• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Race and Politics

Why do Blacks and Hispanics repeatedly and overwhelmingly vote for Democratic candidates ?

Because:

1. They are still grateful to the Democrats for pushing Civil Rights after World War II (e.g., President Truman integrated the armed forces).

2. Because the Democrats tell better lies than the Republicans do.

If, indeed, as so many Conservatives here at DP claim, it is the Democratic Party that is the political party of racism...Why do Blacks and Hispanics repeatedly and overwhelmingly vote for Democratic candidates ?

Because they've been enslaved by the Democrat party.

Politics is only about race now because the left won't ever let it be about anything else.

Yes, it's a good thing our President never mentions things like "African-American unemployment rates" or Judges can't be fair and impartial because of their Mexican heritage.

According to Trump supporters.
I'm saying Trump supporters because I actually don't believe most conservatives, or Republicans think the way I will describe.
They believe blacks and Latinos are voting for Democrats because inherently they want handouts and they believe Democrats only give handouts.
It doesn't matter what the numbers say.

Close, but imo a little off.

They believe both parties give handouts, but they think Dems give those handouts to the uppity coloureds. Whereas the good ol' boys, the Republicans, they do their best to make sure those uppity coloureds don't get those handouts, only white boys get the handouts.

Personally, I've seen very very few conservatives who aren't all for handouts, so long as they are the ones getting the handouts.

More minorities are starting to wake up. This is why democrats want open borders, so they can import their welfare votes. They want their voters to be dependent on them and have no faith in their ability to take care of themselves. They really don't care about people, they just want votes.

More minorities are starting to wake up.

They do. There are still some who haven't figure out that having a racist like Trump as POTUS is bad for everyone.

When the best strategy Trump has to energize the base is one based on fear, hatred, and racism,

Trump’s Midterm Closing Argument: Pure Racial Fear

Trump is saying a lot about what he thinks of his base, which according to his strategy is that his base is largely composed of cowardly racists. Yet these people, the people Trump views as cowardly racists, still support him.

You're part of Trump's base Riley, so Trump apparently views you as a cowardly racist, but you still support him. Why is that?

Politics is only about race now because the left won't ever let it be about anything else.

A slight disagreement, it's only only about race, but,yes, the Left looooves to play the race card no matter how tired and dog-eared that card has become.

The answer is simple. Most people do not vote for the best person for the job. The sad fact is they pull the party lever from the first time they vote until the day they die. Work the polls and see for yourself.

Sorry, but disagreed. Consider that 40% of American voters are Independents with about 28-30% of voters being aligned with one of the two major parties. A more accurate statement would be that far Left and far Right voters will put party over quality of candidate, but most people do not.

More minorities are starting to wake up. This is why democrats want open borders, so they can import their welfare votes. They want their voters to be dependent on them and have no faith in their ability to take care of themselves. They really don't care about people, they just want votes.

Democrats don't want open border. Why lie about something like that?

If, indeed, as so many Conservatives here at DP claim, it is the Democratic Party that is the political party of racism...Why do Blacks and Hispanics repeatedly and overwhelmingly vote for Democratic candidates ?

Because, like in the last two elections, voters vote for what they consider to be the lesser of two evils. Many voters didn't like Trump, but they like Hillary less. Many voters don't completely agree with the Democrats, but considering how the Republican party has been running things the past two years, they felt a change was needed. Although I voted straight third party in the past two elections, I'm in the minority. Most people buy into the meme that they'd be wasting their vote on a third party candidate and, therefore, stick with choosing the "lesser of two evils". In 2016, that was the Republicans. In 2018, that was Democrats in the House.

Lastly, let's not forget the "Republican Autopsy" done after the 2012. It stated that Republicans should seek to include more Hispanics. Hispanics are perfect examples of conservatives: they are religious, family-oriented, have a hearty work-ethic and are very traditional. Unfortunately, many of them don't pass the white paper test for skin tone soooooo.....the study was ignored.

The 2018 midterm vote: Divisions by race, gender, education | Pew Research Center
FT_18.11.07_MidtermDemographics_gender-race-education-divides.png

FT_18.11.07_MidtermDemographics_younger-adults-democratic.png

Close, but imo a little off.

They believe both parties give handouts, but they think Dems give those handouts to the uppity coloureds. Whereas the good ol' boys, the Republicans, they do their best to make sure those uppity coloureds don't get those handouts, only white boys get the handouts.

Personally, I've seen very very few conservatives who aren't all for handouts, so long as they are the ones getting the handouts.

I find these threads funny. You know it's as if people of color aren't living in the world and actually seeing/feeling the effects of whoever is in power.
As a person of color that is a business owner I could care less about jobs. Jobs jobs jobs just another form of a plantation.
I haven't hired anyone new in the last 8 months too much is up in the air.
The only time I voted straight d before was during the Reagen years and here I go again. I just hope we don't over correct like we did before.
I actually don't know if I can ever vote for a Republican again after what McConnell has done to the Republicans.
Trump is a blowhard he is what he is. McConnell is the true evil of everything that has gone down in the Republican party.
Hey I guess that's why there top operative is moving to New Zealand.

