• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Race, Crime, and American History X[W:33]

GoNavy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How many people watch that oh-so-famous dinner scene when Ed Norton totally takes control of the discussion of the L.A. riots ... turns it into a Rodney King discussion ... and then uses the line - "Look at the statistics for ... sake, One in every three black males is in some phase of the correctional system." And then he continues to dominate the monologue with vicious segues, slalom-esque red-herrings ... and a table full of family members clearly in a submissive state.

So, I like to check in on YouTube every year or so on this particular clip. Get a taste of the "pulse" of American culture as I browse through the Top Comments and most recent comments. AND IT CONTINUES to BAFFLE me ... the regurgitative level of ignorance that plagues our nation. Lazy, impressionable, lemmings who look up to the big Hollywood screen like the 1984 Apple commercial. Letting Studio City brainwash your hearts AND minds. I recently scanned the comments. Maybe 17 out of 20 of the top comments were all CLEARLY on Ed Norton's side. Yeah.

All of you who agree with Ed Norton ... I hope none of you have children. Too lazy to do your homework. Letting Hollywood brainwash you. Your ignorance is almost up there with racism.

Here. Let me educate you. AND PAY ATTENTION.

As of 2009 (and I know this movie is from 1998, but the numbers won't change that drastically), in terms of Total Crime and All Age groups reported where the arrests were made, there were apprx 2.64 million black offenders. Those were the arrests. Not convictions. About 560,000 were ACTUALLY sentenced. As of 2009, there were 1.12 million total black people on parole and probation. This constitutes that VAST bulk of the "correctional system" remark Ed Norton makes. Add the two - and you have about 1.68 million. OK !! ?? So, as of 2009, the black population was about 38.3 million. DO THE FREAKING MATH. When Derek uses the "One in three" phrase (apprx 33%), HE HAS his head so far up his ASS with racism and bigotry. The statistics that I just illustrated say that not even 4.5% black people (or, less than 1 in 20) actually fit that description.

DO YOUR HW people before you let Bollywood brainwash you.

I fear for the future when you are Managers, Supervisors, and CEOs.

Ed Norton... American History X... as in a character in a movie?

He sounds like a regular on fox news, most republicans today would agree with that speech

Maybe he meant Bernie Sanders

"A black male baby born today, if we do not change the system, stands a one-in-three chance (of) ending up in jail."

Ed Norton... American History X... as in a character in a movie?

Ah, now his post almost makes a vague sort of sense...or at least is less gibberish.

Maybe he meant Bernie Sanders

"A black male baby born today, if we do not change the system, stands a one-in-three chance (of) ending up in jail."

He used that stat too point out racism in the criminal justice system, most people would see a statistic like that as being proof of systemic racism in America nationwide, but the republicans claim its proof that blacks are inferior as a race

Unless you think bernie sanders is a secret nazi?

How many people watch that oh-so-famous dinner scene when Ed Norton totally takes control of the discussion of the L.A. riots ... turns it into a Rodney King discussion ... and then uses the line - "Look at the statistics for ... sake, One in every three black males is in some phase of the correctional system." And then he continues to dominate the monologue with vicious segues, slalom-esque red-herrings ... and a table full of family members clearly in a submissive state.

So, I like to check in on YouTube every year or so on this particular clip. Get a taste of the "pulse" of American culture as I browse through the Top Comments and most recent comments. AND IT CONTINUES to BAFFLE me ... the regurgitative level of ignorance that plagues our nation. Lazy, impressionable, lemmings who look up to the big Hollywood screen like the 1984 Apple commercial. Letting Studio City brainwash your hearts AND minds. I recently scanned the comments. Maybe 17 out of 20 of the top comments were all CLEARLY on Ed Norton's side. Yeah.

All of you who agree with Ed Norton ... I hope none of you have children. Too lazy to do your homework. Letting Hollywood brainwash you. Your ignorance is almost up there with racism.

