• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rachel Jeante

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What the hell was going on with this girl today? I was in and out most of the day, and unfortunately was unable to watch this part of the trial (a part which I'd been waiting for). The few snippets I saw, she seemed completely unreliable. She was flippant and ugly while she was being questioned, and I swear she looked like she was stoned. Trayvon Martin's father just kept shaking his head during her testimony.

For those who watched all, or at least the majority of her testimony, did she help or hurt the prosecution. I know she was their star witness. It looked damaging to me, to the prosecution.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn't want to go through a 62 page thread.

What the hell was going on with this girl today? I was in and out most of the day, and unfortunately was unable to watch this part of the trial (a part which I'd been waiting for). The few snippets I saw, she seemed completely unreliable. She was flippant and ugly while she was being questioned, and I swear she looked like she was stoned. Trayvon Martin's father just kept shaking his head during her testimony.

For those who watched all, or at least the majority of her testimony, did she help or hurt the prosecution. I know she was their star witness. It looked damaging to me, to the prosecution.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn't want to go through a 62 page thread.

There is discussion in the day three thread. he testimony is linked to there too. You should watch it. It's really "interesting".

In theory, you'll get more opportunity to see her tomorrow. She was......special.

Based on what I saw and heard today I don't believe that she did the State any favors at all. As far as her demeanor goes I would use the word "adolescent" more than anything else.

I'm not watching this trial but did remember that she lied back in March about being hospitalized. And here are some of her tweets: Teenage Star Witness Against George Zimmerman Has Tweeted About Case, Getting High, And Her "Court Nails" | The Smoking Gun

I can't understand why people are saying her testimony was "damning" to GZ. I think the exact opposite. She seemed to not really care at all. She just wanted to get out of there. That's not a person who really believes some big mean guy wanted to murder her good friend.

I can't understand why people are saying her testimony was "damning" to GZ. I think the exact opposite. She seemed to not really care at all. She just wanted to get out of there. That's not a person who really believes some big mean guy wanted to murder her good friend.

That is a very famine view of it.
Not once would I think that matters.
I wonder if the all female jury will pick that up too?

I thought she was authentic and honest.. and got a bit defiant when West asked her the same questions 5 different ways.. She helped the prosecution.

I believed her. :shrug:

She's a teenager who didn't want to be there, never wanted to be involved, didn't put on airs or come across as coached, quoted TM as using foul/racist language, so clearly wasn't trying to make her friend look good to the white women on the jury, didn't hesitate to choose her words, just let whatever she was thinking spill out no matter who it helped/hurt, and had an almost savant-like ability to correct dates and times from 2 years ago, knowing exactly what she was doing on XX day, and that it was a Monday, etc. She was also clearly trying not to be emotional when describing the last few minutes of that final phone call, so she wasn't playing to the jury.

She was being herself, a moody kid being forced to do something she did not want to do. She didn't like having her words semantically dissected, wasn't afraid to speak up when she felt she was being misquoted, admitted she lied about why she didn't go to TM's wake because she didn't want to see the body of her friend, admitted she lied about her age because she didn't want her name to be used publicly. She had no ax to grind other than she simply didn't want to be there and wanted out as soon as possible.

I feel sorry for her, because her life has changed forever. People will point and stare, she'll see herself being called names on tv, everything she had never wanted to happen will indeed happen.

That's what I got out of her testimony, and yes, I saw most of it.

I'm pretty sure she admitted to being coached by the previous attorney when she said "... but you know it's not" in that deposition.

I believed her. :shrug:

She's a teenager who didn't want to be there, never wanted to be involved, didn't put on airs or come across as coached, quoted TM as using foul/racist language, so clearly wasn't trying to make her friend look good to the white women on the jury, didn't hesitate to choose her words, just let whatever she was thinking spill out no matter who it helped/hurt, and had an almost savant-like ability to correct dates and times from 2 years ago, knowing exactly what she was doing on XX day, and that it was a Monday, etc. She was also clearly trying not to be emotional when describing the last few minutes of that final phone call, so she wasn't playing to the jury.

She was being herself, a moody kid being forced to do something she did not want to do. She didn't like having her words semantically dissected, wasn't afraid to speak up when she felt she was being misquoted, admitted she lied about why she didn't go to TM's wake because she didn't want to see the body of her friend, admitted she lied about her age because she didn't want her name to be used publicly. She had no ax to grind other than she simply didn't want to be there and wanted out as soon as possible.

I feel sorry for her, because her life has changed forever. People will point and stare, she'll see herself being called names on tv, everything she had never wanted to happen will indeed happen.

That's what I got out of her testimony, and yes, I saw most of it.

While I agree with most of that I also suspect that there is something else she has not yet disclosed.

During the cross it came out that Martin had taken a shortcut back from the store yet the timeline seems to indicate that the trip took substantially longer than it should have. Rachel also was evasive when that point was brought up but something changed in the line of questioning and O'Mara never got back to it. I'm guessing that this young lady is being evasive for more reasons than simple adolescence.

While I agree with most of that I also suspect that there is something else she has not yet disclosed.

