• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Quitting smoking: Easy-Peasy with the right drug management...

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was talking to a doctor about smoking. He explained to me that smokers are very picky about the amount of nicotine in their system. When monitored, smokers will smoke another cigarette when their nicotine level drops to their minimum level -- inhaling more deeply until it's on target again, then finishing the cigarette with shallower inhales.

Chantix and other smokers' quitting medications deliver a set dosage of nicotine to one's system, dropping it down gradually until one is weaned from the physical addiction. But it's one-size-fits-all.

Why isn't this medication tailored to the individual? That would seem to be a no-brainer. Your thoughts?

I used the patches back before they were even on the market. But I always tell people I just switched to crack for a while to take the edge off quitting cigarettes.

I couple people I know who used Chantix had some bad things to say about the drug. Just do it cold turkey.

I was talking to a doctor about smoking. He explained to me that smokers are very picky about the amount of nicotine in their system. When monitored, smokers will smoke another cigarette when their nicotine level drops to their minimum level -- inhaling more deeply until it's on target again, then finishing the cigarette with shallower inhales.

Chantix and other smokers' quitting medications deliver a set dosage of nicotine to one's system, dropping it down gradually until one is weaned from the physical addiction. But it's one-size-fits-all.

Why isn't this medication tailored to the individual? That would seem to be a no-brainer. Your thoughts?

Maggie, I agree with Fisher in post 3
Before I quit smoking I looked into Chantix
and the side effect possibilities scared me to death,
not to mention the $$.

Cold turkey is what I did,succeeded after several tries.

Good Luck if you're trying to quit !!

Yea, it aint easy, but it is sure worth it.
Maggie, I agree with Fisher in post 3
Before I quit smoking I looked into Chantix
and the side effect possibilities scared me to death,
not to mention the $$.

Cold turkey is what I did,succeeded after several tries.

Good Luck if you're trying to quit !!

I'm almost a bot for the Allen Carr book. It pulled me out of the habit five years ago.

A better question today is "why do people start in the first place?".

I won't hold it against Maggie because she's old enough to be in that James Dean Rebel Without a Cause era where all the "cool" guys tucked a pack of smokes into the sleeve of their plain white tees.

I figure just let the Boomers die off and the problem fixes itself. People my age and other Gen-Xers dumb enough to start smoking these days probably deserve their fates. We have Surgeon General's warnings, smoking parents telling them not to start with firsthand knowledge of what it does, and a society long past thinking that smoking is cool. People that start up now...well, you've been warned umpteen times. Go die quietly in that corner over there.

Heya Maggie. :2wave: I am going thru some of this now. As I started those E Cigs. But I was going to talk to the Doc about some other medications they have. As that Chantrix and its side effects. I just don't want to deal with. As is I have years of trouble sleeping. From Sleep Deprivation training until I got out and ever since then. Course when I was younger I could sleep a bit more. But I am lucky if I can get over 5hrs of sleep. Usually in on 4 only.

Plus a few have told about some of the Wild dreams they have had.

I quit with chantix... loved it... worked like a charm... not side effects at all really ( the dreams i had were awesome on chantix , though... lucid dreams..a.w.e.s.o.m.e.)

then I went back to smoking because i discovered that I really like smoking.

Never smoked a day in my life but I'm willing to guess that smoking is like any other addiction and the only way to break such an addiction is to somehow get the better of your own mind - it makes no difference if it's food addictions, smoking, gambling, alcohol, etc. - they all have you in their grip because your mind speaks to you, rationalizes a benign need and convinces you that the addiction is not an addiction at all, it's a harmless pleasure, until you succome and then your mind ridicules you for being so weak and giving in and so you give in further because what the hell, you're a worthless human being anyway.

Breaking that grip is what breaks the addiction - without willpower, no drug or other artificial means will ever help you overcome.

