• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question for ladies who have gone through menopause... [W:63]

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Question for ladies who have gone through menopause...

Did you come out on the other end basically the same person you were beforehand? Personality-wise, I mean.

I know this comes off as an ignorant question, and it is, but I don't know 100% and would like to fill in the gaps. Thanks.

Did you come out on the other end basically the same person you were beforehand? Personality-wise, I mean.

I know this comes off as an ignorant question, and it is, but I don't know 100% and would like to fill in the gaps. Thanks.

My office manager has been having hot flashes for 13 years. My mother in law came out of it nucking futs. Good luck. :peace

Yes, it is an ignorant question. Unfortunately, I'm just as ignorant as you and at my age, it's probably a good idea if I learn a bit about it

No idea. I like older women, but I have limits.

I'm not crusing Bingo halls or Neil Diamond concerts looking for geriatric strange. However, if I do, I'll take a quick consensus.

No idea. I like older women, but I have limits.

I'm not crusing Bingo halls or Neil Diamond concerts looking for geriatric strange. However, if I do, I'll take a quick consensus.

Women who are going through menopause, for the most part, aren't geriatric. Menopause comes in the mid to late 40s. Hardly geriatric.

Women who are going through menopause, for the most part, aren't geriatric. Menopause comes in the mid to late 40s. Hardly geriatric.

Well my girlfriend is about to turn 45. With luck, her sex drive won't go down the toilet.

Well my girlfriend is about to turn 45. With luck, her sex drive won't go down the toilet.

For many women, as their estrogen level goes down and their testosterone level goes up? Their sex lives get better and better. 'Course with that added testosterone, they don't put up with much man **** anymore.

For many women, as their estrogen level goes down and their testosterone level goes up? Their sex lives get better and better. 'Course with that added testosterone, they don't put up with much man **** anymore.

What's this "man ****" they don't put up with? Do they already have the sandwich pre-made or something?

No, like Maggie said, it'll get better. You never heard of Mrs. Robinson? :lol: It's kind of a cruel trick that women's sex drives are strongest in or around menopause, and men's strongest sex drives are when they are in their late teens.

No, like Maggie said, it'll get better. You never heard of Mrs. Robinson? :lol: It's kind of a cruel trick that women's sex drives are strongest in or around menopause, and men's strongest sex drives are when they are in their late teens.

I'm vaguely familiar with Mrs. Robinson. I was 19 and sleeping with a 36 year old woman. Ah, the fun of my youth...

I was cougar when cougar wasn't cool.

As everything in life, it depends on the individual I suppose. Me, I had a grand total of 3 hot flashes, my periods stopped, and I was happy as a clam in sand to be carrying a playpen that would never again be a crib. No personality changes at all that I noticed, or that anyone else commented on. From that point on, I still had my size 6 figure, the same amount of energy and vigor, enjoyed my hobbies, enjoyed my work, life was good!

I can see that some women whose sense of self-worth is tied up in their reproductive abilities might feel as if they'd been rendered "less female", and become depressed about aging. Others may suffer long-term legitimate hormonal imbalances as their bodies struggle through an extended period of change, so I am certainly not saying that menopausal depression is psychosomatic... in many cases it is a very real and difficult physical condition. I think that is rather rare, though.

Most of the women I know who have gone through menopause are happier, healthier, and would rather chew glass than return to their fertile days of monthly cramps, bloating and raging headaches. Personally I consider myself quite lucky that I went through menopause at a relatively young age (done with it by age 43) and with no side-effects whatsoever!

As everything in life, it depends on the individual I suppose. Me, I had a grand total of 3 hot flashes, my periods stopped, and I was happy as a clam in sand to be carrying a playpen that would never again be a crib. No personality changes at all that I noticed, or that anyone else commented on. From that point on, I still had my size 6 figure, the same amount of energy and vigor, enjoyed my hobbies, enjoyed my work, life was good!

I can see that some women whose sense of self-worth is tied up in their reproductive abilities might feel as if they'd been rendered "less female", and become depressed about aging. Others may suffer long-term legitimate hormonal imbalances as their bodies struggle through an extended period of change, so I am certainly not saying that menopausal depression is psychosomatic... in many cases it is a very real and difficult physical condition. I think that is rather rare, though.

Most of the women I know who have gone through menopause are happier, healthier, and would rather chew glass than return to their fertile days of monthly cramps, bloating and raging headaches. Personally I consider myself quite lucky that I went through menopause at a relatively young age (done with it by age 43) and with no side-effects whatsoever!

There is a great deal of joy involved with knowing your swimmers can paddle away without repercussion.

Take advantage while it lasts, would be my advice. Call it a window of opportunity.

I have seen a number of women go through menopause at this point, including at least half a dozen in my own family, and my mother.

I didn't see any personality changes.

I have seen widely varying levels of difficulty, like DiAnna mentioned. Some who continue to have hot flashes for years, and others who just seem to quietly slip into it and have no issues.

But personality doesn't really seem affected, from what I can tell. There might be some slight impact as hormone levels change, but it doesn't seem big enough to be noticeable. A woman in her 40's or 50's already has a very well-developed personality, and that's more than just hormones. It's all the millions of neuron connections they've built over their entire lives, and it's genetics, and it's constantly on-going. A hormonal shift isn't going to throw all of that out the window.

A woman of my acquaintance dumped her partner of 12 years, started chasing round after a dude half her age (he banged her a coupla times) and got butterfly tattoos. She denied both going through the change and having a midlife crisis.

lulz

I have seen a number of women go through menopause at this point, including at least half a dozen in my own family, and my mother.

