• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question for Pro Choice (pro abortion rights) People.

Dayton3

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
If you and women who have abortions truly DO NOT believe that abortion destroys a human life, then why do women who have one almost invariably feel guilt, depression, shame and remorse when they have one?

No one feels guilt or shame over an appendix being taken out. Why should they feel remorse from an abortion?

Why do you lecture pro lifers about "compassion" and not making women feel bad over an abortion if it isn't a human life:?

It makes no sense.​

If you and women who have abortions truly DO NOT believe that abortion destroys a human life, then why do women who have one almost invariably feel guilt, depression, shame and remorse when they have one?

No one feels guilt or shame over an appendix being taken out. Why should they feel remorse from an abortion?

Why do you lecture pro lifers about "compassion" and not making women feel bad over an abortion if it isn't a human life:?

It makes no sense.​
To you.
Who said they do?

It makes no sense.​

Can you provide evidence that this is so? Please, show your source.

yes, it can happen. Of course, it also happens that women will feel guilt and remorse if they have an unwanted child too. Society plays guilt trips on women who manage to enjoy sex, period.

There are too many sites on a google search to list.

You're asking questions in such a way that in reality this is just another bait thread in disguise. I may indulge myself in it, but I think for now I'll stay away.

Because people like you go out of your way to make[/]b them feel guilt, depression, shame, and remorse.

/thread

It makes no sense.​

It is not 'invariably' a difficult decision. Neither do all women feel guilt or remorse about it. Neither necessarily do the partners of the women. Stop-calling-abortion-a-difficult-decision

There’s a more pernicious result when pro-choice advocates use such language: It is a tacit acknowledgment that terminating a pregnancy is a moral issue requiring an ethical debate. To say that deciding to have an abortion is a “hard choice” implies a debate about whether the fetus should live, thereby endowing it with a status of being. It puts the focus on the fetus rather than the woman.

Last edited:
Because losing a potential life is still cause for feeling bad. It is not, however, cause for infringing on someone's fundamental rights.

Some women feel guilt and depression and some don't. As for those who do? I don't know, but I am sure part of it has to do with them being raised in a society in which a large portion of the population says abortion is evil and murder. If you hear that enough times, even if your rational side disagrees, it will still affect you emotionally. It is a part of human psychology that has made marketing and advertising firms billions over the years.

If they grew up in a society in which that wasn't the case it would be a different story.

Then, just do a few of them, ones that you think are the BEST sources. I mean, as it is, it looks like an avoidance of hte issue, and that does not look good for showing honesty and integrity.

It makes no sense.​

I just wanted to make it clear that a person can be pro-choice and yet not be pro-abortion. Personally, I'm pro-choice in every aspect of a person's individual life and yet I abhor abortion when it is the result of a lifestyle choice and not the solution to a physical or mental medical problem.

It makes no sense.​

Yes, abortion ends a "human life."

Yes, I'm pro-choice.

What point are you trying to make?

It makes no sense.​

It is the unwanted pregnancy that causes the stress and health problems in woman not abortions.

The data was from 44 worldwide studies taken between 1990 and 2011.
LONDON – Abortion does not increase a woman's chance of developing mental health problems, according to the largest study ever to investigate the issue.

Among women with unwanted pregnancies, those who had abortions were no more likely to suffer from problems including anxiety or depression than women who gave birth,
the research review by the U.K.'s National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health found.

The research shows the "reassuring news" that abortion does not cause mental health problems, but raises a warning that officials must address the problem of unwanted pregnancy, said Dr. Tim Kendall, the centre's director.

Kendall said mental health problems seemed to be linked specifically to unwanted pregnancies rather than abortion.

Kendall and colleagues reviewed 44 studies conducted worldwide from 1990 to 2011 that included several million women with unwanted pregnancies from sources including national health systems and insurance databases.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...n-doesnt-raise-mental-illness-risk/51762674/1

From the APA Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion

On page 89 in The Summery and Conclusion section
One study, however, stood out from the rest in terms of its methodological rigor. This study was conducted in the United Kingdom by the Royal College of Gen- eral Practitioners and the Royal College of Obstetri- cians and Gynecologists (Gilchrist et al., 1995). It was longitudinal, based on a representative sample, meas- ured postpregnancy/abortion psychiatric morbidity using established diagnostic categories, controlled ...

for mental health prior to the pregnancy as well as other relevant covariates, and compared women who terminated an unplanned pregnancy to women who pursued alternative courses of action. In prospective analyses, Gilchrist et al. compared postpregnancy psy- chiatric morbidity (stratified by prepregnancy psychi- atric status) of four groups of women, all of whom were faced with an unplanned pregnancy: women who obtained abortions, who did not seek abortion, who requested abortion but were denied, and who initially requested abortion but changed their mind.

