• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

R.N.C. Signals a Pullout From Presidential Debates

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
By Maggie Haberman
Jan. 13, 2022
12:29 p.m. ET

The Republican National Committee is preparing to change its rules to require presidential candidates seeking the party’s nomination to sign a pledge to not participate in any debates sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

Republican committee officials alerted the debate commission to their plans in a letter sent on Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times. If the change goes forward, it would be one of the most substantial shifts in how presidential and vice-presidential debates have been conducted since the commission began organizing debates more than 30 years ago.

The nonprofit commission, founded by the two parties in 1987 to codify the debates as a permanent part of presidential elections, describes itself as nonpartisan. But Republicans have complained for nearly a decade that its processes favor the Democrats, mirroring increasing rancor from conservatives toward Washington-based institutions.

The move by the R.N.C. was an outgrowth of those long-held complaints and came after months of discussions between the commission and party officials. According to the R.N.C.’s letter, the chairman of the party’s temporary presidential debate committee, David Bossie, began discussions last year with the debate commission’s co-chairman, Frank Fahrenkopf, a former Republican official.

The Republican Party chairwoman, Ronna McDaniel, had demanded that changes be made to the commission and how the debates were held, writing in a letter to the commission in June that the party and its voters had lost faith in the commission.

Disgusting anti-democratic, unstatesmanlike behavior by the Republican Party (which increasingly becomes more and more fascist).

I understand they are considering turning over the process to the World Wide Wrestling Federation, but the Democrats are complaining that because this is primarily a venue for entertainment with a close relationship to Donald Trump, it gives the Republicans an unfair advantage.

By Maggie Haberman
Jan. 13, 2022
12:29 p.m. ET

The Republican National Committee is preparing to change its rules to require presidential candidates seeking the party’s nomination to sign a pledge to not participate in any debates sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

Republican committee officials alerted the debate commission to their plans in a letter sent on Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times. If the change goes forward, it would be one of the most substantial shifts in how presidential and vice-presidential debates have been conducted since the commission began organizing debates more than 30 years ago.

The nonprofit commission, founded by the two parties in 1987 to codify the debates as a permanent part of presidential elections, describes itself as nonpartisan. But Republicans have complained for nearly a decade that its processes favor the Democrats, mirroring increasing rancor from conservatives toward Washington-based institutions.

The move by the R.N.C. was an outgrowth of those long-held complaints and came after months of discussions between the commission and party officials. According to the R.N.C.’s letter, the chairman of the party’s temporary presidential debate committee, David Bossie, began discussions last year with the debate commission’s co-chairman, Frank Fahrenkopf, a former Republican official.

The Republican Party chairwoman, Ronna McDaniel, had demanded that changes be made to the commission and how the debates were held, writing in a letter to the commission in June that the party and its voters had lost faith in the commission.

Disgusting anti-democratic, unstatesmanlike behavior by the Republican Party (which increasingly becomes more and more fascist).
shrug...

Very few people watch debates anymore. They just wait and see what their favorite biased news/opinion source says about it...with appropriate out of context video/sound bites.

No great loss.

I think they are making the mistake the online left did in the 2000s-2016 online space. There was this idea that you shouldn't engage with far right talking points because they are self evidently false and anyone that believes them isn't your ally anyway.

What followed was predictable. YouTube was dominated by far right politics, and we say the creation of what we now call the "alt-right pipeline".

The formation of "breadtube" and online leftist debate youtubers has created a significant amount of pushback to far right ideas and an alternative to "Ben Shapiro destroys 17 year old college student who is politically uneducated and untrained in public speaking".

If I was the Democrats, I would schedule the debate anyway, wait for the GOP candidate to inevitably not show up, then try to paint them as a coward/spin a narrative that they have no new ideas or answers to hard questions. After that I'd fill the rest of the time and publicity by talking about how good my policies will be without any pushback. Easy PR win.

Trumps didn’t even show up to one of the debates last time. For all the good it did him.

No great loss.
Reposting what I already wrote, but I think this would be a massive loss for the GOP.
If I was the Democrats, I would schedule the debate anyway, wait for the GOP candidate to inevitably not show up, then try to paint them as a coward/spin a narrative that they have no new ideas or answers to hard questions. After that I'd fill the rest of the time and publicity by talking about how good my policies will be without any pushback. Easy PR win.

I noticed they didn't say they didn't want to have debates.

But that they're considering boycotting the commission that has been organizing them.

The nonprofit commission, founded by the two parties in 1987 to codify the debates as a permanent part of presidential elections, describes itself as nonpartisan. But Republicans have complained for nearly a decade that its processes favor the Democrats

The GQP has firmly grasped the moniker of "the victim." This is but more supporting evidence.

They gave gone so bad shit extreme that anything centrist, balanced or moderate seems like it's "left" to them.

I am telling you folks, this GQP WILL end democracy as we have know it in the USA. They will fell "the great experiment."

If you are a true American, America first, you have an obligation to fight them them tooth and nail.

You are confusing thinking people with the low intellect imbeciles that are Trump ass kissers.
Not at all. I'm just being honest about Americans.

The way this term is being tossed around these days, I suspect it will soon lose all meaning.

Not wanting to have your debates organized by this commission is in no way "anti-democratic."
They don't know what the words mean anymore. They have their word of the week or month, and then flog it to death.
Everything is anti-democrtic.
Everyone is Hilter.
Everything is Fascism.

It's all vacuous ranting and finger pointing.

I noticed they didn't say they didn't want to have debates.

But that they're considering boycotting the commission that has been organizing them.
That's because you read for actual content. TDS affects this somehow, and disables the ability to apply critical thinking skills.

I agree with the RNC. Debates have been useless. And rigged.

Back
Top Bottom