• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Race for 2008

Stace said:
Uh....we're not talking about McCain....we're talking about Jesse Ventura.

Oh ok my bad........Did you know that one of the main reasons Ventura did not run for re election is becasue he would have gotten torched by his opponent?

Connecticutter said:
I'm no fan of the PTC, but I don't think that's a good reason to call lieberman a fascist. He's pro-market on economic issues, at least for a democrat, and he's pretty good on social issues with a few blind spots. That's all. He'd be a great VP.

He wants to be president not VP and I might have voted for him last year if he had gotten the nomination.......

One thing I've noticed is the only people who've said that Hillary'll win the nomination are people who would under almost no circumstances vote democrat, let alone for her. Anyone who's even remotely on the inside of the democrats knows full well she won't.

I am no democrat but I think she will win the nomination because in the polls she is by far the leader.................

Anyhow I hope she is.........

Navy Pride said:
Oh ok my bad........Did you know that one of the main reasons Ventura did not run for re election is becasue he would have gotten torched by his opponent?

Nice try, but it's more something along the lines of the fact that he couldn't stand the media, and what they did to his family while he was governor. He hates the media so bad that all press passes for the governor's press area were printed with the words "Media Jackal".

That's the only thing that pretty much convinces me that he won't actually run....because he won't put his family through that kind of a media frenzy.

Stace said:
Nice try, but it's more something along the lines of the fact that he couldn't stand the media, and what they did to his family while he was governor. He hates the media so bad that all press passes for the governor's press area were printed with the words "Media Jackal".

That's the only thing that pretty much convinces me that he won't actually run....because he won't put his family through that kind of a media frenzy.

He was a disaster as a governor and should have stuck to that phoney wrestling......

Navy Pride said:
He was a disaster as a governor and should have stuck to that phoney wrestling......

Actually, he was a VERY good governor. As a resident of Minnesota at the time, I do have some knowledge of what he accomplished in office.

Besides, the governorship wasn't his first foray into politics. He was also the mayor of Brooklyn Park, MN, in the early 90's.

And he wasn't just a wrestler....don't forget that he was also a Navy SEAL, did a stint as a radio talk show host, has acted, has published a couple of books, had a show on MSNBC, and taught a study group at Harvard. He also currently serves as a member of the Board of Advisors for Operation Truth.

One really good thing he did? Any surplus was given right back to the residents of Minnesota. Even people like me, that weren't even old enough to help vote him into office.

Tell me, were you a resident of the state while he was governor? If not, who are you to say how he did in office?

Connecticutter said:
I'm no fan of the PTC, but I don't think that's a good reason to call lieberman a fascist. He's pro-market on economic issues, at least for a democrat, and he's pretty good on social issues with a few blind spots. That's all. He'd be a great VP.

Something else to consider. Lieberman will be 67 in 2009. McCain will be 73. Assuming that McCain serves one term until he is 77, Lieberman will be 71 if he runs in 2012, still young enough.

In my view being a member of the PTC makes me want to vote for him even more. The filth on television and violence should turn anyone's stomach. Where is it written in our Constitution that we have to have open sewers everywhere we turn including our television screen?

Missouri Mule said:
Something else to consider. Lieberman will be 67 in 2009. McCain will be 73. Assuming that McCain serves one term until he is 77, Lieberman will be 71 if he runs in 2012, still young enough.

In my view being a member of the PTC makes me want to vote for him even more. The filth on television and violence should turn anyone's stomach. Where is it written in our Constitution that we have to have open sewers everywhere we turn including our television screen?

Well, as far as the television stuff goes.....if you don't want to see it, don't watch it. It's that simple. Most of the stuff people want to complain about, such as language, are really only found on cable/satellite television....very rarely on local channels. So if that sort of thing offends you, don't subscribe to cable or satellite services....or put a block on the channels you don't want to see. No one is forcing you to watch that channel.

With that said, I do think the a la carte programming option would greatly benefit television watchers, as you would then only be paying for the channels you actually want.....with my current satellite subscription, we receive 120 channels, but the only reason we got that package and not the one with only 60 channels was because the 120 package offered the SPEED channel, and we watch that quite often. I hate paying for channels I don't watch, and think it's ridiculous that I have to pay more just for a couple of extra channels that aren't available otherwise.

Missouri Mule said:

Very simple. Don't turn on your damn television screen. Or, alternatively, call your cable provider and ask them to block whatever channels you find offensive to your tv. I have no patience for people who think that they should be able to regulate what is shown on tv when in reality, they can take action to solve the issue for themselves.

aps said:

Jesse Ventura--I don't know enough about him.