The re- searchers concluded that once psychiatric disorders prior to the pregnancy were taken into account, the rate of total reported psychiatric disorder was no higher after termination of an unplanned pregnancy than after childbirth.

This study provides high-quality evidence that among women faced with an unplanned pregnancy, the rela- tive risks of psychiatric disorder among women who terminate the pregnancy are no greater than the risks among women who pursue alternative courses of ac- tion.

http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf

Last edited:

It is the unwanted pregnancy that causes the stress and health problems in woman not abortions.

The data was from 44 worldwide studies taken between 1990 and 2011.

Abortion doesn't raise mental illness risk

From the APA Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion

On page 89 in The Summery and Conclusion section

http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf

Minnie, just wanted to say a quick "Thank you" for your sources/stats/citations you provide everyday. :)

It makes no sense.​
Great post.

Here's more of the same that "Pro-choicers" would also prefer to rationalize as nonexistent: http://www.debatepolitics.com/abortion/125393-post-abortion-stress-syndrome.html#post1060464996.

Which women are you referring to? Where did you get your data? I can agree this may happen, but it can also happen to those who decide to have a baby. :doh

It makes no sense.​

If giving birth is so wonderful, why do so many women experience post-partum depression?

It makes no sense.​

Sometimes people feel guilt and anxiety and depression and shame and remorse when they get divorces too. Making important life decisions is hard....they arent simple and sacrifices are made. These things are done to try and ensure that people and children..current and future...are all better off, even if the decisions and transitions are painful.

No one ever said that important...even the RIGHT...decisions are easy or pleasant but they are done with the hope and intent that the result will be a better furture.

Many tough decisions in life cause pain or difficulty or distress...that doesnt mean they are wrong. Life is messy.

Also, you need to source the bold, that the numbers of women experiencing that are as great as you claim.

Last edited:

LMAO

Er, then where, exactly, did you get your information from for the OP?

It makes no sense.​

Most women who've had an abortion don't feel remorse unless it is forced onto them by religious nutters. Just like any other group of people, they are subject to the opinions of others and they let that garbage infect their minds. I find that there are a number of similar topics people want others to feel bad about. For example, I'm 54 yo, I had a horrendous childhood and disowned my family in my teen years. To date, we're talking decades now, people want me to feel horrible for disowning abusive parents. I'm strong enough to realize they are just wrong, but most people get swayed by being judged by others. We shouldn't but we do.

Most women who've had an abortion don't feel remorse unless it is forced onto them by religious nutters. Just like any other group of people, they are subject to the opinions of others and they let that garbage infect their minds. I find that there are a number of similar topics people want others to feel bad about. For example, I'm 54 yo, I had a horrendous childhood and disowned my family in my teen years. To date, we're talking decades now, people want me to feel horrible for disowning abusive parents. I'm strong enough to realize they are just wrong, but most people get swayed by being judged by others. We shouldn't but we do.

Relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS-BzFDOmq0

Can you provide evidence that this is so? Please, show your source.

yes, it can happen. Of course, it also happens that women will feel guilt and remorse if they have an unwanted child too. Society plays guilt trips on women who manage to enjoy sex, period.

How about you? Don't you feel guilt when ever you give such a BS answer? No? Well you should.

Have you searched for an answer to this question instead of flapping your gums when giving answers? Of course you have. All of you have. But you do what you do best and lie.

Women do experience depression, suicidal thoughts and other depressing things.

Tell me something. Are you so in love with abortion that you don't see any cons? Are you seriously entertaining the prospect of telling us that there are absolutely no downsides to abortion? Please tell us that there are NO DOWNSIDES to abortion because I AM JUST LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE FUN OF...

BECAUSE IT'S RIDICULOUS!

PERIOD!

I'm waiting.........

Thank you. It needed to be said. Good point. A Google search will probably not shut these people up, but it needed to be said.

Because people like you go out of your way to make[/]b them feel guilt, depression, shame, and remorse.

/thread

No. Women are talked into by some of the cruelest progressives around not realizing that they are being played by the left. Then when it happens, it can't be undone but nobody from the left are long gone. The truth is that they run away from their own responsibility for having convinced her to do it.

Back
Top Bottom