I didn't see any personality changes.

I have seen widely varying levels of difficulty, like DiAnna mentioned. Some who continue to have hot flashes for years, and others who just seem to quietly slip into it and have no issues.

But personality doesn't really seem affected, from what I can tell. There might be some slight impact as hormone levels change, but it doesn't seem big enough to be noticeable. A woman in her 40's or 50's already has a very well-developed personality, and that's more than just hormones. It's all the millions of neuron connections they've built over their entire lives, and it's genetics, and it's constantly on-going. A hormonal shift isn't going to throw all of that out the window.
Who are you trying to kid? It has a colossal impact on a woman's personality. Either you've no experience of menopausal women, or you've been hanging out with mannequins. For one thing, fertility is associated with sexuality, which happens to be the most definitive component of a woman's mental life.

Who are you trying to kid? It has a colossal impact on a woman's personality. Either you've no experience of menopausal women, or you've been hanging out with mannequins. For one thing, fertility is associated with sexuality, which happens to be the most definitive component of a woman's mental life.

Not that I or anyone else here has noticed.

You know, I have known some shallow people. Really, really, shockingly shallow people. But I have never known ANYONE whose sexuality is "the definitive component" of their mental life. I don't know where on earth you got that from or what kind of people you hang out with.

Besides that, as many here have already said, their sex drive doesn't necessarily change. It may or may not, but even if it did (and I'm sure I've known some for whom it did), that does not dictate a person's personality.

You're making some pretty baseless claims in this post, and the one above, where you reckon that the only possible reason an aging woman might want to do some stereotypical "young" things is because her hormones are changing. I can think of at least 2 or 3 more likely possibilities.

Hormones are not the sole factor in someone's personality. In fact, they aren't even the biggest.

You know, I have known some shallow people. Really, really, shockingly shallow people. But I have never known ANYONE whose sexuality is "the definitive component" of their mental life.

I've known one person (still do) whose entire existence revolves around sex. I've wondered if she wasn't an addict. She's lost jobs over having sex with one of the bosses in the coat room. She's lost marriages over it. She's lost friends over it. She gave up custody of her children over it. She banged an entire hockey team. Willingly. She screwed her daughter's boyfriend after the daughter fell asleep in the bedroom.

She has issues. I love her, but she has a lot of issues.

I've known one person (still do) whose entire existence revolves around sex. I've wondered if she wasn't an addict. She's lost jobs over having sex with one of the bosses in the coat room. She's lost marriages over it. She's lost friends over it. She gave up custody of her children over it. She banged an entire hockey team. Willingly. She screwed her daughter's boyfriend after the daughter fell asleep in the bedroom.

Yeah, there are people like that (I've known a few) and yeah, they have a serious problem.

Wow. Yeah, sounds like an addict probably with an abuse history. That's pretty sad.

Wow. Yeah, sounds like an addict probably with an abuse history. That's pretty sad.

I don't know - I've known her family since 1982, and she's never mentioned any kind of abuse. She loves attention (one of the reasons she so willingly has sex) and I'd like to think that if something happened to her, she'd happily tell me, so I'd feel sorry for her. I'm not sure, though.

I don't know - I've known her family since 1982, and she's never mentioned any kind of abuse. She loves attention (one of the reasons she so willingly has sex) and I'd like to think that if something happened to her, she'd happily tell me, so I'd feel sorry for her. I'm not sure, though.

Maybe, maybe not. My best friend hid her abuse from me for years after the fact. When I say "best friend," I mean I know literally everything about her. And she wouldn't even tell me. Some women hide it for a long time.

But maybe not. Either way, she is clearly someone with a lot of issues.

You know, I have known some shallow people. Really, really, shockingly shallow people. But I have never known ANYONE whose sexuality is "the definitive component" of their mental life. I don't know where on earth you got that from or what kind of people you hang out with.

Besides that, as many here have already said, their sex drive doesn't necessarily change. It may or may not, but even if it did (and I'm sure I've known some for whom it did), that does not dictate a person's personality.

You're making some pretty baseless claims in this post, and the one above, where you reckon that the only possible reason an aging woman might want to do some stereotypical "young" things is because her hormones are changing. I can think of at least 2 or 3 more likely possibilities.

Hormones are not the sole factor in someone's personality. In fact, they aren't even the biggest.
That the breadth and depth of your comprehension should encompass sexuality as being purely visceral, speaks volumes. Your affectation of worldly wisdom is no more than exuberance.

The good news is you're young and you'll learn. The downside is that most of what you'll learn won't be that encouraging. Trust me.

That the breadth and depth of your comprehension should encompass sexuality as being purely visceral, speaks volumes. Your affectation of worldly wisdom is no more than exuberance.

The good news is you're young and you'll learn. The downside is that most of what you'll learn won't be that encouraging. Trust me.

Where did I ever say I don't comprehend that, or live it to some extent?

My life just isn't completely controlled by it. And neither is anyone else's, short of sick people like the one mentioned above.

Where did I ever say I don't comprehend that, or live it to some extent?

My life just isn't completely controlled by it. And neither is anyone else's, short of sick people like the one mentioned above.
Read that back to yourself and see if you spot any inconsistency there.

I said you don't comprehend that. I know what you think. You've reduced the sum totality of sexuality to 'hormones'. And now you'll respond by saying you neither said nor implied any such thing. Then I'll either try to rephrase my original comments or give it up as hopeless.

Back
Top Bottom