I am from MN, and was under his governorship, he was independant, though I would say left-leaning, didn't really do anything during his term, except he cut education, our local scholl district has been having loads of problems from it.

Comrade Brian said:
I am from MN, and was under his governorship, he was independant, though I would say left-leaning, didn't really do anything during his term, except he cut education, our local scholl district has been having loads of problems from it.

Really? I lived in MN while he was governor, and I thought he did a lot of good things.....my school district certainly didn't/isn't suffering (I still keep in touch with some of my former teachers)......

I like Susan Sarandon but any Green party candidate would be fine with me.

Stace said:
Really? I lived in MN while he was governor, and I thought he did a lot of good things.....my school district certainly didn't/isn't suffering (I still keep in touch with some of my former teachers)......

Depends where you live, I live in Duluth, I hope you know where that is. And we've had several school closings, some schools are extremely needed. We have 3 public high schools, one is supposed to shut down in the next few years but hasn't been decided on, 2 with excellent reasons not to shut down, the 3rd has a good one to the board, but not to most people. Of course, Pawlenty does stuff, but it only really benifits the Twin Cities all northern areas are getting a cartload of **** from his economic policies, most wonder if it is because all Northern Reps and Sens are DFL and not Republican. But I do think both Ventura and Pawlenty are assholes. Now some of the ones before them were much better, and coincidently from the DFL.

Keep an eye on Feingold. He's definitely running. I signed up for his newsletter and he is going about it the right way building up his grassroots support. He is no flake and has been consistent. A real alternative to Hillary.

On the Republican side it appears that McCain still has a stranglehold on the nomination. Allen and Guilliani are still in the hunt, though.

The strongest possible tickets for both parties would be as follows:

McCain/Lieberman (yes he can choose from the other party)

Feingold/Bayh or Warner or vice-versa. Hillary simply has too much baggage to win the election.

Comrade Brian said:
Depends where you live, I live in Duluth, I hope you know where that is. And we've had several school closings, some schools are extremely needed. We have 3 public high schools, one is supposed to shut down in the next few years but hasn't been decided on, 2 with excellent reasons not to shut down, the 3rd has a good one to the board, but not to most people. Of course, Pawlenty does stuff, but it only really benifits the Twin Cities all northern areas are getting a cartload of **** from his economic policies, most wonder if it is because all Northern Reps and Sens are DFL and not Republican. But I do think both Ventura and Pawlenty are assholes. Now some of the ones before them were much better, and coincidently from the DFL.

Yes, I know where Duluth is....do you know where Prior Lake is?

Anyway, I can't say anything about MN's current situation, I don't know anything about Pawlenty, I haven't lived in MN since the fall of 2001 (that's when I joined the military).....but from what I knew of Ventura, I liked the guy. But hey, to each their own I guess....

Missouri Mule said:
Keep an eye on Feingold. He's definitely running. I signed up for his newsletter and he is going about it the right way building up his grassroots support. He is no flake and has been consistent. A real alternative to Hillary.

On the Republican side it appears that McCain still has a stranglehold on the nomination. Allen and Guilliani are still in the hunt, though.

The strongest possible tickets for both parties would be as follows:

McCain/Lieberman (yes he can choose from the other party)

Feingold/Bayh or Warner or vice-versa. Hillary simply has too much baggage to win the election.

Nobody will ever choose from the other side of the aisle for VP. What would happen if there was a tie in the senate?

My prediction in 2008 since Katrina killed the rep's:

President Clinton, welcome back!

Originally posted by Galenrox:
Bah, and VP Santa Clause and Secretary of State Ronald McDonald, and Secretary of Defence Senor Easter Bunny and Secretary of Education Snoop Dogg's imaginary friend.
It's not gonna happen man!
The only possible candidate the Republicans have is McCain. And he won't even get his own party's nomination.

It's going to be Rice vs. Hillary

Originally posted by Galenrox:
Dude, Hillary doesn't have a shot in hell to get nominated, not a shot in HELL!
Not only does the vast majority of the nation despise her, the vast majority of the democrats despise her!
In fact, out of all of the democrats that I know (in person, not here), not one, not ONE of them likes her or would even CONSIDER for a second voting for her. Not a shot in hell.
A couple of years from now I am going to make you eat these words.

