• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question about Twitter

If you are Twitter member, do you follow folks merely on account of their following you?

• Mostly yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly no

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Neither mostly yes nor mostly no

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Last evening I visited Momma and got to chatting with her nurse, "Betty." Betty was checking her Twitter account -- something she said she does every so many days to every other week or so. It seems she'd picked up some 150+ new followers since her last foray onto Twitter, and when I encountered her, she was clicking through them, so to speak, to determine whether she wanted to follow them as well.

Now, I'm not a Twitter member; thus foreign to me is anything beyond occasionally clicking on a tweet in a news article or an email I receive. The notion that folks must maintain their accounts and contacts is self-evident; however, the prospect of clicking through some 150 profiles and, based on what appears to be the precious little and largely inconsequential information people put there -- it's not like Linked In, a CV or other professional profiles of some stripe -- determining whether they merit one's "approbation"/apprehension is anathema to me.

Things got even more bizarre...Betty showed me explicit solicitations she'd received from folks who offer to follow her in return for her following them. I just thought "WTF?" What possesses someone to mutual-follow another on account of the fact of one or the other person following oneself? I mean, really...Neither has said anything of note, as far as they each know; neither has done something for the other; and nothing evinces either party's having done something warranting the other's acclaim, assuming following be the Twitter equivalent of such.

So my question to the Twitterers here is this: do you follow folks merely on account of their following you?

I follow a lot of folks on Twitter and suppose most of my followers would be family and friend. I honestly have never checked to see who is following me. I use Twitter mostly to follow public comments/sentiment on the news of the hour, day, or whatever. Not as a communication tool.

On Facebook I get a lot of friend requests from people I never heard of just because they saw me tagged by or I posted to somebody they knew but I didn't. I don't befriend those folks unless they are family or important shirttail relatives.

Last evening I visited Momma and got to chatting with her nurse, "Betty." Betty was checking her Twitter account -- something she said she does every so many days to every other week or so. It seems she'd picked up some 150+ new followers since her last foray onto Twitter, and when I encountered her, she was clicking through them, so to speak, to determine whether she wanted to follow them as well.

Now, I'm not a Twitter member; thus foreign to me is anything beyond occasionally clicking on a tweet in a news article or an email I receive. The notion that folks must maintain their accounts and contacts is self-evident; however, the prospect of clicking through some 150 profiles and, based on what appears to be the precious little and largely inconsequential information people put there -- it's not like Linked In, a CV or other professional profiles of some stripe -- determining whether they merit one's "approbation"/apprehension is anathema to me.

Things got even more bizarre...Betty showed me explicit solicitations she'd received from folks who offer to follow her in return for her following them. I just thought "WTF?" What possesses someone to mutual-follow another on account of the fact of one or the other person following oneself? I mean, really...Neither has said anything of note, as far as they each know; neither has done something for the other; and nothing evinces either party's having done something warranting the other's acclaim, assuming following be the Twitter equivalent of such.

So my question to the Twitterers here is this: do you follow folks merely on account of their following you?
Nope-
No different than those on FB that have 1000 plus Friends. They receive some sort of emotional gratification from numbers of people following them/friends on FB. Shallow people.

I follow mostly journalists and those in the media biz. I use twitter mostly for early access to breaking news. Often the reporters working on stories behind paywalls will work out what they are doing before they post articles. :mrgreen:

I have some really weird followers though and obscure people from TV.

Nope. If someone follows me, I click on their profile and see what I think. If I like what I see, I'll give them a follow. If they beg for follows or RTs, I don't bother.

I only talk politics on Twitter, though, and most of the people I follow are news agencies, talking heads, etc. Plus a few funny ones. :)

I follow mostly journalists and those in the media biz. I use twitter mostly for early access to breaking news. Often the reporters working on stories behind paywalls will work out what they are doing before they post articles. :mrgreen:

I have some really weird followers though and obscure people from TV.

Same here - people don't take social media seriously, but I look on Twitter for breaking news before I do anywhere else, and many, many times, news on Twitter has broken before regular news outlets.

I stopped using Twitter a few years ago but I didn’t follow people just because they followed me. I didn’t care about follower numbers and I didn’t want my feed filled up with things I wasn’t interested in. Unless your livelihood depends on it, I don’t get the need to have a bunch of followers. That just feels too much like an obligation.

TY for your feedback.

Cheers.

This poll would've been better as a simple yes/no/sometimes. Waaay less confusing that way.

Back
Top Bottom