• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Quitting smoking. How did you do it?

Take it from a 68 year old man whose wife's ( also 68) only major vice in life was smoking cigs too hard and too long, to stop. Otherwise, she may very well eventually find out the hard way, that not being able to climb 7 steps without have to stop to catcher her breath, spending 100's of dollars a month for inhalers and other meds, and needing O2 tanks to function; it simply isn't worth it. Have her go visit a COPD support group, and see and listen to those who will enlighten her as to what very well may lie ahead in her golden years.
Exactly right. Fortunately, I've got good insurance as Combivent inhalers cost $400 a pop, daily nebulizer medication even more, and although Medicare pays for the oxygen machine, it's no fun being tied to it with a tube.

People, if you are still smoking, please, please stop.

Exactly right. Fortunately, I've got good insurance as Combivent inhalers cost $400 a pop, daily nebulizer medication even more, and although Medicare pays for the oxygen machine, it's no fun being tied to it with a tube.

People, if you are still smoking, please, please stop.
Wise advice!

I finally quit shortly after 9/11. I used to smoke outside the house as it was brand new in 2000. I had quit once for a five year stretch and thought I could ‘smoke just one.’ I was back on cartons within two weeks.

9/11 sticks out because our house is under a major east coast flight path. My last smoke of the evening correlated with about five large planes visible from light up to last puff; that evening the absence of the airplanes was goose-bump inducing.

I used to fool with cigars, after quitting. I just can’t get the taste gone for three days after.

It amazing how much better the sense of smell is, I can smell a smoker from far away….
Congrats!!

For me, it was pretty damn easy. When I was a little kid, my parents, both smokers, would roll the windows up in the car if it was cold, or in the summer, when they would turn on the A/C. Gave me headaches, and made me nauseous, and it stunk. Then, when I was about 11, on a dare, I tried some chewing tobacco. No one told me you were supposed to spit it out. I was green for a week. Just the thought of using/consuming tobacco products would, and still does, make me nauseous.
Glad you found out early.

I quit smoking last year. I realized that it was too bad and so I tried my best to overcome it. And I succeeded! I just thought about my future children and decided that I should not smoke.I really care about my health because it's very important for me. I often go for walks, run every morning, go to the gym and try to eat right - I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, I drink various vitamins from Canadian pharmacy . Quarantine has had a very bad effect on me and my health. I was not able to work out in the gym so I tried to do as much exercise at home. But now everything is fine!
Congrats!

First, its one bad habit i never too up. Was it hard? How did you do it? I admire anyone who has quit and congratualtions for doing so.

I smoked at least 2 packs a day, about 50 cigarettes. One day I looked at the cigarette in my hand, said to myself "You are an idiot for smoking" and stopped. I never had another one and that was 34 years ago. I chewed lollies (fruit tingles) for about 2 weeks every time I wanted a cigarette. Cold turkey and you have to want to stop...only way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom