• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Race for 2008

RightatNYU said:
Well, pardon me if I'm not swayed by your amazing learned wisdom that consists of listing the candidates with the top odds at Tradesports. It's stupid to claim that certain candidates are the only viable ones THREE YEARS before the election. When was the last election where neither party had an anointed son or an incumbent running?

I thought I had explained this before. Maybe on another forum. I have looked at all 535 members of Congress, 50 governors, and every other public official to arrive at a group of viable candidates. Then by a process of elimination it can be winnowed down to a smaller group and so forth. The betting odds simply confirm what I already know. I have followed politics since 1952 and know a thing or two about this subject. I GUARANTEE you that I have given the list of finalists.

Missouri Mule said:
I thought I had explained this before. Maybe on another forum. I have looked at all 535 members of Congress, 50 governors, and every other public official to arrive at a group of viable candidates. Then by a process of elimination it can be winnowed down to a smaller group and so forth. The betting odds simply confirm what I already know. I have followed politics since 1952 and know a thing or two about this subject. I GUARANTEE you that I have given the list of finalists.

Well, it's cute that you spent that much time compiling a completely arbitrary and useless list. I'm telling you right now, those are the frontrunners at the moment, but you'd be hardpressed to find a single person with credentials in politics who would be willing to make such a blinded leap as yourself.

Originally posted by Galenrox:
I a garantee that you suck cause you are sobier enouhg yi post right after new years without tremendous amounts of misspellings. You best go out drinking RIGHT NOW to make up for it! BUTT
Don't sugar coat it like that! Tell 'em what you really think.

RightatNYU said:
Well, it's cute that you spent that much time compiling a completely arbitrary and useless list. I'm telling you right now, those are the frontrunners at the moment, but you'd be hardpressed to find a single person with credentials in politics who would be willing to make such a blinded leap as yourself.

Not really. I was looking at "Meet the Press" today and the panelists had compiled a list of 10 in each party. Pretty much what I said.

This really isn't difficult. Trust me. All one needs to do is to apply a process of elimination. You do that when you buy a car don't you? You don't buy a Ford Excursion if you want fuel economy, do you? You look at the Toyota Prius, for example.

Go to the web site for U.S. Congress and U.S. governors. Go down the list and pick out the ones who have any chance for the nomination. You will find that the list is exceedingly small.

Furthermore, it is only 1,000 days until a new president takes office. If a person is not involved in the election process by now, in some way, then they are not a serious candidate. I'm on Russ Feingold's e-mail list and everything tells me he is serious. Joe Biden says he is running but it is highly unlikely he can bump off Hillary. Bill Richardson is not going to do it. Mark Warner is the one with the best chance to get the nomination over Hillary, although I see Feingold as the one who has been consistent down the line. He will be very popular among the Democratic activists.

McCain has a commanding lead on the Republican side. He is going to run unless there are health issues and is not trusted among conservative hard liners. That leaves Allen and Guiliani. Allen is acceptable to conservatives but Guilliani has "abortion" problems. Edit: Add Mitt Romney to the list. He is a serious and viable candidate. Keep your eye on him.

I still like the possibility of a McCain/Lieberman ticket. McCain can only run for one term with his age problem but Lieberman would still be young enough in 2012 to run having served as VP.

I'm going to sign up for the McCain e-mail newsletter and suggest this be seriously considered; if not already.

A Warner/Feingold or vice-versa would give four good candidates to select from and we could have a clearing of the air and establishment of facts for a change. None of these individuals have ethical problems. They are popular and all very articulate and attractive candidates.

If Hillary wins the nomination it will just be a campaign of personal attacks. That serves nobody's purposes.

Last edited:
galenrox said:
I a garantee that you suck cause you are sobier enouhg yi post right after new years without tremendous amounts of misspellings. You best go out drinking RIGHT NOW to make up for it! BUTT

This is why upstate NY sucks, you have to drive everywhere, so i had to get trashed early and then drive home later. gahhhh

Stace said:
I was checking out Politics1 (http://www.politics1.com/p2008.htm) earlier this evening, and noted the following as potential candidates for 2008's Presidential election.....

• Bill Frist
  • Newt Gingrich
  • Mike Huckabee
  • John McCain
  • Rudy Guiliani
  • Condi Rice
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton
  • John Edwards
  • John Kerry
  • Susan Sarandon
  • Michael Badnarik
  • Jesse Ventura

...among others, of course.

Even with 2008 a couple of years away yet, who's your early favorite?

If Jesse Ventura actually runs, and wins his party's nomination, I'd have to vote for him just on principal.....well, not really. But I do agree with a lot of his views concerning things like education, gun control, religion, etc.

But hey, that's just me.

McCain- No point of running because most Republican would not support him. I think he's fake Republican. Look at his Congressional voting record.

Guiliani- He is a Republican but too moderate.

Condi- I thought she said she wasn't running

George Allen is the only Republican I have been hearing about that has a serious chance. I'm pretty sure he is the Governor of Virginia but I may be wrong.

thapcballa said:
McCain- No point of running because most Republican would not support him. I think he's fake Republican. Look at his Congressional voting record.

George Allen is the only Republican I have been hearing about that has a serious chance. I'm pretty sure he is the Governor of Virginia but I may be wrong.

