• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Quinn signs bill limiting employment credit checks

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called Governor Quinns office yesterday and said that there is a bill sitting on his desk that would disallow businesses to check the credit for pre-employment individuals... House Bill 4658... Bill may ban pre-employment credit checks and its been sitting there for many weeks. I then stated that it would be VERY beneficial to the people of Illinois plus very popular too. I urged him to sign it. (might have even said 'please' )

Guess what I heard on the radio today :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quinn signs bill limiting employment credit checks | abc7chicago.com

August 10, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- People with bad credit will have one less thing to worry about when they're looking for a new job.

Gov. Pat Quinn signed a new law Tuesday that prohibits employers from using a person's credit history when it comes to getting a job.

However, one of the bill's sponsors says there are exceptions to the new law, including people who work in banking and insurance because they have access to confidential financial information. There are other exceptions as well.

Quinn says the bill aims to prevent employers from discriminating against would-be workers because they have bad credit in a tough economy.

Supporters of the bill say the unemployed are trapped in a cycle where they can't pay their bills without a job but can't get a job because they have bad credit.

(Copyright ©2010 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2dancing:

Last edited:
Good. It is none of an employer's business what my credit history is.

Good. My credit is no company's damn business.

One of many good reasons to not have a IL based company. ;)

However, one of the bill's sponsors says there are exceptions to the new law, including people who work in banking and insurance because they have access to confidential financial information. There are other exceptions as well.

This has been the case for years as part of financial regulations. I even had to certify that I haven't been convicted of any financial-related crimes before I was hired at my job (in the finance industry). And I don't even give advice or manage funds.

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called Governor Quinns office yesterday and said that there is a bill sitting on his desk that would disallow businesses to check the credit for pre-employment individuals... House Bill 4658... Bill may ban pre-employment credit checks and its been sitting there for many weeks. I then stated that it would be VERY beneficial to the people of Illinois plus very popular too. I urged him to sign it. (might have even said 'please' )

August 10, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- People with bad credit will have one less thing to worry about when they're looking for a new job.

Gov. Pat Quinn signed a new law Tuesday that prohibits employers from using a person's credit history when it comes to getting a job.

Quinn says the bill aims to prevent employers from discriminating against would-be workers because they have bad credit in a tough economy.

Supporters of the bill say the unemployed are trapped in a cycle where they can't pay their bills without a job but can't get a job because they have bad credit.

I think Colorado needs the same law.

God I always wanted to make a difference. I dont have 100% proof that my call DID make that difference but I would love to think so. I called 2x a week to my Reps for 2 months to get this Bill introduced. Not sure I even made a difference there.

Either way I am overjoyed. I am sitting on a cloud...... tonight.
What inspired me to call yesterday? http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls...-should-companies-able-check-your-credit.html

Geeez.... I freakin' love this forum!!!! :2grouphug

Hopefully other states will follow suit. Employers have no business infringing or extorting potential employees to look at private information.

Youre a Creditist! :tomato:

Seriously though... you dont deserve to have a job based on ignorance. :roll:
I am a hirer, not a hiree.

We do full background checks, including credit, on all employees before hire and periodically thereafter. If you don't like it, don't apply for a job with us. ;)

We do full background checks, including credit, on all employees before hire and periodically thereafter. If you don't like it, don't apply for a job with us. ;)

You're a white collar criminal and you should be ashamed of yourself.

You being an employer does not entitle you to extort private information from an employee. If you are lending money then you should be able to do a credit check on those you are lending money to.

Last edited:
You're a white collar criminal and you should be ashamed of yourself.
:boohoo: I am so sad. Vader called me a white collar criminal. :boohoo:

:rofl

Last edited:
You being an employer does not entitle you to extort or dig into private information of an employee that has nothing to do with the job someone is applying for. If you are lending money then you should be able to do a credit check on those you are lending money to.
As I said, if you don't like it, you don't have to work for our company. :2wave:

As I said, if you don't like it, you don't have to work for our company. :2wave:

If other states follow Illinois' lead you will not get to extort private information such as credit information from employees and potential employees.