As of 2009 (and I know this movie is from 1998, but the numbers won't change that drastically), in terms of Total Crime and All Age groups reported where the arrests were made, there were apprx 2.64 million black offenders. Those were the arrests. Not convictions. About 560,000 were ACTUALLY sentenced. As of 2009, there were 1.12 million total black people on parole and probation. This constitutes that VAST bulk of the "correctional system" remark Ed Norton makes. Add the two - and you have about 1.68 million. OK !! ?? So, as of 2009, the black population was about 38.3 million. DO THE FREAKING MATH. When Derek uses the "One in three" phrase (apprx 33%), HE HAS his head so far up his ASS with racism and bigotry. The statistics that I just illustrated say that not even 4.5% black people (or, less than 1 in 20) actually fit that description.

If one considers that simpy having an arrest record places one into "some phase of the criminal justice system" then the statement is correct. Many consider that being arrested (I have been arrested/jailed multiple times) is having been involved wth the criiminal justice system.

A large number of American men have already been arrested by the time they’re in their early 20s, according to a new report.

The study, published on Monday in the journal Crime & Delinquency, found that nearly half (49 percent) of African-American men and 40 percent of white men have been arrested by the age of 23, “which can hurt their ability to find work, go to school and participate fully in their communities,” according to a press release.

Nearly Half Of Black Males, 40 Percent Of White Males Are Arrested By Age 23: Study

Ah, now his post almost makes a vague sort of sense...or at least is less gibberish.

We make a potential mistake using a movie character's attitude in some story as a suggestion of actual belief, or something to support or argue against some idea outside of the movie.

We can talk about the movie all we would like, perhaps make the associations of an attitude to others outside of a movie that we observe. But to say anything like "All of you who agree with Ed Norton" is intentionally misleading.

He used that stat too point out racism in the criminal justice system, most people would see a statistic like that as being proof of systemic racism in America nationwide, but the republicans claim its proof that blacks are inferior as a race

Unless you think bernie sanders is a secret nazi?

You mean like that movie where Ryan Gosling played a jew who was a nazi?

If one considers that simpy having an arrest record places one into "some phase of the criminal justice system" then the statement is correct. Many consider that being arrested (I have been arrested/jailed multiple times) is having been involved wth the criiminal justice system.

Nearly Half Of Black Males, 40 Percent Of White Males Are Arrested By Age 23: Study

actually the statistic is accurate, 1 in 3 black males will go too jail in america, the numbers are from 2001 and i think its closer too 1 in 4 today, but still much higher than 1 in 17 for white males

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...or-and-criminal-justice-in-the-united-states/

...and another bigot chimes in. You should really enjoy that video, since the two of you are cut from the same cloth.

considering you call everyone who isn't a white supremacist a "bigot"... ill take that as a compliment

How many people watch that oh-so-famous dinner scene when Ed Norton totally takes control of the discussion of the L.A. riots ... ..\
Why the Ridiculous Ed Norton strawman...which was TRUE?
Why not do a LITTLE homework and find the stats.
Your OP sucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#Homicide

Homicide

According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for Blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites (per 100,000), and the victim rate 6 times higher (per 100,000).
[.......]

Robbery

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2002, the black arrest rate for robbery was 8.55 times Higher than whites, and blacks were 16 times more likely to be incarcerated for robbery than non-Hispanic whites. Robberies with White victims and Black offenders were more than 12 Times more common than the reverse.[38][39]​

Then of course, there is your fallacious linking of One movie/scene with 'Hollywood' in general.

Last edited:
considering you call everyone who isn't a white supremacist a "bigot"... ill take that as a compliment

Not even close. I call a bigot everyone who is a bigot. It has nothing to do with ideology and everything to do with bigotry. Your comments on this thread are 100% pure unadulterated bigotry. You assign a false trait to those you dislike/hate - that's bigotry. You're doing nothing different than what you showed in the video...

Not even close. I call a bigot everyone who is a bigot. It has nothing to do with ideology and everything to do with bigotry. Your comments on this thread are 100% pure unadulterated bigotry. You assign a false trait to those you dislike/hate - that's bigotry. You're doing nothing different than what you showed in the video...

and of course only im doing that? not people like mbig who are openly agreeing with everything he said?

and of course only im doing that? not people like mbig who are openly agreeing with everything he said?
I'm providing meaningful posts/Facts/Data..
You provide Empty ad hom and Juvenile Leftist Partisan Hackery.
NOTHING else.
As always, your posts are one-line Wisecracks/wastes of space. (see above and board-wide)
You Diminish the quality of the board in Every string you enter.

I'm providing meaningful posts/Facts/Data..
You provide Empty ad hom and Juvenile Partisan Hackery.
NOTHING else.
As always., your posts are one-line Wisecracks/wastes of space.
You Diminish the quality of the board in Every string you enter.

your opinion is that black people are inferior too whites..... you presented what you consider to be evidence.... what do you want exactly? for me too tell you its okay to be a white supremacist?

Saying youtube comments are the pulse of American culture is stretching it a bit.

That's not Ed Norton's quote. Kudos for doing some homework. But Epic Fail for failing to match the puzzle pieces.

Try again.

your opinion is that black people are inferior too whites..... you presented what you consider to be evidence.... what do you want exactly? for me too tell you its okay to be a White Supremacist?
THIS string IS on Black Crime and it's frequency.
I posted Wiki stats on such.

I will not engage you further, nor will you engage me withOUT putting some ON TOPIC meat on the bone.
Go ahead, make my day.. Keep Trolling/emptily and personally insulting me and everyone else.

Last edited:
THIS string IS on Black Crime and it's frequency.
I posted on such.

I will not engage you further, nor will you engage me withOUT putting some ON TOPIC meat on the bone.
Go ahead, make my day.. Keep Trolling/emptily and personally insulting me and everyone else.

preetty sure its about nazis, and since your basically saying you agree with them... why don't you give us an aryans opinion.... what should we do with all these inferior races?

He's challenging the numbers being used, nothing else. What you are doing is straight-up bigotry. It's no different than trying to make it look like all blacks are gang members, criminals, poverty stricken, welfare cheats, etc. All lies. What you posted was all lies as well and was just as driven by hate as those who wear white hoods and burn crosses in people's yards.

Did you really try to use two categories of crime, and pass them off to me like I don't know what the aggregate categories that comprise Total Crime, which is how you establish a comment like "some form of the correctional system"? And then you tried to strengthen your case by comparing percentage relativity black vs. white in a sad red herring attempt to sound intelligent?

Yeah. I include you in the - I hope you don't have children - comment.
No, what happened was the unbelievably Obtuse Opening post tried to use 'Ed Norton' as a strawman without posting Any real stats.
What a Joke.

Last edited:
We make a potential mistake using a movie character's attitude in some story as a suggestion of actual belief, or something to support or argue against some idea outside of the movie.

We can talk about the movie all we would like, perhaps make the associations of an attitude to others outside of a movie that we observe. But to say anything like "All of you who agree with Ed Norton" is intentionally misleading.

It's not intentionally misleading at all. It's calling out laziness and people who stare at the screen, letting the 1984 BIG HEAD brainwash them as they stare, silent, breathing through their mouths ...

Question everything. Do your homework. Monologues without VERIFIABLE statistics are hot air at best. And that's Ed Norton's character. 98% hot air, with occasional statistics mixed in (that are MASSIVELY inaccurate), preying upon uneducated, disempowered, sexually-frustrated, young, impressionable, directionless males who need purpose in life. WHO wants Kool-Aid !! ??

Your math skills are deplorable. I truly hope you do not have a technical vocation.

So, you are implying that if you include ALL 2.64 million arrests in the "correctional system" remark instead of the 560,000, then you get 33%. That's your assertion? OK. Calculator time.

(2.64 + 1.12) / 38.3 = 9.8172 % !! And you thought you would pass it off as 33.3%. Oh my gosh, you are just as lazy and ignorant as the fools who flood YouTube with stupidity.

I hope you do not have children.

Back
Top Bottom