I quit with chantix... loved it... worked like a charm... not side effects at all really ( the dreams i had were awesome on chantix , though... lucid dreams..a.w.e.s.o.m.e.)

Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote something along the lines of "Quitting Tobacco is so easy, I do it several times a day."

The couple of people I know who didn't like it said that it made them paranoid and they couldn't sleep because of all the weird dreams/nightmares they were having. One started smoking as soon as they quit Chantix. The other says something along the lines of "I am glad I quit smoking, but I would never take that drug ever again."

Heya Maggie. :2wave: I am going thru some of this now. As I started those E Cigs. But I was going to talk to the Doc about some other medications they have. As that Chantrix and its side effects. I just don't want to deal with. As is I have years of trouble sleeping. From Sleep Deprivation training until I got out and ever since then. Course when I was younger I could sleep a bit more. But I am lucky if I can get over 5hrs of sleep. Usually in on 4 only.

Plus a few have told about some of the Wild dreams they have had.

Not to dissuade you from trying to quit but I'd suggest you read up on the electronic cigs - I read in the paper not long ago that they claim the chemicals in them can be just as carcinogenic as regular cigs if not more so.

Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote something along the lines of "Quitting Tobacco is so easy, I do it several times a day."

The couple of people I know who didn't like it said that it made them paranoid and they couldn't sleep because of all the weird dreams/nightmares they were having. One started smoking as soon as they quit Chantix. The other says something along the lines of "I am glad I quit smoking, but I would never take that drug ever again."

I had a buddy who hated Chantix too... the dreams scared him and he felt "in a fog" all the time.

after about 3 weeks of taking them, i had my first badass dream...I couldn't wait to have more after that first one.
if i could find a legal drug that would just give those badass scary dreams, I'd be a happy camper.

Never smoked a day in my life but I'm willing to guess that smoking is like any other addiction and the only way to break such an addiction is to somehow get the better of your own mind - it makes no difference if it's food addictions, smoking, gambling, alcohol, etc. - they all have you in their grip because your mind speaks to you, rationalizes a benign need and convinces you that the addiction is not an addiction at all, it's a harmless pleasure, until you succome and then your mind ridicules you for being so weak and giving in and so you give in further because what the hell, you're a worthless human being anyway.

Breaking that grip is what breaks the addiction - without willpower, no drug or other artificial means will ever help you overcome.

Heya CJ. :2wave: I would agree it starts with willpower. I have quit a couple of times for a few years at a time too. Then went back. Last time Started after 3 years with my ex. Now I want to get rid of them for good. I have cut down.....I smoke outside my house now. Nothing inside. Same with my car. Got rid of the ashtrays out of the house too. Anything to make it more difficult to smoke. As now it is the Nicotine and those 4000 other chemicals they use nowadays I have to get round.

nobody likes a quitter ;)

Not to dissuade you from trying to quit but I'd suggest you read up on the electronic cigs - I read in the paper not long ago that they claim the chemicals in them can be just as carcinogenic as regular cigs if not more so.

Yeah CJ.....Smoke and Mirrors was telling us. We had a Thread up on it. Definitely has made me watching out for the ones I have.

Course should it blow up in my hand when I am standing out in the Sun. After I get my new hand. I will be able to come and visit ya. :lol:

I'm with you. Over the years I've quit multiple times - even for years at a time - but then, one day, there's something that tells me I need a cigarette and I'm back at it.

Heya CJ. :2wave: I would agree it starts with willpower. I have quit a couple of times for a few years at a time too. Then went back. Last time Started after 3 years with my ex. Now I want to get rid of them for good. I have cut down.....I smoke outside my house now. Nothing inside. Same with my car. Got rid of the ashtrays out of the house too. Anything to make it more difficult to smoke. As now it is the Nicotine and those 4000 other chemicals they use nowadays I have to get round.

I wish you all the best MMC - I've known lots of people over the years who have struggled with it. My sister-in-law was a heavy smoker but when she had twins 33 years ago she started to cut down and then as the kids got to be 5/6 they and their dad started hounding her to quit and she finally just gave up fighting and quit cold turkey. She was a bean pole while smoking and after smoking she ballooned up to twice the size and hasn't been able to effectively lose the weight - this is a problem with a lot of women and why many go back to smoking. But she never went back and she's a happy tubby in her old age and there's no sign of her smoker's cough and her lungs have self-healed. So it can be done and it's a great accomplishment if you can do it.

The one person I know who took Chantix did ultimately quit smoking. But she had to quit the Chantix because it made her crazy--rages and suicidal impulses, and she had to go into therapy for a bit. Every time I hear those commercials and the scary warnings, I think of her.

I'm with you. Over the years I've quit multiple times - even for years at a time - but then, one day, there's something that tells me I need a cigarette and I'm back at it.

Yep Luther.....for me it was the Ex and 3 years in. That's all it took. ;)

Course should they tell us the earth will be destroyed in 48hrs no ifs, ands, or buts, about it. There will be me, telling me, go ahead it will be alright, now! Might even have to try a specialty blend. :lol:

The one person I know who took Chantix did ultimately quit smoking. But she had to quit the Chantix because it made her crazy--rages and suicidal impulses, and she had to go into therapy for a bit. Every time I hear those commercials and the scary warnings, I think of her.

i've heard some scary stories of the stuff... but what can i say, I loved the stuff.
<shrugs> no one ever accused me of being normal:lol:

The patches caused horrible or horribly good dreams. I remember one of the people in my group quit because she dreamed she ate her dog. I think she dreamed it, she was a basket case after that. I wonder if that is just nicotine withdrawl.

I wish you all the best MMC - I've known lots of people over the years who have struggled with it. My sister-in-law was a heavy smoker but when she had twins 33 years ago she started to cut down and then as the kids got to be 5/6 they and their dad started hounding her to quit and she finally just gave up fighting and quit cold turkey. She was a bean pole while smoking and after smoking she ballooned up to twice the size and hasn't been able to effectively lose the weight - this is a problem with a lot of women and why many go back to smoking. But she never went back and she's a happy tubby in her old age and there's no sign of her smoker's cough and her lungs have self-healed. So it can be done and it's a great accomplishment if you can do it.

Yep, my Grandmother Smoked for over 50 years and then quit Cold Turkey. Never had any problems from Smoking until she hit her late 80s. When she passed at 91. They said it had been affecting her breathing for those last two years.

She always said that she would always want a Cig. Especially with Coffee. Never stopped wanting or the desire. But that she would get busy and keep it out of her mind until the urge passed. Which after time she said decreased with the urges being strong. Like she had to have one.

That's my next step.....to cut coffee. That one will be tuff as I work out in the Winter. Which I drink the stuff all day long then. Just can't get into drinking Hot Chocolate all the time or Tea.

Yep, my Grandmother Smoked for over 50 years and then quit Cold Turkey. Never had any problems from Smoking until she hit her late 80s. When she passed at 91. They said it had been affecting her breathing for those last two years.

She always said that she would always want a Cig. Especially with Coffee. Never stopped wanting or the desire. But that she would get busy and keep it out of her mind until the urge passed. Which after time she said decreased with the urges being strong. Like she had to have one.

That's my next step.....to cut coffee. That one will be tuff as I work out in the Winter. Which I drink the stuff all day long then. Just can't get into drinking Hot Chocolate all the time or Tea.

Why give up coffee - it's good for you - even the decaf kind has healthy plant phenols/flavonoids and the antioxidant effects are quit beneficial. You just have to find a way to break the connection between coffee and smoking - maybe a cinnamon stick or a skinny biscotti with the coffee would be a good mental substitute.

It's a manufactured item. If it was compounded you could have the dose tailored to the individual, but to my knowledge no pharmacy compounds Chantix and there isn't much of a demand for that.

Back
Top Bottom