• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

R.I.P. Jerry Jeff Walker

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
That is so sad to hear. First we loss John Prine and now Jerry Jeff.
One of my favorite concerts was seeing Walker and band. I still remember when he asked if anyone in the audience had another request and someone yelled out "All Along The Watchtower" which caused Jerry Jeff to break out in laughter.

Here is one of his songs later in life.

RIP my friend.

I've always considered "Mr. Bojangles" to be one of the best-written songs that depict Americana. The language, the setting, the story--they all paint a vivid picture in a very memorable way.

My prayers are with his family and friends.

Jerry Jeff Walker, the “Mr. Bojangles” songwriter and a pioneer of the “cosmic cowboy” sound that would evolve into outlaw country, died Friday after a long battle with throat cancer. He was 78. Walker’s publicist confirmed his death to Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...jangles-outlaw-country-dead-obituary-1080617/

He has a song I recall well that was a hit. Mr Bojangles. Well every human dies at his or her final point. I always liked his singing.

I was a big fan. Got to see him live once, I was a bit leery because he ruined a lot of concerts by being entirely too drunk. He opened for another great performer, Jerry Riopelle, who sadly we lost a few years ago.

Great show, great music.

" Like the protagonist in “Redneck Mother,” Walker himself was known for volatility, both onstage and off (the inspiration for “Mr. Bojangles” came from a chance meeting with a street performer in a New Orleans drunk tank). His concerts were often unpredictable. “An act that was full of thrills and suspense” is how the late Texas journalist Bud Shrake described Walker’s shows, comparing them to NASCAR races." https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...jangles-outlaw-country-dead-obituary-1080617/

Some of my best of friends describe me as someone who attracts Crazies. No wonder Jerry Jeff Walker and his music appeal to me! Condolences to all who loved him.

In my teen years, I listened to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version of Mr. Bojangles countless times!

I just listened to Rogue's clip of "Mr. Bojangles" in post #5, and it reminded me of a great line that always chokes me up . . .

"The dog up and died . . . After twenty years, he still grieves."

That's poetry.

My good friend Gina knows all the words to every Jerry Jeff song. We discovered by chance that we could quote line and verse from Jerry Jeff songs.

Thanks to another good friend and music lover, nota, for posting this thread. Jerry Jeff will live on forever through his songs.

Sorry, I confused live LA Freeway with Redneck Mother. I prefer the live versions of both. This live version of Redneck Mother includes Willie and Larry Mahan.

Jerry Jeff, thank you. You are already greatly missed.

Adios, and safe journey.

One more. My favorite live Jerry Jeff song, and there are many:

Rest in peace, Jerry Jeff Walker.

His live version will always be one of my favorites. Also, his live version of Redneck Mother including Willie and even Larry Mahan was/is a classic.

Here's 1977/New Orleans:

As for "Redneck Mother," it surely inspires singing along, doesn't it? ;)

Here's 1977/New Orleans:

As for "Redneck Mother," it surely inspires singing along, doesn't it? ;)

My dad was born in Oklahoma and his wife 's (my mom) name was Betty. He wore a cowboy hat and drove a pickup truck. And he liked to drink beer.

Always been fond of that song.

My dad was born in Oklahoma and his wife 's (my mom) name was Betty. He wore a cowboy hat and drove a pickup truck. And he liked to drink beer.

Always been fond of that song.

I loved the lines "Say goodbye to the landlord for me/Sons-of-bitches always bore me" and "Love's a gift that's truly handmade."

Some of my best of friends describe me as someone who attracts Crazies. No wonder Jerry Jeff Walker and his music appeal to me! Condolences to all who loved him.

In my teen years, I listened to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version of Mr. Bojangles countless times!

In some circles this is called an “asshole magnet!”

I loved the lines "Say goodbye to the landlord for me/Sons-of-bitches always bore me" and "Love's a gift that's truly handmade."
Am not 100% certain but I believe in all of history there isn't another song with the line "The moldy box of Vanilla Wafers "

JERRYJEF.jpg

Back
Top Bottom