• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Race for 2008

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was checking out Politics1 (http://www.politics1.com/p2008.htm) earlier this evening, and noted the following as potential candidates for 2008's Presidential election.....

• Bill Frist
  • Newt Gingrich
  • Mike Huckabee
  • John McCain
  • Rudy Guiliani
  • Condi Rice
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton
  • John Edwards
  • John Kerry
  • Susan Sarandon
  • Michael Badnarik
  • Jesse Ventura

...among others, of course.

Even with 2008 a couple of years away yet, who's your early favorite?

If Jesse Ventura actually runs, and wins his party's nomination, I'd have to vote for him just on principal.....well, not really. But I do agree with a lot of his views concerning things like education, gun control, religion, etc.

But hey, that's just me.

Bill Frist--loser
Newt Gingrich--loser
Mike Huckabee--??
John McCain--I like him, but I hate him for kissing Bush's a$$ after the horrible way Bush (well, Karl Rove) attacked McCain so that he would not win in South Carolina. McCain has no balls. Stand up for yourself for god's sake!
Rudy Guiliani--I like him.
Condi Rice--I hate her. She lies too much (i.e, mushroom cloud).
Hillary Rodham Clinton--I can't stand her (but dislike Condi more).
John Edwards--I wasn't impressed with him when he was running with Kerry.
John Kerry--I like him BUT he talks too much and I believe he has lost his momentum.
Susan Sarandon--I like her.
Michael Badnarik--I dont' know enough about him.
Jesse Ventura--I don't know enough about him.

Personally, I like Mark Warner (current governor of Virginia, who is planning to run for prez) and Russell Feingold (senator from Wisconsin).

Stace, why do you like Jesse?

Well....my normal criteria for a person to get my vote has...uh...been lowered over the past few years, as my dissapointment has grown in our current administration. That said.....Im still sticking with my #! requirement:

Whoever it is...must be smarter than me.

I like McCain, as he has the needed strength to deal with the mess left on the doorstep.

I could deal with Hillary, though I dont see eye to eye with some of her stances, most woulld do more good than harm.

The rest just seem more of the same except Jesse, but he has as much chance as I do of making a ticket.

aps said:
Stace, why do you like Jesse?

Well, I lived in Minnesota when he was elected governor, and though I didn't follow politics very closely at the time, I thought he did an excellent job, despite the misgivings of some. What a lot of people don't know is that winning the governorship wasn't his first foray into politics....he was also the mayor of Brooklyn Park, MN, in the early 90's.

Unfortunately, I've got to make a trip to the grocery store, so I'll have to post specific views when I get back.....

Alrighty, back from the grocery store....so here we go.

I'm using the only information I can find that goes even somewhat in depth as to Ventura's political views, which can be found at http://www.ontheissues.org/Jesse_Ventura.htm

It's a little outdated, so I sure hope he hasn't changed his mind on some of this stuff!!!

*He's pro-choice when it comes to abortion - He doesn't agree with it personally, but supports a woman's right to choose.

*He did a lot of good with tax reform in Minnesota - any extra money the state received went directly back to the residents of the state. I think he really could come up with a good plan to get our country out of debt.

*He's a big advocate for civil rights, though he doesn't support gay "marriage" - but civil unions are ok at least.

*He believes in improving our public schools so that they are more effective, rather than abandoning the idea of public schools, like it seems a lot of people want to do these days. He also thinks that disabled/special-ed kids should be mainstreamed, and I'm not sure I agree with that, but I don't enough about that particular issue.

*He's an advocate for environmental programs and believes those topics should be taught in schools.

* He has realistic views on gun control...people are going to own guns, but they need to be responsible about it and respect the weapon. (And that's where I go completely against what a typical Dem thinks....I think guns are ok if you know what you're doing...)

That's just a few examples....but though I tend to agree with the Dems, I am really starting to think that we need to get a third party official into office in order to get any positive changes implemented. If we keep rotating through the Dems and Republicans, they're either going to keep piggybacking off of the President before them, or spend their entire term trying to undo what the President before them did.

I think it will be George Allen against Hillary but I would love to see Jeb Bush get the nomination for the Republicans............Can you imagine how that would torque the jaws of the left if he got the nomination and was elected prez....

Eight more years of a Bush........:lol: Think of the hate......:roll:

Navy Pride said:
I think it will be George Allen against Hillary but I would love to see Jeb Bush get the nomination for the Republicans............Can you imagine how that would torque the jaws of the left if he got the nomination and was elected prez....

Eight more years of a Bush........:lol:

Jeb Bush currently has no plans to run, though. Nor does Cheney.

Stace said:
Jeb Bush currently has no plans to run, though. Nor does Cheney.

It wouldn't be the first time a politician has changed his mind....

Navy Pride said:
It wouldn't be the first time a politician has changed his mind....

