• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Question for people who believe being gay to be wrong

If god does not like homosexuality so much, why is the male prostate in our asses?

Easily circumventable when one practices sex responsibly by using condoms, being aware of your own and your partner's sexual health, and being cautious about the selection of sexual partners.

too bad so many, primarily young, gay men choose not to.

If god does not like homosexuality so much, why is the male prostate in our asses?

probably for the same reason that so many foods that taste good are bad for your health :shrug:

WHY is it a sin though, that's my question. There's no logical reason for it.

two very logical reasons:

back in the day...

1. the population was small, being gay does not lead to an increase in population. you can't "be fruitful and multiply" through gay sex

2. as mentioned earlier...disease is spread more easily via anal sex. back in the day you couldn't pop down to walgreens for a condom.

Moderator's Warning:
Alex: Threadban. No further posts in this thread please. Further posts would be 5 point infractions.

Um, the rest of you can still post, you know.

Um, the rest of you can still post, you know.

Fine, I'll kick it back off...

Homosexuality is wrong because...

A: Any sex outside of marriage is a sin.
B: It serves no purpose to society.

Those are the arguments I hear the more intelligent Christians make.

The teleological argument regarding God's design (the anus is not for sex) falls apart when you consider masturbation and oral sex. The reproductive argument falls apart when you consider that we are not a tiny nomadic society living iin the desert. As such, Christians rely on more existential arguments to justify referring to homosexuality as a sin, namely what purpose it serves to society and whether it undermines marriage and the family.

This is something I've been confused about for a while and I haven't really received an answer to it.

I dont understand WHY being gay is wrong, I dont understand why the bible prohibits it. There are no medical or psychological reason for it being wrong, we are obviously socially flexible enough to incorporate the gay community into our society, our society hasnt collapsed, we dont really need to "go forth and multiply" anymore.

So, why is being gay a sin?

The answer is simple - being gay is not wrong. Those who believe that homosexuality is wrong can only appeal to religion, which opens up another can of worms entirely, as there are plenty of folks like myself who think that religious deities and supernatural entities are a myth. Therefore, if a deity has made the claim sometime in the past that a particular behavior is wrong (or 'sinful' as the multitude like to say), then that deity needs to come forth and represent himself and explain why it's wrong. It isn't enough to simply say that at some point in the past, the deity exclaimed "because I said so!". Rational human beings in this day and age need a philosophical explanation to satisfy any epistemiological inquires beyond simple commandments like that. And if I were a betting man, i'd wager that we all have a better chance of simulataneously being struck by lightning, meteors, and the noodly appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster before any deity comes forth and presents his or herself to offer up such an explanation. And until we do, basing public policy on religious dogma should not be allowed.

To be fair, however, i'm sure the Bible says something about it being wrong, a sin, or whatever. It's up to the Christian individual to decide if that is something that should be ignored or not, and as long that belief doesn't intrude on homosexuals living their lives with all the rights and privileges accorded to heterosexuals, I see no problem with it. I tend to view religion pragmatically - when it works to feed the homeless, collect money for the poor, and tries to find foster homes for kids in need, then it's a good thing. When it works to keep homosexual couples from getting married, belittles other faiths, and tries to shut down the local strip club, then it's a bad thing.

This is something I've been confused about for a while and I haven't really received an answer to it.

I dont understand WHY being gay is wrong, I dont understand why the bible prohibits it.

The bible forbids a sexual practice, not a sexual orientation.

There are no medical or psychological reason for it being wrong...

Sex related stress disorders, G.E.D, the drip, urinary tract infection, etc.

we are obviously socially flexible enough to incorporate the gay community into our society, our society hasnt collapsed, we dont really need to "go forth and multiply" anymore.

Now you've gon from asking a question to arguing a position. Nothing wrong with that, just thought I'd point it out.

So, why is being gay a sin?

It's counterproductive to the order Abrihamic religions seek to enable.

Last edited:
Ok, so why is this intended to be the norm? I can see why it might be a problem with a small population that doesnt live very long and needs all the children it can get, but I think we've gone beyond that and we dont need to worry about reproduction anymore.

