• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question for those who voted for Bush

Psychoclown

Clown Prince of Politics
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I've been pondering something for a while. For a while, our conservative and/or Republican posters have been distancing themselves from George W. Bush. His ardent defenders have dwindled here to a small handful of die hard neo-cons. So I've been wondering something. For those of you that voted for Bush (in either election) begin to back away from him and for what reasons?

You are aware that Bush is no longer in office?

I've been pondering something for a while. For a while, our conservative and/or Republican posters have been distancing themselves from George W. Bush. His ardent defenders have dwindled here to a small handful of die hard neo-cons. So I've been wondering something. For those of you that voted for Bush (in either election) begin to back away from him and for what reasons?

BEcause we thought we were going to get something better than what we really got. Bush told us he was this big conservative, and I mean, big conservative. He pretended to us that he, like Reagan, was this big soup bowl of social, defense, and fiscal conservatism, a conservative that every republican caucus could agree on. Not only was he just a conservative, he was a campaigner, and a GOOD one. He could bring in money for the republicans from the most elite class, and at the same time, he could pull the "common man" to vote for him and paint his opponents as the "elitests". He was a perfect campaigner, a perfect fundraiser, and...at least at first glance...looked like the perfect conservative.

The point however, isn't whether or not he was the perfect conservative or the best campaigner, he may have been a conservative, you may even say he was a liberal in a conservative's clothing, in the end, it wasn't about his ideaology, in the end, it was about the fact that he did next to nothing for conservatism. One might argue he was a better liberal with his "stimulus checks". His only real accomplishment was getting 2 center-right Supreme Court judges confirmed.

And it isn't about the fact that he was ineffective, he wasn't a carter, he knew his way around washington to get things done, he just...didn't get anything done! Zilch! Next to confirming judges, his main accomplishment could've been redefining conservatism, perverting it from "small government" to "just a little less government than what the liberal democrats propose".

Ignoring for the moment your charge that any defense of George Bush puts one in the 'die hard neo-con' camp, it might help the discussion if you could reformulate your question in a way that actually makes some grammatical sense.

:2wave:

Sorry for the garbled syntax. Was on flu meds last night and obviously it had some affect. :)

Defenders might have been a poor choice of words. I've defended Bush on occasion from some of the ridiculous charges partisan Democrats or extremist lefties like to charge. Supporters would have been a better word. Most of the people left who still strongly support Bush overall are mostly in the neo-con camp. Many conservative/Republican posters have distanced or even disavowed Bush, despite their previous support for him. I'm curious when these people began to see a split between Bush and themselves and what prompted this decision.

I ask for two reasons. I see conservative/Republicans now strongly opposing Obama's spending policies. Yet, the Bush administration also oversaw large spending increases. So I'm cynically wondering if some of the critics of Obama don't really oppose large government spending in principle, but only when a Democrat does it. I'm also cynically wondering if Republicans are starting to talk about small government not because they believe in it, but because they know they need to win back fiscal conservatives, libertarians, and other folks who left the party either during the Bush years or during McCain's campaign.

Personally, I enthusastically supported Bush in 2000. At the time, I was more socially conservative in my political views and believed Bush was for small government and a "humble" foregin policy that opposed nation building. In 2004, I'd lost a lot of that enthusasim for Bush, but voted for him on the lesser of two evils principle. By 2006, I was convinced the Republicans had abandoned and needed to go back to the principles of small, limited government. By 2008 I disavowed the Republican party completely seeing all of the major candidates - McCain, Guiliani, Romney, and Huckabee as candidates that were far away from my views. I call myself a small l libertarian and supported Paul in the primaries (despite some strong disagreements with his more extremist views) and voted for Barr in the election.

I'd love to see the Republicans become a party that actually embraces small government, but I'm very skeptical that a lot of what we're hearing is political BS and not a true restructuring of the Republican agenda. In my cynicism, I can't help but suspect that cries of runaway spending, protests of increased government control/involvement in the economy, and budget deficits are just convinient tools to beat the "other guy" over the head with and are not genuine concerns for many Republican leaders and their supporters.

I know some people who moved away from Bush were genuine in their change. I'm one of them. But a lot of them seem to have made the move in the last year, just in time for the next election cycle when Bush was seen as toxic to Republican chances.

Sorry for the garbled syntax. Was on flu meds last night and obviously it had some affect. :)

No problem, can see how that goes.

Most of the people left who still strongly support Bush overall are mostly in the neo-con camp. Many conservative/Republican posters have distanced or even disavowed Bush, despite their previous support for him.

