• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question about walls and fences

Should everything have a fence or wall?

• Total voters

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Since insurance companies typically require a fence or wall around a pool, should we extend that requirement to all structures, lakes, forests, and any parcel of land?

Using border wall supporter logic here.

Since insurance companies typically require a fence or wall around a pool, should we extend that requirement to all structures, lakes, forests, and any parcel of land?

I have read (no link) that if your property has a pool and you fence the pool, you are still liable if someone scales the fence and drowns, the landowner can be liable.......not sure what that has to do with your post, just a thought that occurred.

It might cut down on the lawsuits.

I can't even imagine a walled-in Fire Dept.

Whoever wants walls around everything ..... move to Afghanistan.

I have read (no link) that if your property has a pool and you fence the pool, you are still liable if someone scales the fence and drowns, the landowner can be liable.......not sure what that has to do with your post, just a thought that occurred.

The point of the poll is to show the absurdity of the premise that just because a fence or wall makes sense in one area does not mean it makes sense everywhere. Example, just because you might want a wall at a border crossing where there is a dense urban area on both sides of a national border, does not mean it makes sense to build a wall across thousands of miles of border those countries might share, much of which is wilderness.

It might cut down on the lawsuits.

It would probably limit a potential jury award should some kid scale your fence and drown in your pool. The harder the pool was to get to, the lower the settlement. However, that isn't the point of the poll at all. See post #5.

The point of the poll is to show the absurdity of the premise that just because a fence or wall makes sense in one area does not mean it makes sense everywhere. Example, just because you might want a wall at a border crossing where there is a dense urban area on both sides of a national border, does not mean it makes sense to build a wall across thousands of miles of border those countries might share, much of which is wilderness.

Oh, I understand! The “Wall” has become a political football. Just a symbol.......

Personally, I've never encountered a wall that is impermeable. To imagine that a wall assures national security is absurd.

That $5 billion would be much better spent addressing core problems in Central America than treating the symptom on the border.

Thing is....that fence still wont protect you from legal action.

Kid drowns in your pool, or gets bitten by your dog (in your fenced yard)...you still end up getting sued.

People are not punished for trespassing. If they leave when you tell them to, they dont get arrested. If they stay and get hurt...you get sued.

So...somebody tell The Donald...fences and walls dont 'fix' everything.

Personally, I've never encountered a wall that is impermeable. To imagine that a wall assures national security is absurd.

That $5 billion would be much better spent addressing core problems in Central America than treating the symptom on the border.

Trump has that covered.

Should be a third choice

This thread is an absurd partisan exercise in nonsense.

Walls work and everyone knows it. Just ask Israel

We The People Will Fund The Wall

Raised so far: $12,902,057 Raised by 211,278 people in 4 days

Red:
There is no such thing.

I voted yes because your logic is sound! :mrgreen:

I answered absurd but still support the border wall. When 12-30 million willfully ignoring your laws, you need to decide to either get serious about enforcing them or change the law.

Should be a third choice

https://www.gofundme.com/thetrumpwall

• If we don’t reach our [$1,000 million] goal or come significantly close we will refund every single penny. We are working on a time frame to achieve.

It's 1.3% of the way!

Should be a third choice

Love it. What have you contributed? I am happy to pay toll next time I drive across the border. (last time I crossed the US/Mex border on land was in 1983. I guess I am due)

Keep this effort going, because you are much closer to having a wall this way than Trump's way.

I answered absurd but still support the border wall. When 12-30 million willfully ignoring your laws, you need to decide to either get serious about enforcing them or change the law.

...except the laws have been seriously enforced. Illegal crossings of the border are just 20% of what they were 15 years ago. Moreover, the population of illegal immigrants in the US has declined by 20%. This is generally yesterday's problem and under control today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/fact-check-trump-border-crossings-declining-.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuart...e-border-and-dhs-stats-prove-it/#1b875d47112a

From Forbes article: "....Due to a combination of changed demographics and improved economic conditions, the era of large-scale illegal migration by Mexicans to the U.S. – the reason cited for building a wall – is over...."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...igration-facts-children-immigrants/747934002/

The problem with Republicans is they keep proposing solutions for yesterday's problems. I guess that makes sense when you are fundamentally living in the past.

Last edited:
If that reasoning makes sense to you, then you do not need to lock your doors when you are not home.

Last edited:
Anyone who owns a house knows the obvious wisdom of this famous Robert Frost quotation:

"Good fences make good neighbors."

I can't even imagine a walled-in Fire Dept.

Whoever wants walls around everything ..... move to Afghanistan.

It is a shame that America must now build a wall to keep illegals from flooding into our country for a better life the have come to understand is guaranteed by the broke American federal government at any cost.

Trump has that covered.

Bullcrap! Show us the link that substantiates that statement. Show us where he is helping, feeding, providing shelter, educating, medicating, or somehow helping Central America. Military bases don't help Central America and neither do soldiers.
/

Bullcrap! Show us the link that substantiates that statement. Show us where he is helping, feeding, providing shelter, educating, medicating, or somehow helping Central America. Military bases don't help Central America and neither do soldiers.
/

OP - Fences.

That is a good effort, however it just happened and the monies haven't even moved. It is our policy up until today that has caused this grief for Central America and still causes. The link is an after the fact product. I notice you did not provide any links where the monies were already issued in the past and not for all things military.
/

OP - Fences.

Typing really slow here, just for you. Walls and fences are about Central America. There's a nice 40 pound book called Walls and Fences for Dummies. Perhaps I could have one air dropped on you. Just to hep' out, don't ya' know?
/

Back
Top Bottom