• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rabbi Lapin.

So according to conservative Jewish commentator Rabbi Daniel Lapin, atheists are a "parasite" on American politics and culture. Nice. But no one on the right has any interest in establishing an American theocracy...
Well now. I'm politically astute and I live in both the United States and Israel. I've never heard of Rabbi Lapin.

This is reminiscent of the same sleaziness used by Islamophobes to push their anti-Muslim agenda.

Is your tune going to change now?

Barack Obama on Gay and Lesbian Rights - Where does Barack Obama Stand for Gays and Lesbians

Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

Oh......and Jim Wallis is Obama's head spiritual advisor. Read up on him too.

So according to conservative Jewish commentator Rabbi Daniel Lapin, atheists are a "parasite" on American politics and culture.

The funny thing is, he's right. As an atheist, I can certainly say that we are indeed a parasite on American politics and culture because our politics and culture are a mix of secularism and religion. Like any unchecked parasite, our growing numbers are dangerous to the religious plasma coursing through America's veins. Look at it from his perspective. America is becoming more accepting of homosexuality, and now it's to the point that we are flirting with gay marriage being legalized entirely. There are pushes from many people to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, and to get his name removed from our currency. Faculty-led Christian prayer is no longer a part of public schools, and we are encouraging children to have safe-sex as opposed to preaching abstinence. Extremely religious politicians find it increasingly more difficult year after year to garner support due to their endorsement of highly conservative social policy. And that's just some of the things I can think of right off the bat.

Of course, 'parasite' depends on your point of view. If you wish to live in a state that enjoys a more theocratic view, then atheists are indeed a parasite. If, however, you think the religious infestation has been the problem, then I suppose atheism is simply medication.

So, I guess the main question is why is all of this taking place? There are many reasons, but the one I hear the most from the religious is because "America is moving away from God", which I take to mean that folks are simply choosing not to believe, rather than joining another religion. While I don't believe that atheists are that big of a demographic, I do think that our voices are strong enough to influence the masses towards more secular political positions. In addition, I think many of these positions are becoming more and more popular - gay marriage, for example.

Anyhow, I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Oh......and Jim Wallis is Obama's head spiritual advisor. Read up on him too.

Jim Wallis is a far cry from Rabbi Lapin and the other evangelicals who met with GWB in the White House, no matter how you try and spin it. And at any rate, as far as I can tell, heading the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships isn't exactly the same thing as weekly prayer meetings in the oval office.

Is your tune going to change now?

Barack Obama on Gay and Lesbian Rights - Where does Barack Obama Stand for Gays and Lesbians

Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

Yeah, and I disagree with his official position on same-sex marriage. What's your point?

Jim Wallis is a far cry from Rabbi Lapin and the other evangelicals who met with GWB in the White House, no matter how you try and spin it. And at any rate, as far as I can tell, heading the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships isn't exactly the same thing as weekly prayer meetings in the oval office.

You obviously don't know much about Jim Wallis and his organization. They're using a perverted version of Christ's message to create policy. Notice how many liberals are suddenly using Jesus as their crutch?

What would Jesus do?....he'd vote for people to have health insurance.
What would Jesus do?....he'd vote for redistribution of wealth
What would Jesus do?....he'd vote for the second bill of rights that says what the government is supposed to do for you - give you housing, food, jobs, entertainment $$

Weird how liberals who screamed about "the religious right" using their faith to shape policy are now doing it themselves.

And perhaps at a later time we can discuss that Jesus wouldn't vote at all....

Back
Top Bottom