• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Tom Clancey

I too would like to express my condolences to his family and wish him peace. I too have enjoyed his writing. Considering the number of deaths in the writer community lately, I sure hope there are still some good, thrilling, authors left for me to enjoy in my retirement.

I bet the Russians did it. They were tired of him slandering them. :lol:

He will be missed.

My favorite author by far. Read a good percentage of his books, and loved his OpCenter and NetForce series.

Truly a talent lost - he had such a nack for conveying those gripping military dramas in print. An author who certainly will be missed.

I bet the Russians did it. They were tired of him slandering them. :lol:

He will be missed.

Honestly from what I read of his books (about half of the Ryanverse) I didn't think his outlook on the Russians were all that negative.

He was one of the first authors I really got into as a kid. I'm not entirely sure but I think I have read all his books. RIP. :(

The line I will always remember from the movie: Hunt for Red October.

Admiral Painter: What's his plan?
Ryan: Plan sir?
Admiral Painter: Russians don't take a dump, son without a plan.

He was one of the first authors I really got into as a kid. I'm not entirely sure but I think I have read all his books. RIP. :(

If you missed any:

Tom Clancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also many other books under the Tom Clancy trademark umbrella that are written by other authors. He also wrote several non-fiction books.

My introduction to Tom Clancy was sitting in a muddy foxhole in Hohenfels, Germany pretending to fight the Russians coming down through the Fulda Gap while read Tom Clancy writing about NATO forces fighting the Russian forces coming down through the Fulda Gap.

Since then I've read every Tom Clancy-proper novel (all that Netforce and Ops Gear stuff struck me as nonsense and wasn't really written by him in any event).

Last edited:
Damn. I realize it's not everyone's favorite, but I loved Red Storm Rising. It was fantastic, and I will miss him.

Damn. I realize it's not everyone's favorite, but I loved Red Storm Rising. It was fantastic, and I will miss him.

I've reread that book a dozen or more times and it never gets old.

R.I.P.

I loved the Harry Potter series.

Big fan of the Siphon Filter video games. FPS shooter games with an actual plot, spy stuff, stealthy, very challenging. Not a time management buy stuff game, very high quality. I haven't played in a few years because I don't have the time, but something I am looking forward to in retirement. I'm that guy who will buy a retro PS3 or something 10 years from now to play it.

"The only way to do all the things you'd like to do is to read.”

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

“I tell them you learn to write the same way you learn to play golf. You do it, and keep doing it until you get it right. A lot of people think something mystical happens to you, that maybe the muse kisses you on the ear. But writing isn’t divinely inspired — it’s hard work.”

"Fundamentally, I think of myself as a storyteller, not a writer."

“Beware the fury of a patient man.”

“She didn't strike me as a ‘crossword in ink’ kind of girl.”

“(Stereotyping) is only for those without the imagination to see people as they are instead of being like someone else they understand.” Tom Clancey

Loved his movies. Hated trying to trudge through one of his books.

Back
Top Bottom