the last year and a half, until now.
Like Sonny and Cher, like Ike and Tina, like Lyle(ph) and Gallagher, like so many duos before them, the Liberty Leaders Fife and Drum duo have split up. They will be here live to discuss the tea party-related reasons for their breakup as well as their musical future. That‘s next. Seriously, I‘m so excited.
(COMMERCIAL BREAK)
MADDOW: The Liberty Leaders are a fife-and-drum duo. For 16 months, they attended and performed at tea party events in 9/12 rallies in the great state of Colorado. Organizers said their music gave the events a certain feeling of historical resonance. Of course, during the real revolutionary war, both British and American armies had fife-and-drum players in their infantry regiments.
But now, however, the “Fort Collins Coloradoan” reports that the Liberty Leaders have split. There‘s only two of them, fife and drum, but they are fifing and drumming together no longer. They‘ve gone their separate ways because of politics.
Joining us now are the two members of the duo, formally known as the Liberty Leaders, John Weins who is the fife player, and Mel Hilgenberg, who plays the field snare. Gentleman, thank you so much for being here tonight. Really appreciate your time.
MEL HILGENBERG, FIELD SNARE DRUMMER, LIBERTY LEADERS: Thank you for having us.
JOHN WEINS, FIFE PLAYER, LIBERTY LEADERS: Thank you.
MADDOW: Mr. Weans, let me start with you. How did you two meet up and end up playing together?
WEINS: Starting with me?
MADDOW: Yes, please.
HILGENBERG: Yes.
WEINS: We were both working on Rand Paul‘s 2008 presidential campaign, and that‘s how we met. I was fifing in a number of parades and other fundraising events of that nature. Then, I learned - somewhere along the line, I learned that Mel was also a drummer, so we began playing some other things at that time.
MADDOW: And Mel, Mr. Hilgenberg - what used to happen when you, guys, would show up at political events and rallies and you‘d start playing a fife and a drum - fife and drum, what sort of effect would it have on people there?
HILGENBERG: Well, it really had a good effect. We‘ve had an excellent tea party and 9/12 group here in northern Colorado. And it was really very motivational, going both ways because people got pretty pumped up. And I speak for myself and I think John would agree that it‘s a reciprocal kind of motivation.
MADDOW: Let me - Mr. Hilgenberg, let me stick with you for a second. I know a little bit about the story about why you, guys, decided to break up as a duo. I think it has something to do with the shirt that John is wearing there, the Carl Bruning, your constitutional sheriff candidate shirt there. Is that behind why you guys decided to break up?
HILGENBERG: Yes, that was the major thing. I‘m backing a guy named Justin Smith, and I‘m also pushing for clear the bench, sweep the boards, dump the dams, (UNINTELLIGIBLE) the bureaucracy, Republican renaissance and tea for 2010.
MADDOW: Now, Mr. Weins, you‘re supporting, obviously, the candidate whose name is there on your shirt for sheriff. Why did that become an important issue between you two?
WEINS: Well, Carl Bruning is a constitutional candidate for sheriff.
He is - of course, the constitution is his main platform, liberty, standing
up for citizens‘ rights. And the other candidate is -
MADDOW: I‘m sorry, go ahead, sir. I didn‘t mean to interrupt. I was going to say - this is the way it goes with a satellite delay. I‘ll just bully you and get in there and say - I‘m sorry for interrupting.
Not so much in terms of why specifically you‘re supporting that individual candidate, but I‘m wondering, if you guys were working together so closely for 16 months for a long time, why is this so divisive between you?
Can‘t you guys sort of live and let live and each support a different candidate? Both candidates are on the conservative side of the spectrum, aren‘t they?
HILGENBERG: Yes.
WEINS: Well, well in - on the last parade, both candidates had their own - their own contingency, and so I was with one group and Mel was with the other group, so never the twain shall meet, I guess.
MADDOW: Now, Mel, your response to that is, yes, this shouldn‘t be that big an issue between you. Do you think that - does this have a broader political resonance for you? Do you think this is the sort of issue that shouldn‘t split up friends, fellow conservatives? And John, do you think that this is irreconcilable? Is that - Mel, am I right in sussing that out?
HILGENBERG: Well, I don‘t think it‘s irreconcilable. And no, I don‘t believe that politics, if it‘s between a couple of two different sexes or between a partnership like John and I have had, that that should be the deciding factor on it.
MADDOW: The reason that I wanted to talk to you guys tonight is, A, because I think fife and drum bands are really cool.
And B, because I just wonder if there is a bigger story to tell here about - I guess, about whether or not the tea party politics and the sort of idea that there are irreconcilable differences is a microcosm. Whether what‘s going on between you two guys is what‘s going on in the movement in general. Whether or not you can be flexible or whether or not this is a real time to demand purity.
HILGENBERG: Well, actually, it‘s not, because recently, we‘ve had an issue with both of our Republican candidates for governor. And the tea party 9/12 groups have shown a great amount of maturity and a great amount of growth.
There were a lot of people initially involved that hadn‘t been involved politically before, and they are signing in and saying, “Look, we‘ve got to get behind Republican candidates across the board from sheriff down to United States Senate, because to do otherwise really puts our freedom/liberty in this state and in this country in jeopardy.”
MADDOW: John, do you disagree with that strategy?
WEINS: Oh, I guess, yes and no. Well, liberty is very important. And I know, at least in the sheriff‘s race, that the other candidate running is representing the current regime, sheriff‘s regime. And there are certain things that need to be looked at and probably cleaned up.
And you know, that can‘t happen if you just continue on the same
path. You need somebody new like Carl Bruning to kind of clean things up
and get things back on track. So -
MADDOW: All right, well -
WEINS: So what I mean -
MADDOW: Go ahead, sir.
WEINS: Well, both, yes, both candidates are Republican, but there‘s
an awful lot of differences. So -
MADDOW: All right. Well, John Weins and Mel Hilgenberg, between you, sort of acting out the compromise is OK versus compromise is not OK fights happening within the conservative movement right now. They happen on the left as well.
We don‘t get to see a lot of each other across the partisan divide, but it‘s been a real pleasure for me to have you guys here on the show to talk about what‘s happened between you.
If you guys end up going out for a beer tonight because you like each other now that you‘ve seen each other again, if you send me the bill, I will happily pay for a reconciliation round between you. Is that OK?
WEINS: Oh, thank you.
HILGENBERG: That‘s great. Thank you very much.
MADDOW: All right. I absolutely will. John Weins and Mel Hilgenberg of the Liberty Leaders, thank you very much.
All right, I understand that - coming up on “COUNTDOWN,” Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle will explain. Keith has the tape of her explaining that she wants a press that asks the questions that she wants to answer. Wow.
Coming up on this show, Republicans in the Senate take a brave, brave stand against their own policies. Again, this is getting a little bit weird. Before we go, I‘m just wondering, hey, John and Mel, do you guys mind playing us out a little bit before we go to the commercial break here?
WEINS: Oh, yes.
MADDOW: Oh, I got them back together.
(MUSIC)
All right. Two beers. Two beers. I‘ll go for two rounds now.
Thanks, you guys, so much. We‘ll be right back.