While I agree that some of those that still support him may be best described as neo-cons, I'd caution you to believe that all or even perhaps "most" are. It is entirely possible for someone to agree with some of the things concerning the War on Terror and the War in Iraq enough to defend Bush and not side with Democrats, but for differing reasons than Bush. Additionally, Neoconservatism isn't just focused around Iraq and there are numerous people who still support Bush on Iraq but disapprove with some of his more fiscal and governmental breaks from conservatism.

I ask for two reasons. I see conservative/Republicans now strongly opposing Obama's spending policies. Yet, the Bush administration also oversaw large spending increases.

This is true. However, lets look at some of the big spending increases.

Perscription Drug. This is was decently criticized by Conservatives then, and even more so now.

DHS/TSA. This is a quasi-issue here. Defense of the nation is something the consitution distinctly lists as a job of the Federal government. Growing government however is a generally non-conservative ideal. People were split on this and I can see legitimate reasons for agreeing with Bush on it then and even now while still being a "conservative" not a "neo-con".

WOT. Again, as above, Defense of the nation is one of those things CLEARLY listed in the consitution. Again, can go either way.

So you start with that and move onto what Obama's money is going to...

Things like bailing out the financial, auto, and other markets (note, many conservatives were against TARP I by Bush as well). Pumping up social programs. Numerous pet projects all across the nation. Instituting the first steps of nationlized health care.

Now, some of these happened under Bush as well but you must then couple it with the following. The Amount.

As bad as Bush's spending was, Obama's is bigger. As well, take out the money on the war which has at least debatable conservative reasons for it, and it blows Bush's out of the water.

So I'm cynically wondering if some of the critics of Obama don't really oppose large government spending in principle, but only when a Democrat does it.

Some do. But then again, some democrats opposed the big government spending of Bush only because a Republican was doing it.

Another percentage disagree's with Obama's cause its not going to what they feel is one of the purposes of government, where as another percentage of democrats were likely upset with Bush because the spending was going to War rather than helping people.

I'm also cynically wondering if Republicans are starting to talk about small government not because they believe in it, but because they know they need to win back fiscal conservatives, libertarians, and other folks who left the party either during the Bush years or during McCain's campaign.

Probably a little of A, a little of B. In the end, it doesn't matter. If they do bring these people back in and then try to put forth candidates that don't represent their views than all they've done is waste a LOT of time and money. I think right now its part legit, part pandering, but if it continues I think the legit will win out.

Personally, I enthusastically supported Bush in 2000. At the time, I was more socially conservative in my political views and believed Bush was for small government and a "humble" foregin policy that opposed nation building. In 2004, I'd lost a lot of that enthusasim for Bush, but voted for him on the lesser of two evils principle. By 2006, I was convinced the Republicans had abandoned and needed to go back to the principles of small, limited government. By 2008 I disavowed the Republican party completely seeing all of the major candidates - McCain, Guiliani, Romney, and Huckabee as candidates that were far away from my views. I call myself a small l libertarian and supported Paul in the primaries (despite some strong disagreements with his more extremist views) and voted for Barr in the election.

For the most part agree. HOWEVER, I think you're falling into a trap many libertarians do which seems to be being SO disenchanted with the republicans that they view ANY kind of social conservatism as some great big evil. As I've been saying on this forum, libertarians alone are not going to win anything on the national level anytime soon, and the Republicans aren't going to have great success on a national stage until they get a BALANCED platform and that includes some social conservatism.

I'd love to see the Republicans become a party that actually embraces small government, but I'm very skeptical that a lot of what we're hearing is political BS and not a true restructuring of the Republican agenda. In my cynicism, I can't help but suspect that cries of runaway spending, protests of increased government control/involvement in the economy, and budget deficits are just convinient tools to beat the "other guy" over the head with and are not genuine concerns for many Republican leaders and their supporters.

And sadly, this may be the case. But, sometimes one must have some faith. While I consider myself closer in view to a libertarian I recognize that quite frankly the only hope for a conservative message in this country at the moment is the Republican party. Libertarianism is experiencing a big surge right now...and its still not even really making a dent on a national stage.

The best chance is to take over the Republican party and start steering it to a better place then it was these past 8 years. That may mean compromising within our movement a bit with each other. It may mean that we have to join together and put in some hope and faith while we try to root people out from the inside. But to me, its the best option right now.

I know some people who moved away from Bush were genuine in their change. I'm one of them. But a lot of them seem to have made the move in the last year, just in time for the next election cycle when Bush was seen as toxic to Republican chances.

Part of it is that, especially in politicians. All politicians will generally do whatever is politically helpful at the time.

I think its less about those in power right now and more about the general feeling of the voting base, because a lot of this is going to be voting NEW people into power. Its not likely going to happen quickly, but over the next 3 to 4 election cycles IF this turns out to be a true shift in the voting population of conservatives it'll have a chance.