Very true.....

But....

from www.politics1.com

His father George H.W. Bush was President ("Bush 41") from 1989-93, and his older brother George W. Bush has been President since 2001 ("Bush 43") ... so lots of Republicans like the idea of turning Florida Governor Jeb Bush into the "Bush 44" President. Bush, however, repeatedly says he is not running in 2008 and actively discourages any attempts to suggest he'll change his mind. Bush allows for the possibility he may run for President at some future date, but he strongly emphasizes that it won't be in 2008. "I'm not going to run for President in 2008. That's not my interest," said Bush in October 2004. In May 2005, Bush's father explained that Jeb wouldn't run in 2008 because "The timing's wrong ... he doesn't want to do it." Jeb apparently believes the nation isn't ready to elect two brothers to back-to-back terms in the Oval Office. Two possible reasons that seem to give credibility to Jeb's denials on 2008: (1) He'll only be 59-years-old for the 2012 election, and (2) many believe he'll be the VP nominee in 2008, paving the way for his future White House run.

Stace said:
Very true.....

But....

Yeah but can you imagine how Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, Peolsi, and Reid would handle another Bush presidency........They would go ballistic......

I personally think Jeb Bush is the smartest of the 3 Bushes........

Navy Pride said:
Yeah but can you imagine how Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, Peolsi, and Reid would hadle another Bush presidency........

I personally think Jeb Bush is the smartest of the 3 Bushes........

I don't know enough about Jeb to comment on him......

Follow the money. By that I mean the betting odds.

Republican side: McCain, Guilliani, Allen.

Democratic side: Hillary, Warner, Bayh.

The odds-on favorites are McCain and Hillary. At this point in time they are very heavy favorites.

I can see the possibility of a McCain/Liberman independent "unity" ticket. They are joined at the hip and there is no reason why one party candidate can't put another VP on the ticket from another party. You could conceivably have a McCain (Republican) and a Liberman (Democrat) on the same ticket.

The likely Democratic ticket would be Hillary and Bayh.

BTW, Ventura has zero chance of winning the nomination of either party and cannot and will not be elected president. None whatsoever.

Last edited:
Missouri Mule said:
Follow the money. By that I mean the betting odds.

Republican side: McCain, Guilliani, Allen.

Democratic side: Hillary, Warner, Bayh.

The odds-on favorites are McCain and Hillary. At this point in time they are very heavy favorites.

I can see the possibility of a McCain/Liberman independent "unity" ticket. They are joined at the hip and there is no reason why one party candidate can't put another VP on the ticket from another party. You could conceivably have a McCain (Republican) and a Liberman (Democrat) on the same ticket.

The likely Democratic ticket would be Hillary and Bayh.

BTW, Ventura has zero chance of winning the nomination of either party and cannot and will not be elected president. None whatsoever.

He wouldn't be running under the Democrat or Republican ticket. He's an Independent/write in candidate.

galenrox said:
Dude, I really can't say how much I doubt that Hillary will get the nomination. She has some rabid fans who happen to be very loud, but these people are in the VAST minority. Like, for example, last year when Kerry got the nomination, I knew a lot of people who supported him in the primaries. I don't know anyone, absolutely anyone who supports Hillary Clinton.

Me too, galenrox, and I am friends with lots of democrats. Yuck. I can't stand the woman.

Stace, thanks for answering my question regarding Jesse. I have always liked him on a personal level in that he seems very level-headed and does not talk like a politician. I appreciate the information.

galenrox said:
Dude, I really can't say how much I doubt that Hillary will get the nomination. She has some rabid fans who happen to be very loud, but these people are in the VAST minority. Like, for example, last year when Kerry got the nomination, I knew a lot of people who supported him in the primaries. I don't know anyone, absolutely anyone who supports Hillary Clinton.

Follow the money. Hillary has a virtual lock on the nomination. An overwhelming advantage. I really don't believe that Hillary will win the election unless the economy tanks and the war in Iraq really goes south but I would put my own money on her winning the nomination.

If you will talk to right-wing conservatives they will tell you they don't and can't support McCain. But again, he is far ahead of the other two contenders. He obviously wants to be president. He and Lieberman are joined at the hip. I think it is a very real possibility that it may happen. The Republican convention would accept it as Liberman is very popular among many Republican moderates. And it is also a high probability he may take the Defense post from Rumsfeld before long. That further establishes his bonifides. And he has long has the "fire in the belly" for the big time. Both of them.

I won't now go into why Hillary won't win but it has to do with the excess baggage that she would carry into the election. Warner might be the "knight in shining armor" that would rescue the Democrats but right now it doesn't look likely.

Personally, I sorta like the McCain/Lieberman duo. I see it as a winner. I'd vote for them. I would have voted for Lieberman if he had ran in 2004 instead of the imbecile Kerry. As it was I voted for the Libertarian candidate.

