• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Quidditch becomes real sport

It's kind of funny for me (a non-sports enjoying person) to see the criteria for a 'serious sport'
Quiddich - as far as I am aware - is the only sport to have been conceived, with the rules and game play fully defined - before it was physically played.

Most other sports that are now official were crafted on the fly - in a hallway - or in an arena.

Most share something in common: get a ball into a goal.

I say we bring back Ullamaliztli or even Episkyros - fully in the buff, indeed!

All sports are stupid - come one. . . tossing a pig skin around (football). Jumping into water (diving). Rolling around on wheels (biciclying) and throwing a ball through a circle (basketball). Getting a flat disk into a net with a stick while wearing blades and dancing on ice (hockey). Driving around and around in big circles (racing).

All sports sound stupid. They're all just backyard games - but all sports are fun and many take them deadly serious.

Quidditch had quite the depiction of what it was before some looney tried to create it in real life without two of the main criteria: flying broomsticks and self-thinking balls. I have no earthly idea why my notion of calling it out on its stupidity is somehow alien.

So you're saying that his game is more legitimate because he made it up on the spot, rather than using source material?

Or perhaps more legitimate because said notions essential to the game did not include technology (or if you prefer, mythology) that in no way existed yet........

Last edited:
this isnt any dumber than the big nerds i see running around the park pretending some of them are zombies while the heroes shoot them with nerf guns.

They do that? Gah.

this isnt any dumber than the big nerds i see running around the park pretending some of them are zombies while the heroes shoot them with nerf guns.

Right, because having fun pretending is something that should be kept to X age group or Y demographic. :roll:

Maybe it is just because I am still a college student, but stuff like that doesn't seem so "bad" or "wrong"

Right, because having fun pretending is something that should be kept to X age group or Y demographic. :roll:Maybe it is just because I am still a college student, but stuff like that doesn't seem so "bad" or "wrong"

Exactly! Anyone playing a game of paintball is a nerd, because they're shooting each other with toy guns. They should be ashamed that they are playing a game with imaginary "casualties" and NOT using real guns! What a bunch of big sissies! :mrgreen:

Quidditch was a stupid sport even in the novels. The whole game was purposely designed to let Harry win regardless of what the team did. A sport designed to be fun for players would be more enjoyable than one designed for dramatic effect.

Right, because having fun pretending is something that should be kept to X age group or Y demographic. :roll:

Maybe it is just because I am still a college student, but stuff like that doesn't seem so "bad" or "wrong"
plz point out where i said it was bad or wrong. what i said is that it is dumb.

Back
Top Bottom