I only had issue with Bush and Domestic spending issues and the border. However as we see with the current situation in Washington... he was the lesser of two evils on that front.

BEcause we thought we were going to get something better than what we really got. Bush told us he was this big conservative, and I mean, big conservative. He pretended to us that he, like Reagan, was this big soup bowl of social, defense, and fiscal conservatism, a conservative that every republican caucus could agree on. Not only was he just a conservative, he was a campaigner, and a GOOD one. He could bring in money for the republicans from the most elite class, and at the same time, he could pull the "common man" to vote for him and paint his opponents as the "elitests". He was a perfect campaigner, a perfect fundraiser, and...at least at first glance...looked like the perfect conservative.

The point however, isn't whether or not he was the perfect conservative or the best campaigner, he may have been a conservative, you may even say he was a liberal in a conservative's clothing, in the end, it wasn't about his ideaology, in the end, it was about the fact that he did next to nothing for conservatism. One might argue he was a better liberal with his "stimulus checks". His only real accomplishment was getting 2 center-right Supreme Court judges confirmed.

And it isn't about the fact that he was ineffective, he wasn't a carter, he knew his way around washington to get things done, he just...didn't get anything done! Zilch! Next to confirming judges, his main accomplishment could've been redefining conservatism, perverting it from "small government" to "just a little less government than what the liberal democrats propose".

Let us not forget what Bush did on judges, though. Other than Harriet Meirs, he made excellent choices. If Bush has any legacy at all, it will be on the fact that he has redefined the judiciary as strict constructionist, and in a way that will last a generation. Kudos to him for that.

Last edited:
Let us not forget what Bush did on judges, though. Other than Harriet Meirs, he made excellent choices. If Bush has any legacy at all, it will be on the fact that Bush has redefined the judiciary as strict constructionist, and in a way that will last a generation. Kudos to him for that.
That was probably the better of his decisions, I am still shocked at the way Janice Rogers Brown, a black female conservative, was treated by the Dems during confirmation hearings, she would have made for an outstanding choice in the judicial, but, we did get two very strong constructionist judges out of it, so it was an overall ugly win.

While I agree that some of those that still support him may be best described as neo-cons, I'd caution you to believe that all or even perhaps "most" are. It is entirely possible for someone to agree with some of the things concerning the War on Terror and the War in Iraq enough to defend Bush and not side with Democrats, but for differing reasons than Bush. Additionally, Neoconservatism isn't just focused around Iraq and there are numerous people who still support Bush on Iraq but disapprove with some of his more fiscal and governmental breaks from conservatism.

Yes it possible to agree with Bush in part or to prefer him to the policies the Democrats want to enact without being a die hard neo con, but what I was trying to say is that people who support Bush as a whole are mostly neo-cons (and evangelicals probably still strongly support him too)

So you start with that and move onto what Obama's money is going to...

Things like bailing out the financial, auto, and other markets (note, many conservatives were against TARP I by Bush as well). Pumping up social programs. Numerous pet projects all across the nation. Instituting the first steps of nationlized health care.

Now, some of these happened under Bush as well but you must then couple it with the following. The Amount.

As bad as Bush's spending was, Obama's is bigger. As well, take out the money on the war which has at least debatable conservative reasons for it, and it blows Bush's out of the water.

Yes, I'd have to agree that Obama's spending is larger and for more questionable things - at least from a conservative or libertarian view.

For the most part agree. HOWEVER, I think you're falling into a trap many libertarians do which seems to be being SO disenchanted with the republicans that they view ANY kind of social conservatism as some great big evil. As I've been saying on this forum, libertarians alone are not going to win anything on the national level anytime soon, and the Republicans aren't going to have great success on a national stage until they get a BALANCED platform and that includes some social conservatism.

I'll readily admit I am very disenchanted with the Republican Party. However I don't view any kind of social conservatism is a big evil. I'm a pro-life libertarian. And I do think many of the social issues should be returned to the states and not be decided on a federal level. Granted, I would probably oppose some social conservative policies on a state level as well, but I can see at least some common ground between where I stand and where they stand for the time being.

You're correct on both counts. Despite libertarians becoming more visible and perhaps growing in numbers (it seems that way, but I haven't seen any polls to confirm or deny libertarian growth) we're not a large enough force on our own to be an independent player on the national stage. And Republicans do need a balanced platform that represents libertarians, traditioanl conservatives, social conservatives, and (bleh) even neo-cons. The party is making some noise (or pandering) towards libertarians, but I'm not ready to buy it until I see a real change in the party.

And sadly, this may be the case. But, sometimes one must have some faith. While I consider myself closer in view to a libertarian I recognize that quite frankly the only hope for a conservative message in this country at the moment is the Republican party. Libertarianism is experiencing a big surge right now...and its still not even really making a dent on a national stage.

