• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question regarding Biden calling Putin a war criminal...

Which best describes your personal opinion about Biden calling Putin a war criminal?

• This DOES put Biden on the spot as a possible war criminal if he takes no action.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biden intentionally said this as a ploy to get the US (or NATO) militarily involved in Ukraine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neil

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Biden called Putin a war criminal: https://news.yahoo.com/president-joe-biden-calls-russian-190355200.html

BTW not sure if this matters or not, but usually when someone's accused of a crime, the word "alleged" is used.

Anyhow I'm not going to dispute President Biden's allegation that Putin is a war criminal, but this could suggest that if Biden takes no action to do anything about this, then maybe this could make Biden an accessory to war crimes if he himself does nothing to put a stop or an end to Putin's aggression against Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.

I'll put more detail in the answers to the poll question, but I have to be very brief in the answers because there's a character limit for answers.

but this could suggest that if Biden takes no action to do anything about this, then maybe this could make Biden an accessory to war crimes if he himself does nothing to put a stop or an end to Putin's aggression against Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.
What? That's not how war crimes work. Where did you get this silly idea?

Putin is a war criminal.

Yep, he won't be visiting any civilized part of the world for the remainder of his life...too risky. I'm thinking Beijing, N. Korea, Antarctica Russian station, and Caracas are his foreign vacation choices.

Biden called Putin a war criminal: https://news.yahoo.com/president-joe-biden-calls-russian-190355200.html

BTW not sure if this matters or not, but usually when someone's accused of a crime, the word "alleged" is used.

Anyhow I'm not going to dispute President Biden's allegation that Putin is a war criminal, but this could suggest that if Biden takes no action to do anything about this, then maybe this could make Biden an accessory to war crimes if he himself does nothing to put a stop or an end to Putin's aggression against Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.

I'll put more detail in the answers to the poll question, but I have to be very brief in the answers because there's a character limit for answers.

This is sort of like saying if you witness a murder and call it in, you get arrested because you didn't personally attempt to tackle the murderer as he left.

Didn't vote because none of the choices worked for me. In my personal opinion, I wish he hadn't. While Putin is definitely a war criminal (targeting civilian populations), I would have preferred to wait until the conflict is over to start labeling.

A country doesn't just go charging in and act like police to stop war crimes. First, a bunch of people have to determine it really happened and then gather a bunch of people to stop it somehow. I believe this is done through an international body, not Twitter. The US doesn't just go galloping in with its lasso and 'stop it.'

There is no real enforcement mechanism, so the entire notion of international law is pretty silly.

this could suggest that if Biden takes no action to do anything about this, then maybe this could make Biden an accessory to war crimes if he himself does nothing to put a stop or an end to Putin's aggression against Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.
What a stupid comment. Russia is a nuclear power led by an unstable dictator. If we make the wrong move it could lead to a nuclear response by Putin. But don't worry... nobody's gunna hold your pathetic, moronic opinion against you....Armchair warriors often fail.

then maybe this could make Biden an accessory to war crimes

Accessory to a crime:
someone who helps to commit the offense,

Heavily sanctioning Russia, and providing billions in military and humanitarian supplies to Ukraine, does not in any reasonable way reflect "helping Putin".

Basic definitions show your claim to be absurd.

You're a joke! You predictably click a "like" on the most radical, ill informed posts appearing in the threads of this forum and
aside from that activity here, you have nothing better to do than come up with this question to frame a poll?

"Which best describes your personal opinion about Biden calling Putin a war criminal?"
One of your poll vote choices,
"Biden intentionally said this as a ploy to get the US (or NATO) militarily involved in Ukraine."

Russia bombs theatre where civilians sheltering - official - BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk › live › world-europe-60746557
20 minutes ago — Russia has attacked a theatre in Mariupol where civilians have been sheltering, the city's deputy mayor tells the BBC; Between 1,000 and 1,200 people may ...