Last edited:
:boohoo: i am so sad. Vader called me a white collar criminal. :boohoo:

I dont feel your company is criminal. I feel they used a tool that was legal at the time. Well.... its still legal for you. They were using a tool. A tool that should have never been available. You can not judge a person on their PERSONAL credit. Should not.
Maybe we should judge you (if we were a comapny) on your parents. On their background. On their problems. On their past. On your weight. On your religion. On your medical history? On your kids grades.

Where and when does it stop?
But credit is even a more nefarious creature.
You see, sir.... YOUR personal life should be..... PERSONAL. Just go to work.... work your ass off and keep on keeping on. ;)

Companies like yours are on the way out. The American people are taking this country back. Companies like yours will soon be a thing of the past.

I dont feel your company is criminal. I feel they used a tool that was legal at the time. Well.... its still legal for you. They were using a tool. A tool that should have never been available. You can not judge a person on their PERSONAL credit. Should not.
Maybe we should judge you (if we were a comapny) on your parents. On their background. On their problems. On their past. On your weight. On your religion. On your medical history? On your kids grades.

Where and when does it stop?
But credit is even a more nefarious creature.
You see, sir.... YOUR personal life should be..... PERSONAL. Just go to work.... work your ass off and keep on keeping on. ;)
Our clients always check us out, including our employees that will be working on their account. :doh

We do not what irresponsible people. Again, no one is forced to work for us. I would add that we get most of our new hires from current employee referrals.

Last edited:
Companies like yours are on the way out. The American people are taking this country back. Companies like yours will soon be a thing of the past.

Only if the law backs up common sense morals. Look..... people NEED jobs. The more we ALL subject to this credit checking, the more it will be accepted.
For a LONG time, I actually respect the government. :shock:

:boohoo: If you say so. I am so sad. :boohoo:

Congratulations, Noodle. Good for you. Who can know if you made the difference? I'm sure business lobbied against it. Maybe you were the 10th or 100th person who bothered to call. G o o d f o r y o u ! ! !

Bad credit is a risk factor to an employer. People with bad credit are statistically more prone to theft of material goods, or deceptive character. It is not to say that everyone that has bad credit will steal, nor is it to suggest that people with bad credit are always deceptive, but it does correlate statistically.

Tim-

What, may I ask, does your business do and what do you usually hire people to do?

Bad credit is a risk factor to an employer. People with bad credit are statistically more prone to theft of material goods, or deceptive character. It is not to say that everyone that has bad credit will steal, nor is it to suggest that people with bad credit are always deceptive, but it does correlate statistically.
Can we see these statistics?

Last edited:
What, may I ask, does your business do and what do you usually hire people to do?

Can we see these statistics?

Here's one explaining the concept of loss due to poor credit scores. Loss is the key word here. Loss can take on any number of variables, but the SUM will always be a loss. It doesn't matter what industry you're in the concept is the same.

Excerpt:
Conclusion
This study analyzed a large random and representative sample of automobile insurance policies
from the Texas market to determine if: 1) credit history and losses were statistically related and 2)
whether such a relationship, if it exists, is explained by standard underwriting variables. The
analysis found that incurred losses on individual policies are statistically significantly related to
the credit score of policy’s named insured (see Chart 6). Additionally, incorporating
underwriting variables used by the companies through the use of relative loss ratios, it was found
that there was still a statistically significant relationship between credit score and the relative loss
ratio for policies (Charts 4, 5), so standard underwriting variables do not explain the observed
statistically significant relationship between credit scores and losses. (The correlation between
credit score and relative loss ratio is .95, which is extremely high and statistically significant.)
The lower a named insured’s credit score, the higher the probability that the insured will incur
losses on an automobile insurance policy, and the higher the expected loss on the policy.

Link

Tim-

Here's one explaining the concept of loss due to poor credit scores. Loss is the key word here. Loss can take on any number of variables, but the SUM will always be a loss. It doesn't matter what industry you're in the concept is the same.

Excerpt:

Link

Tim-
I dont think you can look at an ill-defined concept of loss from that and determine that those with lower credit scores are more likely to steal from you. There are many more studies to suggest that employees who feel unappreciated and mistreated are more likely to steal from an employer than those with low credit.

I object to credit checks because I see it as a form of economic discrimination and the check is usually out of context.

Back
Top Bottom