• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Race vs Culture

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Are the two able to be separated? Does white culture = white race? Or can one be white and not be a part of white culture? Can this be applied to all races? Or just some, or one? And how does this apply to how a race and/or culture acts/is?

A few meme examples for that last part: "Whites are racist." "Blacks are violent." "Jews are greedy."

Can a race/culture be talked about without being a racist/bigot even if when talking about an aspect of that race/culture negatively.

They absolutely can be separated.

Though there is certainly more than just one white culture and one black culture. Geography and religion plays important parts as well.

There is no white culture. There is no black culture. There really isn't a black or white race, but that's something entirely different. You can't find any culture that every white person embraces or that every black person embraces. It's just imaginary, imposed by political ideology, not by reality.

Are the two able to be separated? Does white culture = white race? Or can one be white and not be a part of white culture? Can this be applied to all races? Or just some, or one? And how does this apply to how a race and/or culture acts/is?

A few meme examples for that last part: "Whites are racist." "Blacks are violent." "Jews are greedy."

Can a race/culture be talked about without being a racist/bigot even if when talking about an aspect of that race/culture negatively.

Sure.

Being born a certain color doesn't make you automatically part of a culture usually associated with that race. The most obvious example would be people who are adopted by parents of a different race to themselves. In my experience, they're more likely to adopt their parents' culture, whether it's connected to race or not, than the culture more often associated with their race.

In every "generally-this-race" culture, there are also exceptions to the rule. A minority of people in that culture might be of some other race, but are in it because of that's their home.

Ultimately, these cultures are more about proximity and social functioning than explicitly about race. But, the fact is, there are a lot of places where neighborhoods are still very segregated by race, so there are cultures associated with that race because they are the vast majority in that culture.

It's easy to talk about the cultures that tend to go by race without being racist. Rather than ascribing assumptions of personality traits to them, you can talk about what they objectively do share. Some black cultures are defined by their food, or their music, or whatever. Not all of them are violent.

You can also talk about their socio-economics, which is where things start getting political. But ultimately, this defines most "generally-this-race" cultures more than anything else. There's a reason they stick together. It's because they're in the same situation, whatever that might be. And we still struggle with racial equality on a day-to-day level, so it's no surprise people who are in the same situation tends to have a racial lean.

Stereotypes often have a certain amount of truth at their core, as relates to broad generalizations, but individuals and real life tend to get more complex than can be thus explained.

As BrewerBob said, there is more than just one white culture, or one black culture. There are cultural distinctions between countrified and citified whites and blacks, between upper-middle-class professionals and blue collar workers, between academics and the general populace... and the generational uber-rich are a class unto themselves to some degree.

I've found that I get along well with and have much in common with most country-fied and/or working-class black folks. One of my good work-buddies referred to himself as a "black redneck" and he was... a hunting and fishing and beer-drinking "good ol' boy" who was more at home in the woods than the "hood".

I've been in the home of an upper class black family (Mr was a surgeon and Mrs was a college professor), and they were as politely genteel and aristocratic as any old-money Southern blue-blood with plantations in their family tree, and would have fit in with the country club crowd better than I could on my best day.

South vs North, East vs West, also cultural differences that transcend race to some degree.

Yet it isn't all about economic class or education or upbringing or environment. There are things specific to each race (or ethnic group, the two terms are often hard to entirely separate) which we DON'T share. My ancestors don't have a history of being enslaved within recent centuries, or treated as second class citizens until recent generations. Many blacks may not feel as connected to the founding of the country as their ancestors mostly didn't come here willingly. Etc.

Even so, when it comes to first impressions, most of us are more readily attracted to those who look like us than those who look different, at least when that is all we know about someone.

Nope. The two can easily be separated in the sense that a child of one race brought up by parents of a different race are not distinguishable from the original, as they have become the original.

Nope. The two can easily be separated in the sense that a child of one race brought up by parents of a different race are not distinguishable from the original, as they have become the original.

Until that child enters society.

Absolutely...as long as it's presented courteously as constructive criticism. Unfortunately, there's a lot of people out there who don't know the difference between giving constructive criticism and making race-baiting or racist dog-whistle statements instead.

I don't really understand the division. Race is baited terminology from the colonial area. There are no races, there's just one race: the human race. If we want to talk about different ethnographic qualities, then sure, but it's already clear that many different ethnicities inhabit the same cultures and "race" groups. I mean... all white people are supposed to be this cogent group, yet white skin colour takes place all over the world across different cultures.

Humanity is at a cross-roads where it's having to ditch these divisive mindsets due to the global infrastructure. There's always going to be people who categorize based on appearance because the human mind is categorical like that. You go to any part of the world that has multiple groups who look different, and there are tensions or stereotypes. But the specific brand of colonial racism that was invented by Europe in order to divide countries and mindsets, is something we're still recovering from. The U.S. is still deep in that workshop.

Our authorities and systems of governance still see white as one whole group of people, even though among "whites" there are different ethnicities, cultural values, traditions, countries of origin, etc. The social and government systems create the privilege based on old world values, that white = white. But it's just not accurate.

They can be, but they do play a role in defining each other. Race is a social construct that si crested form cultural, ethnic, linguistic, etc. characteristics and as a result race tends to play role in defining those things.

This whole thread is totally racist.

I'm sick of hearing about race. I treat people the way I want to be treated. Period. End of story. If everyone would just shut up about race, maybe things would get better?

Back
Top Bottom