• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Race

Boo Radley

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I'm often taken aback how snarky conservative whites get at the mention of race issues. That said, I thought the daily show demonstrated how disconnected blacks and whites are in the view of race and this country:

On Tuesday's "Daily Show," correspondents Samantha Bee and Jessica Williams set out upon a noble mission: To take part in the national conversation on race by talking to groups of black people and white people about their impressions on race.

But when Bee (who is white) is placed in a black focus group, and Williams (who is black) interviews a white group, we see pretty quickly that such a dynamic offers up some pretty startling revelations on how we feel about race behind closed doors.

Check out the clip above to watch "The Daily Show" skewer the idea that racism can be solved by simple conversation.

'Daily Show' Proves That Race Is, Indeed, Still A Tricky Subject (VIDEO)

Pretty funny if you have a victimization complex I suppose.

Why don't we assign race based on intelligence rather than supeficial appearance?

Wow, what a world that would be!

"You're discriminating against me for my race!"

"Yes, but that's because you're an idiot. Look it says so on your official ID Card. Here let me read it for you."

We could "desegregate" schools by forced busing. Bright Kids would be driven to schools. Idiot kids would be driven in circles for six hours.

We could enact Jim Cuckoo Laws!

Last edited:
Oh look, a comedy show made a 4min long video on a very complex issue and did it with a funny note. Lets take it as definitive proof.

I am curious Rainman05, if you think the piece had any validity at all?
Personally I don't think the piece was trying to say that there definitively IS or there definitively isn't a race problem in America, it was just trying to highlight that there is a huge difference in how people perceive the state of race relations in America.

Stop and Frisk seems to be a legitimate complaint.

Oh look, a comedy show made a 4min long video on a very complex issue and did it with a funny note. Lets take it as definitive proof.

I don't think he is making the claim that it is definitive proof but just that it illustrates the point well. Calm down.

I am curious Rainman05, if you think the piece had any validity at all?
Personally I don't think the piece was trying to say that there definitively IS or there definitively isn't a race problem in America, it was just trying to highlight that there is a huge difference in how people perceive the state of race relations in America.

Really? I thought it was supposed to evoke laughter in people with a particular world view. It was my understanding that taking a comedy show seriously is the greatest crime against nature.

Moot said:
Stop and Frisk seems to be a legitimate complaint.

Indeed, though that's more an issue with electing fascists than anything else. Maybe New York should apply some consideration to "freedumb" before voting for some forward thinking individual.

Really? I thought it was supposed to evoke laughter in people with a particular world view. It was my understanding that taking a comedy show seriously is the greatest crime against nature.

That is one of the things I don't agree with Stewart about. I think he is being a little disingenuous when he says TDS is "just a comedy show". With that said, I think it IS pretty obvious that there is a sizable disconnect when it comes to race relations in this country. Then again it has always been that way in every country.

Mind you, I don't think the black panel had it 100% right either.

That is one of the things I don't agree with Stewart about. I think he is being a little disingenuous when he says TDS is "just a comedy show". With that said, I think it IS pretty obvious that there is a sizable disconnect when it comes to race relations in this country. Then again it has always been that way in every country.

Mind you, I don't think the black panel had it 100% right either.

Well, the problem is that, because it's a comedy show, with a clear intention to set up comedic situations, we don't know how legitimate the focus groups even are. They could be actors following scripts, they could be selected to portray that particular idea, etc. That would not be dishonest, it's just what the show is.

Well, the problem is that, because it's a comedy show, with a clear intention to set up comedic situations, we don't know how legitimate the focus groups even are. They could be actors following scripts, they could be selected to portray that particular idea, etc. That would not be dishonest, it's just what the show is.

While I am disinclined to believe that TDS selective casts the panels, I know that they selectively edit the pieces. Either way you make a fair point.

Actually Satire since the beginning has been one sure method of getting messages about inequality and social injustice pass people defenses and drive the message home.

Here there is no difference.

Diving Mullah

its pretty simple

racism exists, its quit evident in many aspects and places in america
discrimination exists, its quit evident in many aspects and places in america

is it rampant like in the past? no
is it improving? yes
are there plenty of whites who are not racists? yes
are there minorities that are racists? yes

do any of those make the first two not true? no :shrug:

its pretty simple

racism exists, its quit evident in many aspects and places in america
discrimination exists, its quit evident in many aspects and places in america

is it rampant like in the past? no
is it improving? yes
are there plenty of whites who are not racists? yes
are there minorities that are racists? yes

do any of those make the first two not true? no :shrug:

more minorities are racist then whites even blacks say so

Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way.
More Americans View Blacks As Racist Than Whites, Hispanics - Rasmussen Reports™

3 things

1.) people are free to have any OPINION they want
2.) your link doesn't support your statement at all (more minorities are racist then whites even blacks say so)
3.) most importantly your opinions dont change or impact my post one bit, not sure what your point is

lastly just something to think about, if 20% of whites are racists and 100% of blacks are racists white racist would still outnumber black racists :shrug:

I agree. But you above the comments that always cause me some pause.

They certainly helped to solidfy the point the video was making, don't they?

Back
Top Bottom