RightatNYU said:
Nobody will ever choose from the other side of the aisle for VP. What would happen if there was a tie in the senate?

There is always a first time for everything. Lieberman can still remain a Democrat and the number of times that it comes down to tie breaking votes is a small number of times. I'm sure that if McCain leans on Lieberman hard enough he will do what he feels best. He knows that the ticket to the WH in 2012 rests in satisfying the Republican constituency; not the Democratic constituency. Joe wants to be president. He will be younger in 2012 than McCain will be if he wins the presidency in 2008.

The thing is that I would have voted for Lieberman over Bush any day of the week. It would have been a slam dunk for me. But the Democratic activists, as usual, would rather commit ritual hari-kari than nominate a good, sound candidate who is firmly wedded to traditional American values and a strong defense. Instead they went with this "war hero" in 2004 and got beat again. They'll probably do something equally foolish in 2008. Above all else, the middle of the road American wants someone with good common sense and who will do what is required to make this country a safe and secure place to live and work.

Missouri Mule said:
There is always a first time for everything. Lieberman can still remain a Democrat and the number of times that it comes down to tie breaking votes is a small number of times. I'm sure that if McCain leans on Lieberman hard enough he will do what he feels best. He knows that the ticket to the WH in 2012 rests in satisfying the Republican constituency; not the Democratic constituency. Joe wants to be president. He will be younger in 2012 than McCain will be if he wins the presidency in 2008.

The thing is that I would have voted for Lieberman over Bush any day of the week. It would have been a slam dunk for me. But the Democratic activists, as usual, would rather commit ritual hari-kari than nominate a good, sound candidate who is firmly wedded to traditional American values and a strong defense. Instead they went with this "war hero" in 2004 and got beat again. They'll probably do something equally foolish in 2008. Above all else, the middle of the road American wants someone with good common sense and who will do what is required to make this country a safe and secure place to live and work.

What exactly is your definition of a middle of the road American? Because I was sort of under the impression that we should ALL want someone with good common sense....but it's obvious we don't when you look at our current administration.

I'd sure like to have someone that's intelligent and can speak English, knows grammar, etc, but we certainly don't have that right now.

I've never felt unsafe in this country. Not before 9/11, and not after. I don't depend on the administration for my safety....safety measures start in your own home and community. As far as the national level goes, that's up to the Department of Defense. There's at least a FEW competent folks working there....

aps said:
Bill Frist--loser
Newt Gingrich--loser
Mike Huckabee--??
John McCain--I like him, but I hate him for kissing Bush's a$$ after the horrible way Bush (well, Karl Rove) attacked McCain so that he would not win in South Carolina. McCain has no balls. Stand up for yourself for god's sake!
Rudy Guiliani--I like him.
Condi Rice--I hate her. She lies too much (i.e, mushroom cloud).
Hillary Rodham Clinton--I can't stand her (but dislike Condi more).
John Edwards--I wasn't impressed with him when he was running with Kerry.
John Kerry--I like him BUT he talks too much and I believe he has lost his momentum.
Susan Sarandon--I like her.
Michael Badnarik--I dont' know enough about him.
Jesse Ventura--I don't know enough about him.

Personally, I like Mark Warner (current governor of Virginia, who is planning to run for prez) and Russell Feingold (senator from Wisconsin).

Stace, why do you like Jesse?

Right now I like Russ Feingold, John Edwards and Barak Obama (if he would run)

Susan Sarandon - that's a hoot :mrgreen:
Tim Robbins for VP!

Stace said:
What exactly is your definition of a middle of the road American? Because I was sort of under the impression that we should ALL want someone with good common sense....but it's obvious we don't when you look at our current administration.

I'd sure like to have someone that's intelligent and can speak English, knows grammar, etc, but we certainly don't have that right now.

I've never felt unsafe in this country. Not before 9/11, and not after. I don't depend on the administration for my safety....safety measures start in your own home and community. As far as the national level goes, that's up to the Department of Defense. There's at least a FEW competent folks working there....

A "middle of the road" American is holds traditional values; goes to work in the morning, comes home and lives a normal family life. They pay the taxes; drive the roads, want good schools that are cost effective; want clean and wholesome entertainment and all around common sense. The Democrats have been controlled by a tiny cabal of extremists for years; about 35 in all since the Vietnam war. They keep putting up losers or in the case of Clinton deeply flawed candidates. (Clinton won btw because of Ross Perot).