So why does man NEED to be with woman anymore?

Depends on if you want to obey God and have your place in heaven

Why?

Sex related stress disorders, G.E.D, the drip, urinary tract infection, etc.
Are these specific to gay sex or just irresponsible sex?

Now you've gon from asking a question to arguing a position. Nothing wrong with that, just thought I'd point it out.
I'm observing that there doesnt seem to be any logical reason for considering gay sex to be wrong or sinful.

It's counterproductive to the order Abrihamic religions seek to enable.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Depends on if you want to obey God and have your place in heaven
Is there anything besides "he said so"?

Then you know nothing of the morals of the Bible
I know there's no logical reason to condemn gay sex

Last edited:
“So, why is being gay a sin?” – Hoplite

There are many who claim that homosexuality goes against God’s design for us and that seems to be Paul’s main focus (natural vs. unnatural) so there seems to be some merit there. However, my personal opinion (and that’s all it is) is that it goes deeper than that.

Theologians and philosophers have argued that if there is a “theoretical center” or a single-point around which all of the Bible concerns itself it is this: that God created man in His image.

Genesis 1: 27
“So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”

The biblical definition of man seems to be:

one male + one female = man = image of God.

So it would seem that any deviation from one male + one female is a “twisting” or “perversion” of God’s image.

I think that’s why it’s a sin (in addition to being against God’s intended design).

Exactly. I think both gays and fundamental Christians tend to forget this.

You are asking why gay sex is a sin. The definition of sin is is not meeting the holy standard that God has set out in His law and requires. There can be no answer besides saying that gay sex is a sin because God says it's a sin. Now perhaps you meant to ask why it is morally wrong.

You are asking why gay sex is a sin. The definition of sin is is not meeting the holy standard that God has set out in His law and requires. There can be no answer besides saying that gay sex is a sin because God says it's a sin. Now perhaps you meant to ask why it is morally wrong.

Does the new testament say it is a sin or just the old testament?

Yes, the New Testament calls it a sin in several places, but most prominently in Romans 1. In most other places it is just under the broad category of "sexual impurity", but in Romans 1 homosexuality itself is specifically called out. Also in Revelation (21, I think. Don't have my Bible right in front of me).

Isnt that circular thinking?

Hoplite, you are asking for secular reasons why a religion deems something a sin (which is a religious term meaning "contrary to God's will"). You are not going to get an answer in the format you are looking for.

No, not really. Not unless God's existance or holiness were also in question. But as far as I know, the debate hasn't reached that point yet.

Although, your question brings up a question that I have always wondered: if gays either don't believe God exists, or do not think that homosexuality is contrary to God's holiness, then why do they care to ask why we think its a sin? It doesn't really seem like my answer would change any gay person's mind.

Only Paul says it is a sin in his letters (which he wrote probably never imagining they would end up in Holy Scriptures). Jesus doesn't explicity state that homosexual behavior is a sin. Jesus was simply pro marriage and anti divorce.

Only Paul says it is a sin in his letters (which he wrote probably never imagining they would end up in Holy Scriptures). Jesus doesn't explicity state that homosexual behavior is a sin. Jesus was simply pro marriage and anti divorce.

Jesus didn't explicitly speak against pederasty either, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't approve.

Jesus words are important, but they don't exist in a vaccuum. If you're going to ignore the apostles, to whom Jesus gave authority to speak in his name, you might as well ignore the whole Bible.

We've been through this before you know.

Hoplite, you are asking for secular reasons why a religion deems something a sin (which is a religious term meaning "contrary to God's will"). You are not going to get an answer in the format you are looking for.

Why is God's will something that one should follow?

Why?

Are these specific to gay sex or just irresponsible sex?

I'm observing that there doesnt seem to be any logical reason for considering gay sex to be wrong or sinful.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Is there anything besides "he said so"?

I know there's no logical reason to condemn gay sex

other than morals and disease

Back
Top Bottom