• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question for the experts.

Daqueef

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So this chick wanted to steal Pelosis laptop and sell it to Russian Spies. How is that not considered treasonous? Selling classified or private info to an enemy of the United States should be classified as treason IMO

So this chick wanted to steal Pelosis laptop and sell it to Russian Spies. How is that not considered treasonous? Selling classified or private info to an enemy of the United States should be classified as treason IMO

The US Constitution, Article III, Section 3.
“Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.”
We are not at war with Russia, so her crimes are not treason.

The US Constitution, Article III, Section 3.
“Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.”
We are not at war with Russia, so her crimes are not treason.

I don't know man. Attempting to give information to a country who considers themselves an Enemy of the United States is treasonous to me. War shouldn't dictate what treason is imo. I mean why hasn't Snowden been extradited back to the U.S? Why did Russia give him Asylum? They consider what he did treason...What's the difference in what he did and what she was attempting to do and woulda done? We weren't at war with Russia then either. What happens to spy's when they are caught? Even if they didn't have a chance to commit the crime

I don't know man. Attempting to give information to a country who considers themselves an Enemy of the United States is treasonous to me. War shouldn't dictate what treason is imo. I mean why hasn't Snowden been extradited back to the U.S? Why did Russia give him Asylum? They consider what he did treason...What's the difference in what he did and what she was attempting to do and woulda done? We weren't at war with Russia then either. What happens to spy's when they are caught? Even if they didn't have a chance to commit the crime
Snowdon is not facing treason charges either. He has been charged with Theft of Government Property, Unauthorized Communication of National Defense Information, and Willful Communication of Classified Intelligence Information to an Unauthorized Person.

The Constitution is very clear as to what is treason. No one has been convicted of treason since 1952 (Adam Yahiye Gadahn, born Adam Pearlman, was charged with treason for joining al-Qaeda and making propaganda films for them, but was killed in a drone strike)

Simple reason. Russia as of right now cannot be considered an "enemy" of the United States. (though it is from a practical standpoint). For one, we still have diplomatic relations (not to mention economic and military relations) with them.

Back
Top Bottom