He can't be denied the nomination because "most Republicans" won't support him. All he needs to do is to win the nomination. Right now the betting odds are getting to be almost prohibitive.

But keep your eye on Romney. He's moving up on the outside.

thapcballa said:

He is a junior senator from VA. If Warner runs against him, he will probably lose this year.

thapcballa said:

There is no way Condi will run. She has no experience in an elected office. Maybe 2012.

Originally posted by Kelzie:
There is no way Condi will run. She has no experience in an elected office. Maybe 2012.
Oh, Condi will run. If she doesn't, the Republicans have nobody to go against Hillary. If she does, then she takes the black vote away from the future President.

Billo_Really said:
Oh, Condi will run. If she doesn't, the Republicans have nobody to go against Hillary. If she does, then she takes the black vote away from the future President.

Only question is........ would the blacks actually vote for her?

Caine said:

It isn't even a question. I'm telling you, the Republicans aren't dumb enough to run someone with no experience answering to voters.

George_Washington said:
I think the person that would really crush the competition would be Arnold Schwarzenegger. His charisma alone would guarantee him victory. But of course, we would have to revise our laws first.

Nope....
Arnold has some past issues that I don't think voters would like.

And you know they would be out there when the attack ads started.

Or even well before.

George_Washington said:
I think the person that would really crush the competition would be Arnold Schwarzenegger. His charisma alone would guarantee him victory. But of course, we would have to revise our laws first.

Nah. He's not doing that hot in California. I also doubt the GOP will pick a candidate who probably wouldn't even pick up his home state.

Kelzie said:
Nah. He's not doing that hot in California. I also doubt the GOP will pick a candidate who probably wouldn't even pick up his home state.

Bush didn't pick up his birth state........

If that counts any.

George_Washington said:

Imagine if democrats wanted to change the law in order to win the presidency. The fit would hit the shan! I can hear the screams of treason and jeapordizing national security.

Also, wouldn't it be nice to have a president that didn't murder the english language?

One thing that I don't think many people have thought about is how moderate the average GOP voter (not christian right, but the average rep) is becoming on certain social issues in recent years.

Look at some of the most popular candidates for 2008:

McCain - supports gay marriage, works with democrats well and often
Giuliani - supports gay marriage, pro-choice
Arnold - supports gay marriage, pro-choice

The odds are that the GOP candidate will support gay marriage. Did anyone ever think that that would happen, especially this soon?

Finally coming to our senses, thank god...

Caine said:

no.

She wouldn't break 20% of black voters, which considering the percentage of voters who are black doesn't really mean ****.

Originally posted by Kelzie:
How the f_ck would you know? You don't live in California. I do. So take my word for it, he's not doing that hot.

RightatNYU said:
no.

She wouldn't break 20% of black voters, which considering the percentage of voters who are black doesn't really mean ****.

Especially when Harry Belafonte's out there calling her a house slave.

Condoleezza Rice would be, by far, the best choice for President of the United States in 2008. She's an intellectual, financial, and governmental genius, and she's got integrity, character, and charisma.

Billo_Really said:

There is definitely an active grassroots movement to draft her as the Republican nominee, just like Eisenhower in 1952. She may not run until very late in the process, after she's won a couple of primaries, but she will be on most of the primary ballots, and she will be the nominee and the president-elect, whether or not she herself actively runs.

Kelzie said:

Neither did Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant, Herbert Hoover, William Howard Taft, or Dwight D. Eisenhower when they were elected President. And many of the best Presidents ever had severely little experience in elected office. Teddy Roosevelt had only been governor for a little over a year before he became VP (and President when McKinley died) -- his real experience came from being a Lt. Col. in the military. Abraham Lincoln had only served a largely-forgotten two year stint in the House of Representatives, more than ten years before being elected president -- his real experience came from his work as a utility lawyer and a speaker. Woodrow Wilson had been a governor for only a year before he became President -- his real executive knowhow came from his experience in being a school administrator at a university.

In fact, history favors Condi more than it does Hillary or even John McCain. Only two sitting senators have ever made it into the White House, while six Secretaries of State have gone on to become Chief Executives.

Last edited:
thapcballa said:

McCain is a RINO, and he's spent too much time courting the left wing. He could definitely beat a more polarizing Democratic candidate like Hillary Clinton, because he would be able to eat into the Democratic voting base, but he will not make it through the GOP primaries. Plus, there will be no senior citizen discounts for a candidate who will be 73 on election night 2008.

thapcballa said:

He's not just a moderate. He's a liberal -- and on some of the most heated issues, too (gay marriage, gun control, partial birth abortion, immigration, etc.)

thapcballa said:

She won't, but mark my word -- she will be the GOP nominee in 2008. Keep an eye on this Draft-Condi grassroots movement. They'll get her name on a bunch of the state primary ballots, and I bet you a bundle she'll win the nomination and the presidency in '08.

thapcballa said:

He does not have the charisma, name-recognition, respectability, and electability to become President. He's a great guy for sure, but he'll be another Bob Dole if the GOP tries to run him.

Missouri Mule said:
But keep your eye on Romney. He's moving up on the outside.

He's stated that he's seriously thinking of giving up politics because of his wife's health problems. He won't make it to the Oval Office.

Back
Top Bottom