• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question for the "Woke" Among Us:

Lots of talk about race etc these days. I have a question. Two questions actually. This pertains to government legislation ie: "regulation" so I think it belongs here.
1) How do you define "racism" specifically. I am aware of the textbook/dictionary definition, I want to know how *you* are defining "racism". You want to end it, thats great, what *specifically* must be ended in your opinion? Is it saying certain words or thinking certain thoughts? Certain actions?
There are laws prohibiting discrimination already. Discrimination is a byproduct of "racism" or at least a part of racism. So that is my first question, what specifically is "racism".
And 2) What piece of legislation, SPECIFICALLY, do you want to see instituted that you believe will end "racism", other than the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
What SPECIFICALLY do you feel should be added to where "racism" will be legislated away? Or is this something that will be accomplished via social media by "shaming" people and so forth?
We can never arrive at any destination or goal without first having a clear understanding of what specifically has to be done to get there.

This is a legitimate question(s) from an academic and scholarly standpoint, and I already know that many will "answer" by calling me "racist", insulting my intelligence (or trying to), insinuating/implying that I have moral shortcomings for not simply grasping the "obvious" that I should be able to understand, etc.
I am looking for real answers here please.
And thank you for your thoughtful and reasoned responses.
Go ahead. Tell me what law you see being passed. Tell me your solution to "end racism" as you define it. Go.

You... think legislation can "end" racism?

That's a weird thing to think.

A black man wants a job as an accountant.

He applies for the position and he's the most qualified.

The boss hires a white guy anyway. His reasoning is that a black guy might cause problems. Joe is another employee and is kind of racist and might say something that's racist and cause problems that the boss will have to sort out. Best not hire the black to begin with and avoid the problem all together.

Legislation has worked to fix some of this with affirmative action. It makes the boss hire a black guy, he has no choice.

What else? Education maybe. Meeting a few black people and finding out that they are just like you and me would help too.

Conversely, it's trickier to fire a minority because it turns into an easy lawsuit for discrimination.

The word 'racist' is flung about so speciously and ubiquitously that it's lost all meaning to me.
I wish it would just get 'cancelled.'

Conversely, it's trickier to fire a minority because it turns into an easy lawsuit for discrimination.
No it doesn’t. Discrimination lawsuits are incredibly hard to prove unless the employer is stupid enough to say the real reason out loud.

Stop making shit up. There’s real world examples to draw from.

No it doesn’t. Discrimination lawsuits are incredibly hard to prove unless the employer is stupid enough to say the real reason out loud.

Stop making shit up. There’s real world examples to draw from.

Yes, and it backs up my statement. Now toddle along.

Back
Top Bottom