The Republicans haven't done all that much better but at least they are perceived my most "red staters" as essentially interested in their values and a strong defense. These trump all of the silly nonsense about abortion and gays in the military crap that has dominated politics the past two decades. And then Americans look at the garbage coming out of Hollyweird and wonder what the hell is going on? Can there be any doubt as to why the Democrats don't win elections when they put up such luminaries as Michael Dukakis, Al Bore and John (I voted against the defense appropriation before I voted for it) Kerry?

People may be stupid in many ways, but they aren't quite that stupid. Bush may be a lousy extemporaneous communicator but at least most Americans (a majority) believed that he would better protect them than a Democratic party more interested in non-essential bulloney than abortion and gays in the military.

Ok, let me see if I can decipher this...

Missouri Mule said:
A "middle of the road" American is holds traditional values; goes to work in the morning, comes home and lives a normal family life. They pay the taxes; drive the roads, want good schools that are cost effective; want clean and wholesome entertainment and all around common sense. The Democrats have been controlled by a tiny cabal of extremists for years; about 35 in all since the Vietnam war. They keep putting up losers or in the case of Clinton deeply flawed candidates. (Clinton won btw because of Ross Perot).

Let's see here....."traditional" according to who, exactly? What I hold as traditional may not be what you hold traditional, and I'm not talking about holidays, either. And who dictates "normal" family life? There is no clear, one-size-fits-all standard for normal. What is classified as "clean and wholesome" entertainment? Do you really think the government should mandate what EVERYONE watches? Hardly. Don't even get me started on that one.

And why did you have to throw in the partisan crap? That's not the issue.

The Republicans haven't done all that much better but at least they are perceived my most "red staters" as essentially interested in their values and a strong defense. These trump all of the silly nonsense about abortion and gays in the military crap that has dominated politics the past two decades. And then Americans look at the garbage coming out of Hollyweird and wonder what the hell is going on? Can there be any doubt as to why the Democrats don't win elections when they put up such luminaries as Michael Dukakis, Al Bore and John (I voted against the defense appropriation before I voted for it) Kerry?

I may live in a red state, but I'm no red stater. Values should not be dictated by the government - that's between you, your family, and your church (if you have one). Apparently, abortion and gay issues AREN'T "nonsense", you yourself have been doing your own fair share of debating those issues.

As far as Kerry's voting record....I believe it was something more along the lines of he was for it to begin with, and then voted against it....probably because something was changed, something was added that he didn't agree with, or something was omitted that he wanted....there are a myriad of reasons as to why a Senator would vote against a particular bill, it is not necessarily a vote against the bill as a whole.

People may be stupid in many ways, but they aren't quite that stupid. Bush may be a lousy extemporaneous communicator but at least most Americans (a majority) believed that he would better protect them than a Democratic party more interested in non-essential bulloney than abortion and gays in the military.

Just out of curiosity....what is "bulloney"? Is it kinda like bologna/baloney, but made out of bull meat? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, I don't think too many Americans were seriously concerned over national security until Bush and Co. started their scare tactics after 9/11. I certainly wasn't, and it still doesn't scare me, because I have a mind of my own, and am smart enough to realize that short of putting up some super tough bubble over the entire country (mind you, it'd have to be bullet proof, nuke proof, etc), there isn't a whole lot we can do defense wise that a terrorist couldn't eventually find their way around. If someone is THAT determined to attack us, they WILL find a way. Why worry about it? Life's short enough as it is.

Missouri Mule said:
There is always a first time for everything. Lieberman can still remain a Democrat and the number of times that it comes down to tie breaking votes is a small number of times.

What? It happens all the time. Cheney flew back early from Iraq just a few days ago to be the tiebreaker vote in a budget bill. And it will not happen. Under any circumstances, especially the current political atmosphere.

I'm sure that if McCain leans on Lieberman hard enough he will do what he feels best. He knows that the ticket to the WH in 2012 rests in satisfying the Republican constituency; not the Democratic constituency. Joe wants to be president. He will be younger in 2012 than McCain will be if he wins the presidency in 2008.

And if McCain wins in 2008 you don't think he'll run again? Or you somehow thing that the GOP will just say "Hey, we had 12 great years of the presidency, let's just let the dems have it now?" Either the 08-12 admin will be great, which will keep it in GOP hands, or it will go poorly, which will reflect badly on Lieberman. There's no way he will ever be president.

What on earth would compel you to vote for Lieberman over Bush? Oh, that's right, the PTC.

Back
Top Bottom