The best chance is to take over the Republican party and start steering it to a better place then it was these past 8 years. That may mean compromising within our movement a bit with each other. It may mean that we have to join together and put in some hope and faith while we try to root people out from the inside. But to me, its the best option right now.

I'd agree that its probably our best chance. Though I find myself drawn to trying to build up viable, mainstream third party alternatives rather than reforming the Republicans. Longshot at best I know, but I'm low on faith and hope in the Republicans right now. I'm still willing to vote in Republican primaries for libertarian minded candidates, support individual candidates that I find acceptable in general elections, maybe even volunteer time for them. However, I'm also considering volunteering to be a chapter leader for the libertarian party in my area. And I WILL NOT a Republican candidate on the lesser of two evils principle again. I don't expect all candidates to line up with my beliefs perfectly, but I need a better reason than "the other guy is worse" to cast my vote for someone.

Part of it is that, especially in politicians. All politicians will generally do whatever is politically helpful at the time.

I think its less about those in power right now and more about the general feeling of the voting base, because a lot of this is going to be voting NEW people into power. Its not likely going to happen quickly, but over the next 3 to 4 election cycles IF this turns out to be a true shift in the voting population of conservatives it'll have a chance.

If it does happen it will HAVE to be a turnover of those in power. Libertarians are not going to trust the same Republican leadership that oversaw the mess of the last 8 years.

I pay no attention to people who use the word neocon.

I pay no attention to people who use the word neocon.

Do you pay attention to people who use centrist? paleoconservative? Little l libertarian? Socialist? Facist? Evangelical? Environmentalist?

Why the disdain for only one political philosophy as being unworthy of attention?

I only had issue with Bush and Domestic spending issues and the border. However as we see with the current situation in Washington... he was the lesser of two evils on that front.

I share this opinion as well. I had huge issues with the spending and borders. GW is a moderate where as I'm a conservative first. In the past several years, I see the Republican party moving towards the center and I have a big problem with that! Even though I didn't always agree with what Bush was doing, I never doubted his commitment to this country or the Office. He always held the military in the highest regard and never missed a salute to the soldier guarding him.

What I would like to see happen is for the GOP to become THE conservative party again. Until they do, they cease to get any support from me.

:cool:

Do you pay attention to people who use centrist? paleoconservative? Little l libertarian? Socialist? Facist? Evangelical? Environmentalist?

Why the disdain for only one political philosophy as being unworthy of attention?

it probably should read, 'those who use a political ideal, as a label to bash, or generalize.'

j-mac

That was probably the better of his decisions, I am still shocked at the way Janice Rogers Brown, a black female conservative, was treated by the Dems during confirmation hearings, she would have made for an outstanding choice in the judicial, but, we did get two very strong constructionist judges out of it, so it was an overall ugly win.

The Gang of 14
was correctly named.
Gutless Sellouts.

I have asked often enough here about the word to realize that nobody knows what it means. It's no different than using the word "libtard." It's an insult and nothing more. It sounds similare to "neo nazi" and that's why people like it.

We are often forced to make the choice between the lesser of two evils as was the case in the 2008 election. We had to choose either a Republican who was inconsistent on some big issues, or vote for a quite possibly African born who will not answer the question honestly who was educated as a Muslim, admits drug use and never did anything in his life one might call an accomplishment. The choice was a hard one for some but no those who were not brain dead.
The same or similar situation faced us twice with the Bush elections. We had Bush Vs Gore. Come on Al Gore is a joke and even more so today. He claimed to be the inventor of the Internet, and an environmentalist as he had much need water released during a drought to allow for a photo session among too many issues to list. Then we come to Kerry the Joke self appointed hero. No way. So we were left both times with G.W. and he faltered big time but he was never week and did what he felt was best even when it was not to his political advantage. Gore is week on everything even today with his fear of scientific facts on global warming. Kerry Like Obama has yet to do anything notable in my opinion.
So in the end could we have done better? You bet but not with the choices we were given. But that's just my opinion.

"A Neocon is a Liberal who has been mugged by reality."

-William Kristol

Irving Kristol said that, and it was framed as a joke:

"A neoconservative is a liberal who's been mugged by reality. A neoliberal is a liberal who's been mugged by reality but has refused to press charges."

Is this a serious question?

Well, we aren't supporting him so actively now, largely because he's out of office. (Google Barak Obama.)

Further, we supported him while he was in office, (remember he's out of office now, and has been for several months,) because the alternatives were noted huckster Al Gore, and husban for tire to rich heiresses, John Kerry.

So, since Bush was the best choice available, and especially when he was in opposition to a deranged Congress, it was quite natural for us to support him.

(While he was in office, he's gone now.)

Back
Top Bottom