Breakdown of Putin's false narratives to justify aggression ...

https://kyivindependent.com › national › breakdown-of...
Feb 23, 2022 — He moved to Ukraine in 2014 due to the crackdown on independent media in Russia and covered war, corruption, reforms and law enforcement for the ...

I didn't vote because the correct answer is not there.

Biden calling Putin a War Criminal is bluster. It's rhetoric - hyperbole. Biden thinks it makes him appear strong, but it doesn't.

He could have called Putin a poopy doo-doo head. It would be for the same purpose and warrant the same consideration.

I didn't vote because the correct answer is not there.

Biden calling Putin a War Criminal is bluster. It's rhetoric - hyperbole. Biden thinks it makes him appear strong, but it doesn't.

He could have called Putin a poopy doo-doo head. It would be for the same purpose and warrant the same consideration.
This seems consistent to the 1st choice (does not put Biden on the spot), but if you don't agree, I think this would qualify as the 4th choice (this is just a stupid poll) since it would be stupid not to have all possible choices (LOL). Don't worry, I won't get offended if people choose the 4th option. After all, I am offering it as a choice. :cool:

Putin is a war criminal.

Yes. Not to downplay the Ukraine situation, but I'd say so are US presidents that bombs the shit out of Iraq, Afghanistan, and other places could be considered as well. It's so hypocritical that everybody is up in arms about White christians being killed but don't have problem with how many civilians our military killed. Even Vietnam war, the US were war criminal brutalizing civilians and destroying villages.

"You can say what you will, propaganda television, but all bombing is terrorism"- Michael Franti lyrics

I just now learned of this (US Senate unanimously condemns Putin as a war criminal): https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-senate-unanimously-condemns-putin-235745126.html

The time stamp on this article is for yesterday, so apparently this isn't something that happened after Biden called Putin a war criminal, which means Biden did so after the fact.

Had I known this, I probably would've structured the OP for this thread differently, but meh it's done and can't be undone, so I'll just see where things goes from here on this thread. 🍿🍕

Putin is tomorrows saviour .

But how do you explain that to Stupids and Gullibles in a few sentences ?

Putin is tomorrows saviour .
What's he saving?

But how do you explain that to Stupids and Gullibles in a few sentences ?
Typically one would collect viable data that supported their claim and post that along with a well thought out argument. But since you don't have any of that, just do your usual..... post absurd conspiracy theories and alt-right MSM propaganda garbage.

Yep, he won't be visiting any civilized part of the world for the remainder of his life...too risky. I'm thinking Beijing, N. Korea, Antarctica Russian station, and Caracas are his foreign vacation choices.
Sorta like Dubya...

Don't think it works that way. Calling Pooten a War Criminal isn't being an accessory to his crimes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Biden using that word to describe Putin. And I wish the ICJ would call off its investigation of Russian war crimes, at least for a few months until the situation (hopefully) calms down.

If Putin is a war criminal, then it essentially means he can never visit a Western nation again, which is a big problem if he holds on to power. Additionally, it denies him an off ramp for this conflict. We should be trying to help Putin out of the mess he created, with the promise that things can more-or-less go back to the way they were before if he stops what he is doing.

We need to be very, very sure that we want to close the door on that possibility before we start throwing the words "war criminal" around.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Biden using that word to describe Putin. And I wish the ICJ would call off its investigation of Russian war crimes, at least for a few months until the situation (hopefully) calms down.

If Putin is a war criminal, then it essentially means he can never visit a Western nation again, which is a big problem if he holds on to power. Additionally, it denies him an off ramp for this conflict. We should be trying to help Putin out of the mess he created, with the promise that things can more-or-less go back to the way they were before if he stops what he is doing.

We need to be very, very sure that we want to close the door on that possibility before we start throwing the words "war criminal" around.

If only we had a President who carefully considered his words before using them. Oh wait. ;)

Back
Top Bottom