• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raccoons trying to get in my house

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Wtf? I was sitting here interacting with you guys, and heard scratching on the window screen. I remember hearing the same thing a week or two ago, and nothing was out there. Well, I turned on the front yard flood light, and saw two little raccoons scratching at the window. They must think I have food in here. :lol: I recently started bringing in the cats' food bowls in at night, because I have a feral cat hanging around down at the creek, and I don't want him/her coming up to the house for leftover cat food. I guess the raccoons noticed. :lol:

Wtf? I was sitting here interacting with you guys, and heard scratching on the window screen. I remember hearing the same thing a week or two ago, and nothing was out there. Well, I turned on the front yard flood light, and saw two little raccoons scratching at the window. They must think I have food in here. :lol: I recently started bringing in the cats' food bowls in at night, because I have a feral cat hanging around down at the creek, and I don't want him/her coming up to the house for leftover cat food. I guess the raccoons noticed. :lol:

Those raccoons have some big cajones. :D

Raccoons love cat food. And they can smell it from way off. That's why they're trying to get in the house (and they will find a way in). I've had the same problem. My cats (and me) found it was easier to get along with the Coons than to fight them. The dogs just laugh at all of us. Oh, and they love fish food at my pond, too. The catfish DON'T think it's funny. Ever seen a catfish jump up at the fish feeder to try to knock the Coon off? It's hilarious. And if you have raccoons, they will keep the opossums and snakes away from the house. Get good lids for the trash cans.

I am surprised you don't have any opossums, they also love cat food and can be pretty bold sometimes.I remember seeing one eating cat food at a friend of mine's house.That opossum was just eating the cat food like it was no big deal. I would never put a cat's food outdoors because you will be feeding every cat in the neighborhood as well as any other critters if you leave cat food out.

Raccoons love cat food. And they can smell it from way off. That's why they're trying to get in the house (and they will find a way in). I've had the same problem. My cats (and me) found it was easier to get along with the Coons than to fight them. The dogs just laugh at all of us. Oh, and they love fish food at my pond, too. The catfish DON'T think it's funny. Ever seen a catfish jump up at the fish feeder to try to knock the Coon off? It's hilarious. And if you have raccoons, they will keep the opossums and snakes away from the house. Get good lids for the trash cans.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with how crafty and persistent raccoons can be. I had to get a special container with a locking top to keep my birdseed in, because they can get into virtually any container. I really don't want to shoot them, because they are just trying to survive like the rest of us, but it really surprised me to hear them scratching at the freaking window, then when I went outside, one of them ran toward the door like he was going to invite himself in.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with how crafty and persistent raccoons can be. I had to get a special container with a locking top to keep my birdseed in, because they can get into virtually any container. I really don't want to shoot them, because they are just trying to survive like the rest of us, but it really surprised me to hear them scratching at the freaking window, then when I went outside, one of them ran toward the door like he was going to invite himself in.

:lamo He thought you were finally letting him in. He'd been knocking for a while. Don;t be surprised if you find one in the kitchen in the morning. They won;t hurt you if you just stay back and ignore them. If you find one in the house, open all the doors, go in another room, and start banging something loud. He'll leave. He may leave you present on the floor when you scare him, but a little vinegar will take care of that. Don't forget to shut the door.

:lamo He thought you were finally letting him in. He'd been knocking for a while. Don;t be surprised if you find one in the kitchen in the morning. They won;t hurt you if you just stay back and ignore them. If you find one in the house, open all the doors, go in another room, and start banging something loud. He'll leave. He may leave you present on the floor when you scare him, but a little vinegar will take care of that. Don't forget to shut the door.

lol- they will only get in if they have figured out how to unlock the deadbolts. :mrgreen:

lol- they will only get in if they have figured out how to unlock the deadbolts. :mrgreen:

I love the positive thought going on here. Keep telling yourself that. Oh... wait... didn't I just read someone saying that raccoons can get into anything? Hmmm....

They got into my house, and its a fort. Scared the crap out of the dogs. They weren't expecting that one (A mouse? Maybe. One of my son's sleepy girlfriend's seeking up from the basement? Its happened. But a Coon???). Made for a real fun night.

Yeah, we have opossums and raccoons around here too, and if we forget to bring the kitty kibble in at night, sure as heck one of them will be chowing down within an hour of sunset. Cute critters, lol. Raccoons love kitty/doggie doors, though. We found that out because we had a kitty door in my husband's shop for a feral mama and her litter many years ago. Imagine when I went out to check on them and found a deserted nursery (they were all in hiding) and a fat raccoon helping itself to their supper!

Last edited:
Those raccoons have some big cajones. :D

Yeah, they tend to. We used to have a raccoon that would come out and sit on the fence at night, just to piss off the dogs who couldn't get to him.

Back
Top Bottom