Do I really need to post video of her making fun of the tea parties constantly? WHY would she have these tea party members on her show?

Ok, bold the areas in her transcript that show that that was her intent. How about that. I've already told you that I'll gladly anwer your question after you answer mine, even if I don't like your answer or agree with it.

that bitch maddow. what was she thinking?

Do I really need to post video of her making fun of the tea parties constantly? WHY would she have these tea party members on her show?

Why are you avoiding posting the exact comments that so offended you?

Need you ask? Those schtinkin' facts! Always getting in the way. LOL!

Noones arguing that she doesn't make fun of the tea partiers.

I'm arguing that this one clip, the one that YOU started the thread about, there was no bashing of the tea party and it had very little to do with the tea party breaking up like you said,because the only question that she asked even remotely close to what you're saying is "The reason that I wanted to talk to you guys tonight is, A, because I think fife and drum bands are really cool. And B, because I just wonder if there is a bigger story to tell here about - I guess, about whether or not the tea party politics and the sort of idea that there are irreconcilable differences is a microcosm. Whether what‘s going on between you two guys is what‘s going on in the movement in general. Whether or not you can be flexible or whether or not this is a real time to demand purity. "

I hear conservative pundits all the time talk about how the conservative movement was lost because of being flexible and becoming centrist. But Rachel Maddow mentions it and she's a moron. I want to know what part makes you think she's a moron.

Do you think she treated these guys unfairly? She couldn't have been nicer, lol. She was as polite as you can get, let them tell their story, and asked one pertinant question about the tea party and she's a moron.

You should start asking yourself why you find yourself unable to answer a very simple question. Dont change the subject to other times when she made tea baggin jokes and stuff. Talk about the subject of this thread that you started. What is in the clip that makes you think she is a moron.

Don't expect any responses from me if you don't give some kind of an answer and choose to just ask more questions.

Back
Top Bottom