During the cross it came out that Martin had taken a shortcut back from the store yet the timeline seems to indicate that the trip took substantially longer than it should have. Rachel also was evasive when that point was brought up but something changed in the line of questioning and O'Mara never got back to it. I'm guessing that this young lady is being evasive for more reasons than simple adolescence.

The rain picked up and Trayvon waited it out under the mail kiosk, in the light and talking on the phone. Nothing sinister about that.

Where you saw evasive, I saw confused. Rachel had never been to that neighborhood, had never seen the "mailing area", had never seen the market and all she could do was say what TM told her, that he was caught by the rain and took a shortcut. She didn't know what the shortcut was, because she had no knowledge whatsoever of the neighborhood where TM was visiting his father.

As to the length of time it takes to walk a mile in the rain while talking on the phone, I personally have no idea. It would sure as hell take my husband more than 30 minutes to walk a mile. I do know that Rachel was in no position to know what TM was doing as he spoke with her other than what he told her, and she certainly could not answer any questions about why it took TM "so long" to walk a mile. It was, quite frankly, a stupid question to ask her in the first place.

Where you saw evasive, I saw confused. Rachel had never been to that neighborhood, had never seen the "mailing area", had never seen the market and all she could do was say what TM told her, that he was caught by the rain and took a shortcut. She didn't know what the shortcut was, because she had no knowledge whatsoever of the neighborhood where TM was visiting his father.

As to the length of time it takes to walk a mile in the rain while talking on the phone, I personally have no idea. It would sure as hell take my husband more than 30 minutes to walk a mile. I do know that Rachel was in no position to know what TM was doing as he spoke with her other than what he told her, and she certainly could not answer any questions about why it took TM "so long" to walk a mile. It was, quite frankly, a stupid question to ask her in the first place.

The mail Kiosk is next to the clubhouse... and lighted.. Burglars don't stand in the light yapping on the phone.

Average walking speed on relatively flat, unobstructed terrain is about 3 mph which would be 20 min to the mile. Since it was raining it's reasonable to assume that Martin was making better time than that....if all he was doing was trying to get out of the rain and back home.

The mail Kiosk is next to the clubhouse... and lighted.. Burglars don't stand in the light yapping on the phone.

That's true but, from time to time, one might find a teenager stopping off in such a location to smoke a quick joint.

Average walking speed on relatively flat, unobstructed terrain is about 3 mph which would be 20 min to the mile. Since it was raining it's reasonable to assume that Martin was making better time than that....if all he was doing was trying to get out of the rain and back home.

What is the evidence that he was doing something other than trying to get out of the rain and go home?

He made it to the mail kiosk in about 24 minutes.. until the rain picked up.....

That's true but, from time to time, one might find a teenager stopping off in such a location to smoke a quick joint.

Pure speculation.. Do you have tox evidence that he had recently smoked pot?

:doh:doh Rachael's lies, attitude, rolling eyes, hair pulling and the rest ain't going to fly with those 5 mothers on the Jury particularly as she is not a kid but 19 1/2 years old going into 12th grade. Six months from being 20. :doh

Last edited:

Most of you misjudge her based on her speech and behavior.

From my perspective, Ms Jeantel appears to have some form of macroglossia, i.e. an unusually large tongue, possibly congenital, that caused her to have speech impediment. That's why most people would find her speech slurred and hard to understand. Most people would also have the impression that she is flippant, frustrated and slow up stair. People also want to make fun of her being too old for high school. But, when you have speech impediment and slow to express your thought and idea in a society that expect you to catch up like everybody else, unlike regular non-impaired kids who have no problem, it isn't her fault really.

That's why she tends to get frustrated with with long circular defense questions designed to ensnare her. And that's why she tends to avoid emotional situation where she was expected to tell her long story that she knows she couldn't handle in one long breath.

People like her are usually very direct, straightforward and simple in their thought and expression.

:doh:doh Rachael's lies, attitude, rolling eyes, hair pulling and the rest ain't going to fly with those 5 mothers on the Jury particularly as she is not a kid but 19 1/2 years old going into 12th grade. Six months from being 20. :doh

I think the jurors would see her very differently than you do.. She was feisty... and women admire those who aren't doormats.

Most of you misjudge her based on her speech and behavior.

From my perspective, Ms Jeantel appears to have some form of macroglossia, i.e. an unusually large tongue, possibly congenital, that caused her to have speech impediment. That's why most people would find her speech slurred and hard to understand. Most people would also have the impression that she is flippant, frustrated and slow up stair. People also want to make fun of her being too old for high school. But, when you have speech impediment and slow to express your thought and idea in a society that expect you to catch up like everybody else, unlike regular non-impaired kids who have no problem, it isn't her fault really.

That's why she tends to get frustrated with with long circular defense questions designed to ensnare her. And that's why she tends to avoid emotional situation where she was expected to tell her long story that she knows she couldn't handle in one long breath.

People like her are usually very direct, straightforward and simple in their thought and expression.

Does she have a goiter or some thyroid issue? Her neck was very strange.

I think the jurors would see her very differently than you do.. She was feisty... and women admire those who aren't doormats.

Being a disrespectful liar is bad... but since she was feisty, that makes it ok.

lol

Back
Top Bottom