Stace said:
He wouldn't be running under the Democrat or Republican ticket. He's an Independent/write in candidate.

I'm aware of that fact but it doesn't matter. He is unelectable as a presidential candidate. It's a non-starter; won't happen.

A long, long shot who is in the running and an defacto active campaign is Russ Feingold. Don't count him out by any means. He could win the Democratic nomination and would be a very formidable candidate against the Republican candidate.

But as for Ventura. Just put it out of your mind. Won't happen.

You american can do what ever you want, but you most realise that it would be extremly silly if you had two famillies that would have run USA for over two decades. Because with 280 million people you could consider other famillies...

Stace said:

McCain is a Conservative Republican and always has been.....He will never change parties.........

Navy Pride said:
McCain is a Conservative Republican and always has been.....He will never change parties.........

Uh....we're not talking about McCain....we're talking about Jesse Ventura.

Missouri Mule said:
I'm aware of that fact but it doesn't matter. He is unelectable as a presidential candidate. It's a non-starter; won't happen.

A long, long shot who is in the running and an defacto active campaign is Russ Feingold. Don't count him out by any means. He could win the Democratic nomination and would be a very formidable candidate against the Republican candidate.

But as for Ventura. Just put it out of your mind. Won't happen.

And how, exactly, is he "unelectable"? He meets the criteria in that he is an American born citizen, he's over the age of 35.......even if he doesn't have a chance of winning a nomination, I can still discuss why I like his ideas and views.

Besides, with two years to go, I wouldn't count ANYONE out.

Bergslagstroll said:
You american can do what ever you want, but you most realise that it would be extremly silly if you had two famillies that would have run USA for over two decades. Because with 280 million people you could consider other famillies...

And what sort of a country do you come from, Mr. Troll?

Missouri Mule said:

Now that's an interesting idea. From what I've heard, Feingold is a moderate. He opposed the Patriot Act when it was unpopular to do so, and from what is going on in the senate right now, it looks like this can't hurt him.

After doing some more research - it looks like he opposes free trade, somewhat supports gun control. Then again, on the good side, he has a pretty good record on fiscal responsibility - something we need right now.

Last edited:
Stace said:
And how, exactly, is he "unelectable"? He meets the criteria in that he is an American born citizen, he's over the age of 35.......even if he doesn't have a chance of winning a nomination, I can still discuss why I like his ideas and views.

Besides, with two years to go, I wouldn't count ANYONE out.

I just know these things after following politics for about 55 years. I absolutely, positively, without equivocation, guarantee you that Ventura will not be the next president of the United States. And I would be astonished if he even runs for the office.

For what it is worth, I happen to like him for the most part. I think his honesty is refreshing but like all politicians they must walk both sides of the street to be elected. A Bill Clinton can get by with that but most can't. Bush is almost an anomoly. But he had the good fortune to run against two of the worst candidates in U.S. history; namely Al Bore and John (I voted against the funding before I voted for it) Kerry.

Last edited:
galenrox said:
One thing I've noticed is the only people who've said that Hillary'll win the nomination are people who would under almost no circumstances vote democrat, let alone for her. Anyone who's even remotely on the inside of the democrats knows full well she won't.

She can have all of the money in the world, won't change the fact that most people hate her (and not just right wingers, I mean most people of all political placement hate her). Unless she has a trick up her sleeve that will somehow get this vast majority of democrats who hate her to stop hating her, there isn't a chance in hell, so you can stop salivating for the walk in the park of an election you're anticipating!

It's funny that you'd suggest a McCaine/Lieberman ticket, considering that's the only match up that I wouldn't vote for McCaine on. I'd vote McCaine/Frist before I'd vote McCaine/Lieberman, cause although Frist is a dirty dirty mother****er, at least he's not a facist.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Missouri Mule said:
I just know these things after following politics for about 55 years. I absolutely, positively, without equivocation, guarantee you that Ventura will not be the next president of the United States. And I would be astonished if he even runs for the office.

For what it is worth, I happen to like him for the most part. I think his honesty is refreshing but like all politicians they must walk both sides of the street to be elected. A Bill Clinton can get by with that but most can't. Bush is almost an anomoly. But he had the good fortune to run against two of the worst candidates in U.S. history; namely Al Bore and John (I voted against the funding before I voted for it) Kerry.

For what it's worth, I don't really think that Ventura will even run, either.....doesn't mean I can't consider the minute possibility, though! Actually, though, I read something that said he was planning on leaving the country because of censorship......so who knows.

galenrox said:
Lieberman's a facist, as shown by his association with the PTC.

I'm no fan of the PTC, but I don't think that's a good reason to call lieberman a fascist. He's pro-market on economic issues, at least for a democrat, and he's pretty good on social issues with a few blind spots. That's all. He'd be a great VP.

Back
Top Bottom