• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question re images

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Sometimes I've noticed I can just copy and paste an image; but it happens so seldom that I always save it to my computer and upload it. What's the difference? How come it works with some and not others? Why won't it work (copy/paste) with all of them?

Thanks.

Sometimes I've noticed I can just copy and paste an image; but it happens so seldom that I always save it to my computer and upload it. What's the difference? How come it works with some and not others? Why won't it work (copy/paste) with all of them?

Thanks.

When you try copy/paste does it tell you the URL is too long? It does that with me so I try to find pics where the URL is somewhat short.

When you try copy/paste does it tell you the URL is too long? It does that with me so I try to find pics where the URL is somewhat short.

I'm trying a copy/paste below of one I just posted to Funny Pictures that sparked this question, Brett. Let's see what it tells me . . . ?

Nope. It doesn't show anything. When I "copied" from the FP thread, I selected paste here and nothing happened. Just blank space. No message.

Edit: I'm trying to copy your image . . .

Nope. nothing.

The attachment manager in vBulletin has a bunch of internal controls to stop copyrighted material from being published to the site. It's likely that the images you are trying to post either are copyrighted or were at one point and that metadata is still attached to them. It seems that hotlinking to them from a file sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr circumvents that problem. You can also get past it by avoiding the whole attachment manager function and just using plain old
tags.

The attachment manager in vBulletin has a bunch of internal controls to stop copyrighted material from being published to the site. It's likely that the images you are trying to post either are copyrighted or were at one point and that metadata is still attached to them. It seems that hotlinking to them from a file sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr circumvents that problem. You can also get past it by avoiding the whole attachment manager function and just using plain old
tags.

That makes sense. Yet I doubt your avatar has any hidden copyrighting tag in it. The copy function won't work on that either . . .

You can also get past it by avoiding the whole attachment manager function and just using plain old
tags.
I'd love to know how to do that. I have been having issues with posting pics from my own computer for months, and it's annoying as hell. I thought it was my old computer, but when I got this new one, I had (and still have) the same problem.

I'm trying a copy/paste below of one I just posted to Funny Pictures that sparked this question, Brett. Let's see what it tells me . . . ?

Nope. It doesn't show anything. When I "copied" from the FP thread, I selected paste here and nothing happened. Just blank space. No message.

Edit: I'm trying to copy your image . . .

Nope. nothing.

Wait, are you talking about when you go to insert image and it asks to either give a URL or upload? Or are you talking about when you just right click the image and hit paste where you want it?

Last edited:
That makes sense. Yet I doubt your avatar has any hidden copyrighting tag in it. The copy function won't work on that either . . .

I'm going to hazard a guess that the reason for that is because the metadata for my avatar say's it's .jpeg but the actual extension is .gif.

I'd love to know how to do that. I have been having issues with posting pics from my own computer for months, and it's annoying as hell. I thought it was my old computer, but when I got this new one, I had (and still have) the same problem.

Lizzie, the easiest way to handle images is to just set up a [free] Photobucket account and upload everything there. It makes it really easy to edit the pictures and linking to them seems to be pretty much trouble free.

Lizzie, the easiest way to handle images is to just set up a [free] Photobucket account and upload everything there. It makes it really easy to edit the pictures and linking to them seems to be pretty much trouble free.

I have one. It was just so much easier before I had to do that, and I could simply upload from my camera to my computer, to here.

I have one. It was just so much easier before I had to do that, and I could simply upload from my camera to my computer, to here.

Ha! One more sucker that fell into the "technology is supposed to make my life easier" trap!:lol:

Wait, are you talking about when you go to insert image and it asks to either give a URL or upload? Or are you talking about when you just right click the image and hit paste where you want it?

I'm talking about both. When I was talking about Luther's, I was talking about right click to copy and right click to paste. The only SURE way I know is to use the Insert Image little thingie, and I'm wondering why the copy/paste won't work instead.

I'm talking about both. When I was talking about Luther's, I was talking about right click to copy and right click to paste. The only SURE way I know is to use the Insert Image little thingie, and I'm wondering why the copy/paste won't work instead.

Here is your answer: If while in edit you are in the WYSIWYG mode you are able to post a copied image. Otherwise you are not. To get into WYSIWYG mode click the a/A button at the top.

Here is your answer: If while in edit you are in the WYSIWYG mode you are able to post a copied image. Otherwise you are not. To get into WYSIWYG mode click the a/A button at the top.

Now!!! That makes PERFECT sense!!!! But.

When I click on Reply, and then click on the A, nothing happens....? (The Red X remains.) Any ideas?

Now!!! That makes PERFECT sense!!!! But.

When I click on Reply, and then click on the A, nothing happens....? (The Red X remains.) Any ideas?
You need to click on Go Advanced button at the lower right bottom.

Wait....you're talking about just using copy/paste? Wow, in all these years I don't believe it ever occurred to me to try to get an image into a post that way.

article-2445814-188C39B700000578-689_634x358.jpg

Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

​Thank You!!!!!!
Glad that I could help you.

As long as your editor is in wYSIWYG mode, you can copy and paste pictures and text all in one. like this:

Boehner Maintains Hard Line As U.S. Barrels Toward Default

china-currency-boehner.jpg
AP Photo / J. Scott Applewhite

SAHIL KAPUR – OCTOBER 7, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT3056

While Speaker John Boehner has indicated that he's privately angling to avoid a catastrophic debt default this month, he's showing no signs of it in public.

Far from it, the Ohio Republican raised the stakes in dramatic fashion on Sunday, declaring on national television that the U.S. will soon be unable to meet its obligations unless President Barack Obama surrenders and accedes to policy concessions.

[url]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/06/article-2445814-188C39B700000578-689_634x358.jpg[/url] /IMG]

Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[B]​Thank You!!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]Every picture has a URL/internet address. Usually ends in .jpg or .gif
With IE You Right Click on it, and then copy the above address from 'properties'.
With Chrome you Right Click and 'Copy Image URL'..
Then put it between [img] and and you have an opened actualized image.
I broke the end [/img] in your post so you could see the address, tho DP software shortens the link.
It is... without [space] break:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix [Space] /2013/10/06/article-2445814-188C39B700000578-689_634x358.jpg

Last edited:
Glad that I could help you.

As long as your editor is in wYSIWYG mode, you can copy and paste pictures and text all in one. like this:

Boehner Maintains Hard Line As U.S. Barrels Toward Default

china-currency-boehner.jpg
AP Photo / J. Scott Applewhite

SAHIL KAPUR – OCTOBER 7, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT3056

While Speaker John Boehner has indicated that he's privately angling to avoid a catastrophic debt default this month, he's showing no signs of it in public.

Far from it, the Ohio Republican raised the stakes in dramatic fashion on Sunday, declaring on national television that the U.S. will soon be unable to meet its obligations unless President Barack Obama surrenders and accedes to policy concessions.

[h=1]Military builds wild galloping robot[/h]By Megan Gannon
Published October 07, 2013LiveScience

• wildcat-darpa.png

Boston Dynamics' robotic quadruped named WildCat can run up to 16 mph (25 km/h). (BOSTON DYNAMICS)

Robot makers at Boston Dynamics have unveiled their latest military-funded creation: a four-legged machine called WildCat that bounds and gallops across the ground in an uncannily animal-like way.

Another Woot!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom