• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question about quoting other posts

sangha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Is there a rule that requires posters to include the link to the post being quoted when quoting someone else? If not, there should be

I ask because there's a poster who repeatedly quotes posters but deletes the link and the user's name from the quote box in order to avoid notifying the poster that they've been quoted.

sangha said:
Is there a rule that requires posters to include the link to the post being quoted when quoting someone else? If not, there should be

I ask because there's a poster who repeatedly quotes posters but deletes the link and the user's name from the quote box in order to avoid notifying the poster that they've been quoted.
:comp:

:2bigcry:

:clap:

:tink:

:yawn:

What do you mean?

You want a rule to specifically target a posting style you don't like? Can't see it happening.

Why would anyone deliberately quote someone but remove their name from the quote?

Why would anyone deliberately quote someone but remove their name from the quote?

that's what I am wondering

only time I've seen that or rather noticed that is when I break someone's quote down, and answer it sentence by sentence...then the first piece of the quote contains the name but not the rest

Are you sure it's for nefarious purposes? Could be he likes to comment right under paragraphs and deletes the quotes code because, well, it's much easier that way.

But question. If he doesn't include the citation, how do you know he's quoting?

I don't see as a big deal if the point is about the post and not the poster. I may want to quote a dumb or particularly obnoxious post, but not rub the OP's nose in it.

Are you sure it's for nefarious purposes? Could be he likes to comment right under paragraphs and deletes the quotes code because, well, it's much easier that way.

Because he leaves the posters name in. All he does is take out the post #. Try quoting your own post (the one I'm quoting now) but delete the 1066206183 that links to the actual post. You'll see that you don't get notified that you've been quoted.

This is a test.

Final test.

Because he leaves the posters name in. All he does is take out the post #. Try quoting your own post (the one I'm quoting now) but delete the 1066206183 that links to the actual post. You'll see that you don't get notified that you've been quoted.

Yep, I see what you mean. Reason for two test posts...first one I didn't delete my name at first. Posted, it showed my name, and showed in Who a Quoted Me.

Second one I deleted my name and the number. Didn't notify me.

Wonder why someone would go thru all that work...? Good catch.

I mean this

Y'know, not so long ago we didn't even have the quote notification feature. Funny how we get to feel entitled to something once we get used to it. Personally, I don't see where it would make sense to make it against the rules to NOT post in a way that notifies another user.

"Is there a rule that requires posters to include the link to the post being quoted when quoting someone else? If not, there should be"

Are you sure your not a liberal?

oh wow

what I don't learn

I never knew that :shock:

Since there's no requirement here to quote someone accurately and/or completely when responding to a post, maintaining the integrity and meaning of another member's posts, there's no way in hell this should be considered a legitimate complaint.

Since there's no requirement here to quote someone accurately and/or completely when responding to a post, maintaining the integrity and meaning of another member's posts, there's no way in hell this should be considered a legitimate complaint.

good point. the op is one to change the quote as he replies to you. I find that annoying as hell

Y'know, not so long ago we didn't even have the quote notification feature. Funny how we get to feel entitled to something once we get used to it. Personally, I don't see where it would make sense to make it against the rules to NOT post in a way that notifies another user.

And people will still do it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom