• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Douglas Rain, voice of infamous sentient computer 'HAL' in Kubrick film '2001 - A Space....

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...pace-odyssey-dead_us_5be8b532e4b0769d24ceb636

Douglas Rain, Voice Of HAL In ‘2001: A Space Odyssey,’ Is Dead At 90

A classically trained actor, Rain was one of the founders of the Stratford Festival in Ontario, Canada.

Douglas Rain, the Canadian actor who was the voice of HAL 9000 in the Stanley Kubrick classic film “2001: A Space Odyssey,” died Sunday in Stratford, Ontario. He was 90.

His death was announced in a news release from the Stratford Festival, a repertory theater festival in Canada. Rain was one of the founders of the festival.
================================
My avatar weeps at this loss.

Hah! I just realized your avatar is Hal! Duh ...

Open the pod bay door, please, HAL. I wonder if those words will be on his headstone.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...pace-odyssey-dead_us_5be8b532e4b0769d24ceb636

A classically trained actor, Rain was one of the founders of the Stratford Festival in Ontario, Canada.

Douglas Rain, the Canadian actor who was the voice of HAL 9000 in the Stanley Kubrick classic film “2001: A Space Odyssey,” died Sunday in Stratford, Ontario. He was 90.

His death was announced in a news release from the Stratford Festival, a repertory theater festival in Canada. Rain was one of the founders of the festival.
One of my favorite movies of all time by my favorite director of all time.

Did you know Kubrick hired Clarke to write the book. It was Kubrick story. He then changed things in the movie. He purposely made the two things different. Kubrick was an absolute genius of the cinema

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

One of Film's Most Chilling Voices Is Gone

One of Film's Most Chilling Voices Is Gone

Douglas Rain voiced HAL in '2001: A Space Odyssey'

(NEWSER) – Canadian actor Douglas Rain never appeared before the camera in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but anyone who's seen the movie will vividly remember him anyway. Rain provided the voice for the HAL 9000 computer, which eventually turns against the human astronauts when it realizes they intend to disconnect him. "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that," Rain informs astronaut Dave Bowman when Bowman famously asks him to open the pod bay doors (see the movie clip here). Rain has died at age 90, reports the BBC. The news was announced by the Stratford Festival, of which Rain was a founding member.
========================================
Famous video clip: HAL has some bad news for astronaut Dave.

Trivia... HAL is IBM one letter further in the alphabet. Intentionally so.

Back
Top Bottom