They do. There are still some who haven't figure out that having a racist like Trump as POTUS is bad for everyone.

When the best strategy Trump has to energize the base is one based on fear, hatred, and racism,

Trump’s Midterm Closing Argument: Pure Racial Fear

Trump is saying a lot about what he thinks of his base, which according to his strategy is that his base is largely composed of cowardly racists. Yet these people, the people Trump views as cowardly racists, still support him.

You're part of Trump's base Riley, so Trump apparently views you as a cowardly racist, but you still support him. Why is that?

I haven't heard Trump say anything racist. Why would anyone vote democrat? Look at all the cities controlled by democrats, they are ****holes. All of the ideas on the left are failures. Obamacare was so ****ty we had to be forced by law to accept it. Face it, democrat policies are terrible.

Sorry, but disagreed. Consider that 40% of American voters are Independents with about 28-30% of voters being aligned with one of the two major parties. A more accurate statement would be that far Left and far Right voters will put party over quality of candidate, but most people do not.

I work the polls and it get the machine ready for the voter. I had at least 100 elderly people (I am 60 so elderly starts at 75+) ask me to show them how to vote straight party and were democrat. I was surprised that I only had a couple of republicans ask me how to vote straight party. However the people that did not tell me which party they were voting for may have been republican. Now the younger people (50 and younger) clearly took their time and looked through the candidates. Everyone in their 20's and 30's clearly looked through the candidates just by the amount of time it took them to vote. However the younger voters were out numbered by the elderly at least 10 to 1. I know how long it takes to scroll through the candidates even if you are familiar with the machine and know who you are voting for. People voting in less than half the time I voted had to have voted straight party because the pages do not even load fast enough to vote that quickly. In my precinct more than half the people who voted were 60+. The 30- 50 made up about 30%. The 18 to 30 made up less than 10% and that is a high estimate. The reason I am aware is I would have for a person to finish voting before bring the next person up to the machine. There was no wait for a machine with the elderly. 15 seconds they were gone. Sometimes less if they asked me which button was straight party and how to confirm their vote. The people deciding who they were going to vote for could take a few minutes backing up the line.

I do know most states do not have straight party voting. I also know that a lot of people do not even know who is running. If you don't believe me just ask some friends and neighbors wat they think of a candidate saying you are not who to vote for. You will then hear the common answer are they a democrat of republican. I always say the wrong party by mistake just for fun. I almost never get corrected but do get an answer based on party.

You know it's a scary age when I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... because so many Republicans nowadays will honestly, unironically say just that.

Off-topic:
I have that same problem, especially with regard to posts by members whose IDs I don't recognize and have associated with a general "bent," which, is almost everyone posting here. (Occasionally, I come by a member who's on their ID noted their political leaning/predilection; for them I don't have to guess.)

I work the polls and it get the machine ready for the voter. I had at least 100 elderly people (I am 60 so elderly starts at 75+) ask me to show them how to vote straight party and were democrat. I was surprised that I only had a couple of republicans ask me how to vote straight party. However the people that did not tell me which party they were voting for may have been republican. Now the younger people (50 and younger) clearly took their time and looked through the candidates. Everyone in their 20's and 30's clearly looked through the candidates just by the amount of time it took them to vote. However the younger voters were out numbered by the elderly at least 10 to 1. I know how long it takes to scroll through the candidates even if you are familiar with the machine and know who you are voting for. People voting in less than half the time I voted had to have voted straight party because the pages do not even load fast enough to vote that quickly. In my precinct more than half the people who voted were 60+. The 30- 50 made up about 30%. The 18 to 30 made up less than 10% and that is a high estimate. The reason I am aware is I would have for a person to finish voting before bring the next person up to the machine. There was no wait for a machine with the elderly. 15 seconds they were gone. Sometimes less if they asked me which button was straight party and how to confirm their vote. The people deciding who they were going to vote for could take a few minutes backing up the line.

I do know most states do not have straight party voting. I also know that a lot of people do not even know who is running. If you don't believe me just ask some friends and neighbors wat they think of a candidate saying you are not who to vote for. You will then hear the common answer are they a democrat of republican. I always say the wrong party by mistake just for fun. I almost never get corrected but do get an answer based on party.

So, tell me again what information you are extrapolating across 150M+ voters from a single polling station? That 75+ year old voters stick to voting the party line? That younger voters don't study before showing up at the polls and have to actually read the names and consider them before voting?

For blacks, it all goes back to FDR and the great depression. Prior to the great depression, blacks who could vote did so overwhelmingly Republican. FDR provided hope for everyone during the depression. Not only did blacks flock to the Democratic Party, but whites and about everyone else. Most of America blamed the Republicans and Hoover for the depression. If you go back to party affiliation, from 1932-1965 roughly those who identified or affiliated with the Democratic Party averaged around 45% of the total electorate, with a few years of topping 50%. The GOP struggled along at an average of 30% ranging between 25-35%. Just the opposite of the 1865-1930 figures.

