• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Question For Christians

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Is the getting into Heaven and the after life really more important than your daily everyday life?

What if you had to pick between saving your children, family or friends here on Earth or getting into Heaven? Which would you pick?

I am asking would you give up Heaven to save them?

Is the getting into Heaven and the after life really more important than your daily everyday life?

I think most would say yes. Understandably; which is more important, less than 100 years in this crappy place, or eternity in paradise? There are various quotes from the Bible that could support this claim.

What if you had to pick between saving your children, family or friends here on Earth or getting into Heaven? Which would you pick?

Depends who's asking, and on the person. However, if one desired maximal goodness, logically one should seek heaven. (This would be difficult, as loved ones are extremely important. They just aren't as infinitely important as heaven and God.) Any option where you pick Hell is the worse option.

---
Disclaimer: I am no longer Christian.

i'm not christian, but i'll give this a go from a christian perspective, and the christians on here can correct me if i'm wrong

overall, getting into heaven is more important than everyday life, but its through everyday life they prove themselves worthy of heaven, so they are both interconnected.

and i'm sure that of they had to choose their family over their hope of salvation, they would be forgiven for making that choice, as jesus dies for sins and all that stuff.

how did i do? :)

To answer your question with a question, would you say an individual willing to sacrifice those close him, who trust and depend on that person, would be the kind of person judged worthy to be in Heaven?
If the answer to that question in No than your question is meaningless because the outcome is the same regardless of what the person chooses.

I know thats not what you are asking I just thought it was an interesting reply, but personally and as a Christian, I'd save my children, family, and friends. Christianity is about sacrifice and one could argue that such a question can't even exist in the confines of the religion.

Also personally the thought of a perfect eternal purely happy life seems in some ways dull to me, whats the point of living(ie existence and happiness) without a little pain along side to show you to real value of the good times as well as teach you lessons about life and existence. Of course the real purpose of Heaven isn't to supply earthly goods but rather its a connection with God unparalleled, at least thats the religion. What that is or how it feels I have no idea so its hard for me to value it, even though it is God.

i'm not christian, but i'll give this a go from a christian perspective, and the christians on here can correct me if i'm wrong

overall, getting into heaven is more important than everyday life, but its through everyday life they prove themselves worthy of heaven, so they are both interconnected.

and i'm sure that of they had to choose their family over their hope of salvation, they would be forgiven for making that choice, as jesus dies for sins and all that stuff.

how did i do? :)

But the point of my question was to try to make it so it is not interconnected.

I can't add much to all that.

Yes, eternity is more important that mortal life, but both do matter. I believe in Grace, rather than "Earned" salvation, but the Christian life under Grace is supposed to be a reflection of God's goodness (as much as we can manage to do so, that is.)

I can't concieve of a circumstance where saving my family and going to heaven would be mutually exclusive, so answering that aspect of your question is impossible for me. The closest I could come to thinking about that would be if my family would disown me for being a Christian, and I wouldn't let that stop me.

Christianity is about sacrifice

according to?

i always thought that christianity was about an absolute faith that god loves you and that you express reciprocation through faith ( a sort of self-reciprocating philosophy). According to the individual whose life is credited with its beginnings, it also involve adherence to the Law Of Moses. Later apologists decided to toss the latter proposition.

Sacrifice was an essential element of the Abrahamic Judaism (and still is, at least symbollically, a part of Rabbinic Judaism) but never of christian theology, except in symbolic recapitulation (the Eucharist or bread and wine ritual).

Some sects (eg: Roman Catholocism) do employ other purely symbolic 'sacrifices'.... the abjuring of certain 'luxuries' during Lent, for instance. But, no, sacrifice on the part of the adherent is not a christian principle, as such.

geo.

I've always found the concept of eternal life PERIOD to be a truly frightening thought.

I don't think of those consepts so literaly as to be able to answer.

Back
Top Bottom