• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question For SoCal or Central Coast Posters

Drake McHugh

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Where would you say the dividing line between what is the central coast and southern California is? Is it Santa Barbara? Further south or north?

I've lived in Calif most of my life and I've never heard the term "central coast", so I have no idea. :shrug:

I lived in Central California until I was 18, and then moved to the Bay Area last year. its weird because most people would consider Fresno to Sac "Central" but when SF is directly to the west we are referred to as Northern California. The valley that Sac, Fresno, and Modesto, are in though is called the Central Valley.

Anyway, anything from Bakersfield down I would consider So Cal, even though Bakersfield is technically in the central valley, it is the most southern part of it and people there generally identify with L.A.

Actually, I always thought it was San Luis Obispo as the dividing marker.

Which is directly to the West of Bakersfield.

I thought the OP asked about "the coast" and unless Bakersfield has purchased their own ocean, my SLO guess (and that's all it was) might be more definitive:)

I thought the OP asked about "the coast" and unless Bakersfield has purchased their own ocean, my SLO guess (and that's all it was) might be more definitive:)

Yeah, and I had never heard the term until this thread, and that map I just looked up.

I guess the border between the Central Coast and Southern California would be the coastal mountain range, There is nothing between SLO and Bakersfield if you draw a lawn directly east to west between the two.

I lived in Central California until I was 18, and then moved to the Bay Area last year. its weird because most people would consider Fresno to Sac "Central" but when SF is directly to the west we are referred to as Northern California. The valley that Sac, Fresno, and Modesto, are in though is called the Central Valley.

Anyway, anything from Bakersfield down I would consider So Cal, even though Bakersfield is technically in the central valley, it is the most southern part of it and people there generally identify with L.A.

Bakersfield is NOT SoCal. Its Central Valley. I live here so I know. SoCal anything south of the grapevine generally the Kern LA county line. Bakersfield does not really ID with LA. We are more conservative than pretty much anywhere in California.

Santa Barbra really isn't considered SoCal. Ventura south generally is though there is a bit of debate.

Bakersfield is NOT SoCal. Its Central Valley. I live here so I know. SoCal anything south of the grapevine generally the Kern LA county line. Bakersfield does not really ID with LA. We are more conservative than pretty much anywhere in California.

Santa Barbra really isn't considered SoCal. Ventura south generally is though there is a bit of debate.

Yeah i know its more conservative. my family that lives down there is extremely conservative too, and have said that they consider themselves Southern Californians.

Where would you say the dividing line between what is the central coast and southern California is? Is it Santa Barbara? Further south or north?

For me, anything north of Los Angeles County is Northern California which would mean Kern county is Northern California.

Yeah i know its more conservative. my family that lives down there is extremely conservative too, and have said that they consider themselves Southern Californians.

That's not the general convention here, the main exception being LA transplants who seem to think everywhere is SoCal.

i used to live in cali,and its generally divided into 4 regions.

northern cali,mostly liberal,some conservative areas,lots of forest,and the states capital.

central cali,this mostly covers the central part of the state,most notable around bakersfield and visalia area.this area alot of people wear cowboy hats and have this southern accents,during the dustbowl it was settled by farmers from texas,which explains why they differn from the rest of the state.

southern cali,mostly conservative,heavy pockets of hispanics and rednecks,lots of cowboys in socal,just not so much accent.socal itself covers many different types of people,from methheads and white supremecists,to rednecks(google fontucky)to mexican farming communities,to mexican gangs,to gay cities(see palm springs).

finally coastal cali,this is the region everyone thinks about when they see cali,but in reality even though it holds most of calis population,itholds the least landmass.california itself is a very rural state,with most its population concentrated at the coast,hence why most people who have been to cali classify the coast as its own region rather than trying to geographically tie it with inland communities which are a 180 off culturally.

Back
Top Bottom