The black vote switch to the Democrats by approximately a 70-30 margin from 1932 thru 1960. Then 85-15 through 1980 and from then roughly 90-10 Democratic. I don't have the Hispanic figures prior to 1980. But they break down to roughly 65-30. Reagan received 35 and 37% of the Hispanic vote, then for the Republican Party their share of the Hispanic vote dropped to a low of 21% in 1996, rose to a high of 40% in 2004. Then both Romney and Trump received 27% of the Hispanic vote. Now the Cuban Hispanic vote is the exception, they vote overwhelmingly Republican where Mexican and Central American Hispanic the opposite, overwhelmingly Democratic. Probably the difference was the Cuban Hispanics fled for their lives from Castro. They fled political prosecution usually resulting in death if they didn't back Castro or opposed him. Mexican and Central Americans usually fled for economic reasons, not political or under threat of death.

It is interesting to note that since 1965 through 1980 the democratic share of the total electorate dropped down to 35% and has continued to drop to today's 30%. Republicans rose from 25% to 30% by 1980 before dropping down to 26% today.

Is either party racists, I don't think so. I think differing political ideology, philosophy, differing points of view on politics in general results in one or the other party trying to paint the other as racist.

So, tell me again what information you are extrapolating across 150M+ voters from a single polling station? That 75+ year old voters stick to voting the party line? That younger voters don't study before showing up at the polls and have to actually read the names and consider them before voting?

I have worked the polling stations in other cities but the pattern is the same. Only a little over 1/2 the people registered to vote actually vote. Then you have the 50+ million people who have not registered to vote. So we have 250 million people who could vote. Now out of the 100 million voters who did vote at least half most likely voted straight party and not only do not know who they voted for but the issues either. That leaves 60 million voters that actually look into the issues and vote for the best person in their opinion. That would be a high estimate. Now I am not using exact numbers from any particular year just rough estimate of voter information over the years.

I will bet anyone $1000.00 that if you question the average voter about the issues or even who was running the majority by far will be clueless except for maybe the president.

Last edited:
I have worked the polling stations in other cities but the pattern is the same. Only a little over 1/2 the people registered to vote actually vote. Then you have the 50+ million people who have not registered to vote. So we have 250 million people who could vote. Now out of the 100 million voters who did vote at least half most likely voted straight party and not only do not know who they voted for but the issues either. That leaves 60 million voters that actually look into the issues and vote for the best person in their opinion. That would be a high estimate. Now I am not using exact numbers from any particular year just rough estimate of voter information over the years.

I will bet anyone $1000.00 that if you question the average voter about the issues or even who was running the majority by far will be clueless except for maybe the president.

No bet since I agree with you. So what do you see as a solution? Isn't it for the best that those too lazy to register to vote or get off their asses to vote don't vote?

No bet since I agree with you. So what do you see as a solution? Isn't it for the best that those too lazy to register to vote or get off their asses to vote don't vote?

It is not that the people are too lazy to register to vote. Actually just the opposite. The people not voting are parents with children working 2 jobs and volunteering for little league, boy scouts, etc. that just don't get around to voting. You have the college kids that are too busy with fulfilling their sports scholarship and passing their classes as well as working part time to make ends meet. Another excuse from a lot of younger people is I don't know the issues or who to vote for so I figure I might do more harm than good randomly picking people.

I think the first step is to teach more in school about the process. I would love a class to come to our district and watch how the process works. I would love to see young men and women from college working the polls and getting paid for it as well as even giving them a credit for it. Education is the answer the only problem is one party controls education so that is a major problem in itself. I think we need to start in high school and college and get them involved. There is nothing we can do about the straight party who has no clue except wait for them to die out and be replaced by more educated and informed voters. But we have to start somewhere.

It is not that the people are too lazy to register to vote. Actually just the opposite. The people not voting are parents with children working 2 jobs and volunteering for little league, boy scouts, etc. that just don't get around to voting. You have the college kids that are too busy with fulfilling their sports scholarship and passing their classes as well as working part time to make ends meet. Another excuse from a lot of younger people is I don't know the issues or who to vote for so I figure I might do more harm than good randomly picking people.

I think the first step is to teach more in school about the process. I would love a class to come to our district and watch how the process works. I would love to see young men and women from college working the polls and getting paid for it as well as even giving them a credit for it. Education is the answer the only problem is one party controls education so that is a major problem in itself. I think we need to start in high school and college and get them involved. There is nothing we can do about the straight party who has no clue except wait for them to die out and be replaced by more educated and informed voters. But we have to start somewhere.

Sorry, but absentee ballots and early voting negate those excuses. I haven't actually voted on election day in well over a decade, maybe two.

Educating people about the process is good. Teaching civic lessons and civic duty is much better than the kubaya crap ending in a group hug.

That's a good question. I look at most inner cities and wonder the same thing.

I bet you never see a "Republicans are the Party of Lincoln" ad play on TV in the South.

Back
Top Bottom